HCG diet safe?

Options
I'm debating on starting the HCG diet. I have a friend that has lost 80lbs in the last year on it, and I'm very impressed. The problem is that, even at my weight (225), I know how unhealthy 600 calories a day divided into two meals can be for the body, that on top of skipping breakfast. The idiot at GNC that sold me my HCG drops 'gave' me protein shakes knowing that it is not acceptable on HCG.

So, I guess this is my question...Is it possible to lose the weight taking HCG and not cutting back to 600 calories? I'm currently at 1300, and rarely reach that goal. I'm usually 100-200 below goal. Can I cut back to 1000-900 and lose MORE weight with the drops? Or, will I lose the same amount without the drops because of the change in calorie intake? Someone please help! Thank you!

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    People lose 80 pounds in a year all the time without practically starving themselves. Just saying.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    no. the trick to this diet is 600 calories a day. whacked.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    People lose 80 pounds in a year all the time without practically starving themselves. Just saying.

Hellz yeah!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    600 calories a day is starving yourself. No wonder you lose weight....

That being said the "drops" are a gimmick. People might lose weight on them, but as soon as they actually start eating again, they gain it back.

You will lose weight if you eat at a deficit and exercise, and you will be healthier too.
  • lisakreymborg
    Options
    Most fads like this we find out years later what the effects are. We won't know about what this does to someone's health in the long run for awhile, but you already know 600 calories and fake hormones are unhealthy, we all do-it's a matter of if you want to take the risk and be part of the first wave of people who find out what the serious side effects are.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I'm debating on starting the HCG diet. I have a friend that has lost 80lbs in the last year on it, and I'm very impressed. The problem is that, even at my weight (225), I know how unhealthy 600 calories a day divided into two meals can be for the body, that on top of skipping breakfast. The idiot at GNC that sold me my HCG drops 'gave' me protein shakes knowing that it is not acceptable on HCG.

So, I guess this is my question...Is it possible to lose the weight taking HCG and not cutting back to 600 calories? I'm currently at 1300, and rarely reach that goal. I'm usually 100-200 below goal. Can I cut back to 1000-900 and lose MORE weight with the drops? Or, will I lose the same amount without the drops because of the change in calorie intake? Someone please help! Thank you!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts, groups, profile names, or profile bylines. Photos intended to promote or glamorize extreme thinness are also not permitted.
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You'll get no answers here just criticism. message me and I'll let you know about it, and there are a few of the people on my friends list, there are many different protocols...but not all of them work.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    This is a topic that causes a HUGE amount of controversy on here. All you're going to get are negative answers, people *****ing at you, blah blah blah. The thread will be locked, soon. Wouldn't suggest posting or mentioning it again, because it just ends up being a drama fest. *rolls eyes*
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    You asked a question ...

Is the HCG diet safe?

The answer ...

No ... not only is it not safe but it is so unsafe that the FDA is pulling it from the market. Coincidence I think not.
    Healthy eating and regular exercise work too... and have better long term results. Sure the HCG people lose weight quickly, but they do not keep it off.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    HCG Drops= SCAM!

Save your money. Eat well and excercise.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    You'll get no answers here just criticism. message me and I'll let you know about it, and there are a few of the people on my friends list, there are many different protocols...but not all of them work.
    if you follow this advice, ask for a health guarantee...bet you dont get one
  • phoenix1030
    Options
    That's how I feel, too. I'm a little (lot) miffed that the GNC guy wasn't very specific to my questions. I wish I had a Complete Nutrition here. They have always been very honest with me. I lost 20ish with their products and guidance, my husband has lost almost 40. I was just curious if there were any others had something positive to say about it.

Oh, and CONGRATS, IrishHarpy1! You are a testament to what can be done!
  • termc2
    Options
    I know a few people that did this and when all the weight was gone it was back quicker than I put it back on...
  • kellimr
    Options
    I knew someone who tried this diet recently. This person lost over 20lbs the first month. But she went back to eating 'normally' the next month and by the looks of things gained it all back in a very short amount of time. 600 cal a day will of COURSE make you lose weight rapidly....but I guarantee when you go back to a normal diet you will gain it back (plus maybe more) just as quickly.
  • TiffanyDeanee
    Options

I agree with this ^^ plus shouldn't you want to lose weight slowly for the health and physical benefits. I don't think HCG should be the answer because 600 cals just seems way to low. Especially since they saying is the average body need 1200 cals to function.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    um no.
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    if you follow this advice, ask for a health guarantee...bet you dont get one

Not here to argue, here to answer the OP's question, while stil following the rules of the forums which will soon be no talk of HCG. Just following the rules.
  • kranholdka
    Options
    I did the HCG diet and lost 40 lbs in the 40 days. For me, personally, it really jumpstarted my weight loss and I am now down 75 lbs! - and KEEPING IT OFF. There are obviously risks with any diet like this, just do your research. The version I did of it I only ate 500 calories and no, it will not work if you are still eating your normal intake.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    First, it's true that you can lose weight with HCG, I have friend who tried it and able to achieve their weight goal with ease. However, i'm not impressed by the way they look, he looks older, weak and dry.

Would rather do it in natural way and achieve my goal looking fresh and young.
This discussion has been closed.