Sugar?Splenda?Stevia?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I like Xylitol, and it sounds like a chemical but it is natural and has 40% fewer calories than sugar yet tastes exactly like sugar, no weird aftertaste like Stevia, Slenda, etc. I use it in coffee and to bake with, but I use it in small amounts.

No disrespect, but it sounds like a chemical because it is a chemical. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it is not a chemical. If it was not for hundreds or thousands of minute chemical reactions our bodies would not function. The human body is the most complex chemical reactor ever made.

This....people seem to develop this extremely narrow focus after some time on this site. Suddenly Sodas are evil, sweeteners are poison, people just go to the extremes in their line of thinking.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I like Xylitol, and it sounds like a chemical but it is natural and has 40% fewer calories than sugar yet tastes exactly like sugar, no weird aftertaste like Stevia, Slenda, etc. I use it in coffee and to bake with, but I use it in small amounts.

No disrespect, but it sounds like a chemical because it is a chemical. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it is not a chemical. If it was not for hundreds or thousands of minute chemical reactions our bodies would not function. The human body is the most complex chemical reactor ever made.

This....people seem to develop this extremely narrow focus after some time on this site. Suddenly Sodas are evil, sweeteners are poison, people just go to the extremes in their line of thinking.

I don't know about other people, but my anti-artificial sweetener mindset started after a chemistry lecturer did a talk on artificial sweeteners and stevia about 10 years ago. Since then, for the most part, I've cut all artificial sweeteners, and if by chance I eat a bit of aspartame or sucralose without realizing it I get massive stomach cramps and headaches...tell me the stuff isn't bad for me...please.
  • Jules_Rules
    Jules_Rules Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh I totally agree! My body knows exactly when its had aspartame, headaches galore! The bottom line is we don't need it or any other sugar alternative, its a convenience thing to make having a sweet treat cal free, when really we should just be doing without the sweetness altogether. Just retrain your taste buds into a loving the flavor of things like iced tea with lemon, having fruits and nuts be the flavor enhancer you are looking for, not sweeteners. A little bit of real cane sugar is not going to hurt anyone from time to time, but for the most part just learn to live without sweet!! Even my coffee is now sugar/syrup free. I've been doing this for 2yrs now and love it but it does take time.
  • Westel730
    Options
    Stevia is an organic material taken from the stevia plant. I've been experimenting in cooking with it - sometimes I have good results, sometimes not.

I recently put up several pints of lime pickles using Domino's half-sugar/half-stevia blend. The instructions say to use just 1/2 cup for every 1 cup called for in the recipe. My recipe called for 4 cups of sugar. Logically, I should have used 2 cups of the sugar/stevia blend; however, I only used 1 cup. My pickles turned out crisp, sweet-tangy, and delicious.

One success at least!
  • peanutbutterrunner
    Options
    I use stevia because it sounds the best. I mean, it comes from a plant and isn't artificial.
    And I know this is going to sound dumb but I don't care to read a thousand articles on why it's good or bad. I like it, it works for me, and hasn't killed me yet. ;]