GREAT read on plateau-ing!

Options

Replies

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, been trying to tell some of my mfp friend this, but they don't listen. oh well.
  • alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Options
    Great article - thanks very much!!!
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Sharing with the rest of my MFP friends list :)
  • AmyWalsh711
    AmyWalsh711 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    The suggestion from the Mayo Clinic typefies their--frankly irresponsible--cookie cutter approach! Some time ago I checked their website on perimenopausal weight gain. The website explained that women in their fifties get fat because they live on the couch and eat junk food. Misogynistic much?

I'm fifty, eat extremely healthily, and work out every day, cardio and strength. I still gained weight. I also got so angry that I complained to them. Mayo's response was equally cookie cutter in that it suggested to check back on their site frequently as new medical discoveries are made daily. Here's hoping for swift progress in the area of attitude transplants!

Really? I'd like to see that.
  • Dahavol
    Options
    Very interesting article on the weight loss plateau. A lot of the article is very consistent, but its overall conclusion seems a little off. It shows an example of when people hit plateau's after large caloric deficits, they should eat less deficit and then will break through the plateau. That seems reasonable and pretty consistent with what I have read. However, it concluded by saying that people should therefore not have large deficits. That's what gets me a bit, the guy loses 30lbs on a large deficit, then plateaus, then breaks through the plateau by raising calories (and resetting the hormones). Why does that make the initial loss problematic? Additionally if the guy eats at maintenance for a while and get back to normal hormone levels (as has been shown to happen in two to three weeks), why then is further large deficit a problem. Obviously slow and steady works and has a variety of positive advantages over other methods. That doesn't mean that, situationally dependent, other methods do not also have a legitimate ability to work as well.
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    awesome info. Thanks for posting!!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    bump
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the post. The thought of having to work out more than i do now (an hour per day x6 days a week) to get off this plateau just simply was a motivation killer for me.:angry: I realize that strength training is the one thing I need to be doing. Now to find something I enjoy.... Thanks again for the post.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I thought you had something good going until you said ketosis means muscle consumption. Ketosis is a state where your body is burning it's own fat.

Ketosis should not be confused with ketoacidosis which is a condition diabetics can get in which is dangerous.
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mamalade1
    Options
    bump
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Asavitzk
    Options
    Interesting read - thanks for posting.
  • sandimack
    sandimack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bumpbity bump
  • Dahavol
    Options
    I thought you had something good going until you said ketosis means muscle consumption. Ketosis is a state where your body is burning it's own fat.

Ketosis should not be confused with ketoacidosis which is a condition diabetics can get in which is dangerous.

Yeah I saw that too. Not exactly right, but on the whole the article does a much better job of being less alarmist about its conclusions than most that advocate against large deficits and ketoisis.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Uh oh,might have to up my calories!
  • lillystargazer
    Options
    Must read this more thoroughly later!