Any good quinoa recipes?

Options

Replies

• NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the recipes on here yet, sorry if this is kind of a duplicate...

I boil the Quinoa with a cube of chicken broth.
    Once cooled, I add pack of (cooked and cooled) Frozen southwestern corn (has red peppers, onions and corn in it)
    Diced cucumbers
    Craisins
    Mix it up.

I LOVE quinoa! And my kids love it too which is awesome because though it's not "low calorie" its' so good for you!!!!

My kids like it with just butter and a little adobo. :) They don't like corn, weirdos. :)
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I gotta try this stuff!
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Spinach, Quinoa and Cherry Salad from Vegetarian Times

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/9903
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    wow so many tasty sounding recipes - can't wait to try them!

(I too have just been boiling it in lightly salted water and serving in place of rice or tossing about 1/2 cup into my salads.)
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kevww1982
    Options
    bump... i bought a bunch from costco and dont really know what to do with it.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The other night I stuffed poblanos with it.

Char the poblanos over a fire and then peel them, pull out the stems and seeds.
    Cook the quinoa with some onions, cumin and chicken stock.
    When the quinoa is done and still hot dump in a bunch of shredded monterrey jack cheese. Let cool and stuff the quinoa/cheese mixture in the poblanos.
    Put them in a baking dish and cover with some kind of sauce - I've used enchilada sauce and it was pretty good. The other night I mixed a can of cream of chicken soup with a can of cream of jalapeno soup and a handful of monterrey jack.
    Put in a 350 degree oven for about 20 or 30 minutes.
  • LishaCole
    Options
    Quinoa is soo good.

Recently I have been on a "southwest quinoa salad" kick. Black beans, corn, peppers, onions, cilantro, lime juice and hot sauce.
  • unsound
    unsound Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You probably realized this already, but you can substitute it for brown rice pretty much anywhere you'd use rice -- soups, salads, casseroles, vegetable dishes, etc. You can even cook it in a rice cooker, no problem. I eat it constantly.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    bump

Glad the original poster started this topic. I've had some quinoa sitting on my shelf for quite awhile because I just hadn't put in the effort to find some good ways to use it.

Thanks for all the great recipes and ideas, everyone!
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    BUMP
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Gotta bump these to print later at home....especially the quinoa stuffed acorn squash. Thanks for all these.
  • LishaCole
    Options
    Oh and also, it is delicious as a substitute for crackers or bread crumbs in any sort of meatloaf, or meatball.

I have converted many haters with meatloaf made with ground turkey, quinoa and a bit of spinach, haha.
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    go and search on eatingwell.com
    They have many great ideas and recipes!
  • shar0006
    shar0006 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making stir fry with quinoa? We just do veggies, some boiled egg, low sodium soy sauce in wok, cook our quinoa in a pot normally (could add some garlic powder) and then mix it in with the veggies just before they are cooked. Very satisfying and meets any chinese food cravings. ;)
  • ChickaDee2012
    ChickaDee2012 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh now you're talking! Yummmm risotto!
  • ChickaDee2012
    ChickaDee2012 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I meant to include this quote in my post!
    My favourite is quinoa mushroom 'risotto'- I use a little too much water to make it a risotto like texture then add mushrooms, garlic, herbs, cream cheese et voila!!

you could make any risotto version you want- blue cheese/ butternut & sage/ smoked fish/ pea & mint/ smoked salmon & dill/ chicken & bacon.

I've also used it to make paella- with lots of herbs, fish stock and fish & chorizo.

Or, quite simply just stir through some pesto- NOM!