Made me laugh....Silly girls in the gym.

Options

Replies

• tkaawa
    tkaawa Posts: 302
    Options
    I had just got there lol but okay nancy...

I just don't really understand the issue here. She wasn't talking on her cellphone or actually doing anything distracting, so it was really just her pure existence and appearance that bothered you. These threads come up here all the time about girls at the gym who choose to dress a certain way and I just don't get how it affects anyone else's workout. In one thread, we tell people who are self-conscious about going to the gym that they shouldn't worry because no one notices, while another simultaneous thread calls people out for things that don't have any direct effect on them.
    [/quote]
  • worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    But I have noticed at my gym its not so much the girls who are silly its the guys! there is a group that comes in and wears next to nothing shirt that are super tight and to be honest I am not sure if i have ever seen them actually lift. They kinda migrate to different machines and drink their protein shakes and talk then move on to the next machine.

Agreed. I know the girls that the original poster is talking about, but I also know it's not just a 'silly girls' phenomenon. I tend not to give those people a second thought because I'm far too busy sweating it out on the ellipticals. :)
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    HAHA. i know what you mean.. and for the record MEN do this also. You know, the big buff ones who spend more time walking around the machines/weights than lifting them!

Such a distraction though. I don't know who they are really trying to impress. So sad.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I work out at home now mainly but when I went to the gym I didn't really notice other people... I mean coming & going maybe but during my workout hardly ever. I would assume someone with fake lashes & a pound of makeup & extenisons down at the gym is looking for attention but if thats what makes them happy, then let them! I couldn't have cared less about looking "hot" at the gym, cute/pretty maybe but I try to look 'nice' all the time if I can. I work out to look hot when it matters beach/home/goingout/etc not when sweating at the gym lol
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have on make up when I go to the gym because most of the time I've just left work. I agree with the poster that said just do your own work out & let everyone else do whatever they're there to do. If she wants to pay $50 a month to prance then so be it.
  • tkaawa
    tkaawa Posts: 302
    Options
    I definitely agree with you on this one. I tell all my friends to come to the gym where I go because I feel as though people that are working out are actually working out...not paying attention to the other people working out. I don't judge a book by it's cover and think everyone comes in all different shapes and sizes.....just continue to work out for yourself and stop wasting energy on others...its your time wasted not theirs...

Have a Gr8 Day:-)
  • worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    Lol I'm not trying to offend anyone, like I said, made me laugh and was just trying to see if anyone else has to deal with beauty queens at the gym.

Not sure what there is to "deal" with...

there are plenty of those people at my university gym, but I don't get any less of a workout. I generally don't judge the people at the gym, whether they're overweight, dressed poorly, overdressed, whatever. If they're not getting in my way or interfering with my workout, it really doesn't concern me. If someone's eating Skittles on the treadmill next to me, I'll still leave 600 calories lighter. If someone's grunting and groaning and posing in the weight room, I'll still get in just as many reps, and that's what I'm there to do.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I always get the stink eye because I am sweating and they are not! Yesterday a girl was taking pictures of herself walking on the treadmill. I couldn't help but chuckle.

I've seen people (guys and gals alike) doing that.
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    let it be; in time these people will become less noticeable.
  • pirate4hire
    Options
    A perk to having a weight bench and full weight set at home is there is no one around to distract or be impatient for you to finish up.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    While I don't go to the gym any longer since buying my stationary bike and weights, when I did go I saw stuff like this too. I'm not jealous in the least (like one person said) but come on......I'm there to work out, sweat my *kitten* off and NOT look for people to hook up with as I probably smell and look like crap.

I've heard gyms are sometimes big pick up joints for singles or cheaters but come on, get some class and just do what you are suppose to in a gym...even if it's just maintaining your weight. Put some effort into it and get off your high horse thinking you need to look glamorous because NEWS FLASH.....everyone looks like crap at the gym lol!
  • NatalieWiley
    NatalieWiley Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I changed gyms for this reason. It seemed everyone went to the gym for a fashion show and to socialize more so than to work out. It was unfortunate to leave that gym because it was 2 miles away and now i have to drive 6 miles. Which doesnt sound that much farther but that gives me a additional few minutes to try talk myself out of the gym :P

I like my gym now. It's very small and mainly populated by older people. I go at 5am or 8pm and there's never more than 4 other people in the gym!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    According to my 27 year old son it's called 'trolling'. I thought the story was a hoot!
  • etajr
    etajr Posts: 49
    Options
    Perhaps you should talk to her and see what she is about and then form an opinion at that point. Perhaps she looks at you and wishes she looked as good as you do!!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Two things I've learned on MFP-

1. Ugly guys are creepy.
    2. Pretty girls have self esteem issues.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I often go to the gym with my hair and make up done because I go during my lunch hour from work. There isn't enough time to fully redo my hair and make up after my workout, so I've found ways to just shower my body and then freshen my hair and face without washing it.

However, I do know the kind of girls the OP is referring to. I've seen them at my gym also. They come in (sometimes fully dressed) and just sit on an exercise bike, not even pedaling, and text on their phones. Or get on the treadmill and only go about 2 mph while chatting on their cell phones the whole time. I don't really get why they're bothering to come to the gym, but to each their own. They don't bother me unless their cell phone chatter gets loud, in which case I just turn up the volume on my iPod.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Two things I've learned on MFP-

1. Ugly guys are creepy.
    2. Pretty girls have self esteem issues.

But only at the gym...
  • missleah26
    missleah26 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I definitely saw the preening (both male and female) at one of my old gyms to be distracting. If you're the type to go all Van Damme and not pay any attention to what's going on around you, all the power to you.

As for me, I was a spaz at the gym because I used to hate going. I'd have to distract myself by reading or watching TV while on a bike/treadmill to take my mind off actually being there. I already felt like a huge doofus, so someone walking around like they're God's gift to the planet drove me nuts. I fully admit I was being little-miss-judgy-pants, but I couldn't help but scoff and roll my eyes.

All that changed when I switched to an all-women's gym. No strutting, no preening, just women there getting their workout in. Treadmills, lifting, classes, it's all good-- we all know why we're there, and it's not to pick up guys. Amazing.
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    There are other people in the gym when I'm working out ?? Never knew they were their...FOCUS ???
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Ha I'm always a hot mess at the gym. To each their own. I find those girls amusing :) And LOL at the girl taking pics of herself on the treadmill.