Question for the divorced daters.....

Options
La_Amazona
La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
How long did you wait to date?

I keep going back and forth on this.. Ex left back in October but our marriage was over way before that. We had no kids.

Divorce was filed soon after that.

I am on a mission to actually enjoy being single. So far so good. I have dated here and there. I had my rebound with 1 guy whom I saw for 2 months. (can't believe I even went out with him!)

I've been on dates here and there with cool guys, have had my random make out sessions and most recently started seeing a guy whom I enjoy his company, am attracted to but we agreed to be just friends. Spending time with him reminded me how nice it is to have someone to just hang out and have fun with.

One minute I tell myself I want to seriously date and find someone and the next minute I want to just be ME for a bit and prove to myself that I can enjoy being ALONE. I hate being bored, lonely, etc but I want to overcome that.

I miss the intimacy of being with someone. I'm not into casual dating nor hooking up so that's out of the question. I'm not desperate, I don't feel I NEED someone but sometimes I want someone.

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    After my marriage ended I did the online dating thing and went on a zillion first dates and a few flings before suddenly finding my soul mate. So my advice is quantity, bo big expectations, and just be patient.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    why does there have to be a set time limit? shouldnt you act on your own when it feels right?
  • lilfurson
    Options
    I agree...only you can know when it's the right time and you are ready.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    I think I waited just long enough... : ))
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    why does there have to be a set time limit? shouldnt you act on your own when it feels right?

^^This
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Just live your life.

When the right one comes along - you'll know. Don't set a time frame or anything like that. Be you. Enjoy yourself. Eventually, he'll show up.... :)
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I was never officially married. I was with a guy for 7years and we were engaged. I went crazy being alone, cooking for one, sleeping alone, everything. I started online dating right away and met someone who I thought was awesome! (Turns out we both just got out of serious relationships and couldn't handle being alone). Was with him for almost a year before we broke up. Upon the break up was not sad about rebound guy, I went back to mourning my original ex. Apparently I used him to hold onto what I thought I needed...a partner. It actually took just random casual dating for me to realize what I wanted in a mate and out of life. After a year or so it actually became fun meeting new people! Some of them are still friends and others are mortal enemies. 4 years after original ex I found the man of my dreams. I realized that when I stopped looking he kinda just landed in my lap. Best of luck and focus on you!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I was separated for a year (hoping to reconcile) and then met someone and had a rebound marriage. After that trainwreck was over, I made two time factors for considering marriage: Get back to even financially and when I could go a month without even thinking about my exes. I dated but made it clear that marriage wasn't something I was considering for a while. I accomplished both of the above and have been divorced longer than I was married (both wives combined). I like being single, dating, enjoying my life on my terms. I know I'll meet a woman one day and know she's the one. But until then, I'm not in a hurry at all.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    You need one of these

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHMa2mSX_WsWrwlz9CJD_A0jcy4mhizvmdrx5NLmUCAcwDF6VX
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I waited quite a while to date - but wasted no time finding a relationship of "convenience".

Being there for my daughter and not subdividing my attention was more important that moving on to the next man. Having a warm body on call helped me to stay on task. :wink:
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options

What he said.
  • ElementalMoe
    ElementalMoe Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've been single for 2.5 years, and still haven't found anyone worth dating. I've probably been on about 50 first dates (literally), but am holding off for that "spark".

I enjoy being single for the most part, but get lonely from time to time. . However being alone is better than being in a mediocre relationship.

I think you'll know when you're ready. . . "They" say you need 1 year of singledom to recuperate from 5 years of togetherness, and this equation seemed quite accurate for me.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    How long did you wait to date?

I keep going back and forth on this.. One minute I tell myself I want to seriously date and find someone and the next minute I want to just be ME for a bit and prove to myself that I can enjoy being ALONE. I hate being bored, lonely, etc but I want to overcome that.

I miss the intimacy of being with someone. I'm not into casual dating nor hooking up so that's out of the question. I'm not desperate, I don't feel I NEED someone but sometimes I want someone.

I didn't wait long, but like you I went back and forth, at times wanting the familiarity of being part of a couple, at times feeling being alone was what I needed and that I could learn to enjoy it. In retrospect this was all about learning how to be a single person, how to be content on my own and how to allow new relationships to evolve naturally, rather than expecting them (and my role in them) to be the same as in a long marriage.

I would follow your instincts. The directions they are leading you in may be contradictory but they will help you resolve the contradictory feelings behind the impulses. It's in that resolution, gained through experience, that you will find what makes you most happy, whatever that may be.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    After I get my divorce, I'm done with men for several years.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb that I was told (and was true for me) was one year of alone-ness after splitting for each five years of the marriage. I have several divorced friends, and they agree with the number as a basic guideline, also.

But I agree with a lot of the others-- whatever feels right to you.
  • 00Steph
    Options
    Getting a puppy was my solution after my divorce so I wouldn't jump into anything out of lonliness.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    . . . "They" say you need 1 year of singledom to recuperate from 5 years of togetherness, and this equation seemed quite accurate for me.
    It seems to be the opposite in my case: 5 years of singledom for each year of togetherness. I was married for 7 years. That means I ought to be ready to date any day now! :drinker:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I dated right away after my divorce. Big mistake. Now, I'm just enjoying being alone. I'll probably stay alone for a while. I've recently realized that I'm undatable because I have issues still that I need to work through. So, here I am, just hanging out and enjoying silence. I know that I'll eventually get to a point where I'll want to meet someone, and I know that when I am ready, they'll be right there in front of me. So, for now, I'm enjoying now. And, that's about all I have to say about that.
  • sharonucd
    Options
    You need one of these

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHMa2mSX_WsWrwlz9CJD_A0jcy4mhizvmdrx5NLmUCAcwDF6VX

love it!
  • hobbitgrrl
    hobbitgrrl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I enjoy being single for the most part, but get lonely from time to time. . However being alone is better than being in a mediocre relationship.

^ This is so true!

I've been single for 11 years and for the most part, I really enjoy it. It's different for everyone...I have friends who waited between six months to a year before dating again and it worked very well for them.