Any good quinoa recipes?

Options
k011185
k011185 Posts: 320 Member
I am really liking quinoa, but am having a really hard time finding new recipes for it that are tasty. Anyone have any?
I make couscous with it, or just toss it on salad or with roasted veggies, but that's getting boring.

Replies

• tiffanyvc
    Options
    I found a good one on Pinterest. I'll try to find it for you. But in the meantime, check out pinterest for some. They're all over on that site.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    http://www.cookingquinoa.net/quinoa-recipes

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/

I loooove this one:
    Quinoa-Stuffed Acorn Squash:
    • 1 acorn squash
• 1 T butter
• 1 C quinoa
• 2 C chicken/veggie stock or broth (reduced sodium)
• 1 T extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small yellow onion, chopped finely
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 habanero peppers, chopped finely (remove seeds for less heat)
• 1/2 C mushrooms, chopped
• 2 C spinach, uncooked
• 1/2 feta, crumbled
• 1 T parsley, chopped
• 1 T fresh lemon juice
    (Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees)

Sprinkle with a little bit of salt and pepper and put 1/2 T butter in each squash half.
    Place on a baking tray and roast at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. Make sure squash is tender to the fork upon removal (otherwise, stick it back in the oven for a few more minutes).
    In the meantime, start cooking your quinoa, according to directions. You can use water, but I find chicken stock/broth to be a bit more flavorful. I generally try to get low-sodium, so I can control levels of salt. And, of course, use vegetable broth if you want to keep this dish vegetarian-friendly.
    While the quinoa is cooking and the squash is roasting, pour your extra virgin olive oil into a skillet over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms, onion, garlic, and habaneros until they’re slightly browned, about 7-10 minutes.
    Season with salt and pepper to taste and squeeze lemon juice over.
    Now, turn heat to low and add the cooked quinoa to the veggie mixture. Throw in 2 cups of spinach and stir to combine and wilt spinach a bit.
    Add in feta cheese and parsley here, as well. Save a little of each for topping, if you want.
    Spoon quinoa mixture into acorn squash halves and top with a little extra feta. And parsley too, if you desire.
  • start121
    start121 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did a short nutritional cooking course at the end of last year and one of the recipes was for a warm quinoa salad. Basically cook the quinoa up as normal. In another pan lightly cook onion, a little red chilli and some garlic. Add corgette and aspargus (or any other veg you want or like) and fry up a little. Add a pinch or turmeric, curry powder and corriander seeds and cook that all up. Add that to the completely cooked quinoa. Add a large bunch of fresh corriander and flat leaf parsley roughly chopped and let that wilt in the heat of the quinoa. Add some zest and juice of lime and lemon (to suit your own taste). I found it delish!! It goes really well with some fresh salmon or mackeral.

I make it about once a week :-)
  • sexymarlyn
    Options
    Yes what i do is i boil it in water just atouch of salt then i cute up in small cubes zucchini,carrots,onion, broccoli (any vegetable that u have available) I put them in raw after the quinoa is cooked and add lemon juice and zest and the a touch of olive oil ..lots of pepper and its ready to eat ..you can always add fresh herbs like parsley and coriander. makes for deliciousness!!!!
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    This salad is awesome. Very tasty and loaded with protein and fiber. This recipe is adapted slightly from the post on www.ohsheglows.com, which is a food blog. Here is a link to the original if you are interested:

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/21/red-quinoa-and-black-bean-vegetable-salad/

Red Quinoa and Black Bean Veggie Salad with avacado

Salad:
    1 cup uncooked red quinoa
    1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
    1 small red onion, chopped
    1 small avocado, chopped into 1 inch pieces

Dressing:
    4-5 tbsp of fresh lime juice (Juice from 2 small limes) (I used Nellie & Joe's brand Key Lime Juice)
    1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tsp ground cumin, or more to taste

Directions:
    1. Cook 1 cup red quinoa according to package directions.

2. While quinoa is cooking, prepare the chopped vegetables and whisk together the dressing.

3. Allow quinoa to cool after cooking for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add the beans and vegetables and toss well.

4. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well with salt and pepper to taste. Bring salad to room temperature before serving. Keep fresh in a sealed container for 1-2 days.

Yields: Six - 1 cup servings

Salad nutrition (per serving):
    233 calories
    5 g fat
    0 g saturated fat
    8 g protien
    9 g fiber
    38 g carbs
    3 g sugar

Dressing nutrition (per 1 tablespoon)
    49 calories
    5 g fat
    1 g saturated fat
    0 g protien
    0 g fiber
    0 g carbs
    0 g sugar
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Bump, love quinoa but struggle to get good recipes. thanks
  • Amalthia79
    Options
    I cooked the quinoa first and set it aside. Then I browned some lean ground turkey and added some taco seasoning. Then I added some no salt added kernel corn and diced tomatoes. After they cooked up a few minutes I added the quinoa to the dish and it was awesome!!
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat quinoa - admittedly it's a salad, but it's a little different. The relative amounts are arbitrary - you can adjust the proportions and it will still be yummy. Inspired by a wheatberry salad that's sometimes available at Whole Foods.

1/4 cu (dry) red quinoa - cooked (I like to use when still a little warm)
    diced apple (I prefer Macs, but any will do)
    1/8-1/4 cu. dried cranberries
    2 chopped scallions
    1/4 cu. chopped pecans
    low-fat balsamic vinaigrette or other dressing of your choice
    mixed baby lettuce

Toss the first 5 ingedients well, add dressing, and then pile onto a bed of lettuce. Be careful not to add too much dressing - the quinoa soaks it up fast so it doesn't look like there's much on there. The balsamic has a strong enough flavor that you don't need too much, and sometimes I add a splash of pear vinegar to make the dressing go a little farther without more oil.
  • Eryndil
    Options
    The best quinoa recipe book I've found is called "365 Quinoa" and is available at Chapters.

It has 365 recipes of things to do with this great grain from simple quinoa salads, to breakfasts to pizza crusts!
  • hoheisel
    Options
    i found an awesome one at allrecipes.com...it is called quinoa and black beans..enjoy!
  • spideygirl1976
    Options
    There is also a REALLY good on the Epicurious site. It is just quinoa salad but has seeds and fruit in it.
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    someone else kindly shared this one and i love it. great as a snack or for dinner or lunch.

Makes 6 decent sized fritters

Quinoa - Cooked, 1 cup cooked (185g)
    White - Flour, 40 g
    Feta, 30 grams
    Spinach - Frozen, chopped or leaf, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 60 g
    Onions - Raw, 50 g
    Generic - Egg Raw - Large, 2 large
    Oil - Olive, 1 tablespoon
    Chopped parsley (about half a cup)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Beat the eggs lightly, then mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Make into fritters and fry in a non-stick pan with a bit of olive oil. I baked mine in the oven to finish them off for a while, too. Super yum with some stir fried veges - would be good with a salad or something, too!

And only 126 cals per fritter (they're reasonably large, too!)
  • moose9591
    moose9591 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Easy and simple

Cook your quinoa, add salsa and either chicken or sausage. it is a great meal!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    My favourite is quinoa mushroom 'risotto'- I use a little too much water to make it a risotto like texture then add mushrooms, garlic, herbs, cream cheese et voila!!

you could make any risotto version you want- blue cheese/ butternut & sage/ smoked fish/ pea & mint/ smoked salmon & dill/ chicken & bacon.

I've also used it to make paella- with lots of herbs, fish stock and fish & chorizo.

Or, quite simply just stir through some pesto- NOM!
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later...Bought my 1st bag of Quinoa this week...Havent made any yet. Im going to try it for Breakfast tomorrow
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    cookingquinoa.net
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • allthesunshine
    allthesunshine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something a bit more on the sweet side, MAKE THESE! http://www.cookingquinoa.net/quinoa-cake-doughnuts