Who wants to eat fish when it tastes so fishy?

Options
I am trying to add fish to my diet, but.. I HATE FISH! The fishy taste is just terrible. I have tried Tilapia, Salmon, Trout, Cod and Tuna steak and i just do not like it. Is there any fish out there that is still good for me and still has a decent taste?

Replies

• vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    halibut to me is one of the least "fishy" tasting. Very mild and actually very good.
  • jhehle
    jhehle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I hate "fishy taste" too but i make tilapia all the time and love it. I bake it in the oven with olive oil and add Mrs. Dash House Blend to it for a great taste. It is delicious! Try it! I couldnt stomach it without the Mrs. Dash. AND goes perfect with broccoli!
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    ^^ this too. Was gonna ask how you are preparing it. Tilapia is about the only other fish I eat. I slap it on my george foreman grill, generously sprinkle with garlic powder and mrs. dash. It's actually pretty good.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If your fish tastes fishy, its not fresh :huh:

Tilapia is my favorite. I make sure I buy wild caught filets the day I am going to eat it. Just bake it in the oven, then top it with cilantro and lime after cooking and enjoy!!!
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    Swai!!! It is my favorite!! It is very very mild! I hate the strong fishy flavor too! This fish is excellent! Must try it. And it is cheap! You can cook it in a skillet with cooking spray, bake it, I have put it in soup, just recently my husband grilled it (wow, delicious!). Hope you try it and like it!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Well Tilapia and Cod are to of the mildest fish out there... You might try Pollock or Haddock both are used in Gorton or Van De Kamps products at the Grocery..... I bake my fish and add Salsa to it and Love it and I am not a big fan of the fishy taste either but I eat all the ones I listed above and for me they don't seem to have that problem... Good Luck
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately taste is a very subjective thing, everyone has foods that they don't like (I've always thought caviar is gross & disgusting but I love seafood and fish). If you're eating fresh fish is shouldn't smell or taste overly "fishy", that's usually a sign that while still edible it may be past its prime. You may also want to try some of the milder species such as haddock or flounder.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I don't like the fishy taste either so I will only eat white fish, which I find to be very mild. Regardless of how I try it, I can't eat salmon. And with white fish (tilapia, cod, monk fish, haddock), it is very mild the fresher it is and is seasoned well. I like cajun or blackening seasoning or anything else that is a strong flavour.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I am trying to add fish to my diet, but.. I HATE FISH! The fishy taste is just terrible. I have tried Tilapia, Salmon, Trout, Cod and Tuna steak and i just do not like it. Is there any fish out there that is still good for me and still has a decent taste?
    Don't eat it if you hate it. You're just torturing yourself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting your fish? Living in Florida I can get fresh fish year round. I know not everyone is as fortunate. I know when i lived in Kansas for 4 years when i did pick up fish or any seafood for that matter is was very expensive..was a shock to me actually when i saw the prices..being born and raised in Florida i'm a lil spoiled in that area. the fresher the fish the milder the flavor and smell. a good rule of thumb. if your fish smells like anything other than the ocean..don't eat it.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    fresh fish should never taste fishy or have an odor. If it does - it is not fresh. Cod, salmon, halibut, tilapia are all great fish - very easy to make.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it if you hate it. You're just torturing yourself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This.

You don't HAVE to eat fish.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I like to squeeze fresh lemon juice on fish. Makes it taste less FISHY. But...these folks are spot on when they say that fishy tasting fish is not fresh. I generally buy frozen fish rather than raw unfrozen fish from the seafood counter. Have had better luck that way. Good mild ones are flounder, tilapia and swai.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I try fish every so often. The only stuff I can manage to eat is solid white tuna in a can, everything else tastes (and smells) horrible. I live in New England, people think I'm insane because I won't eat seafood in one of the 'freshest' places on earth. To each their own.
  • tarynnmichelle
    tarynnmichelle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas right on the Gulf Coast and near many rivers. I have a lot of options, but maybe i need to find a new way to prepare it. I'm big on steaming, but my steamed fish falls apart and doesnt cook well. Maybe baking with seasoning will help.
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you like lemon, try this.... (from 400 Calorie Fix cookbook)

4 tilapia fillets
    1 T olive oil
    2 T lemon juice
    2 t grated lemon peel
    1 t dried oregano
    1/4 t salt
    1/8 t pepper

Put all in dish, turn to coat tilapia and let it sit 10 minutes then bake until done. My kids LOVE this and it doesn't taste fishy at all!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I hated most fish for the first 25 years of my life. I would only eat smoked fish or plaice until i was pregnant with number 3 and then I started craving it...breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eat it all the time now but I think pregnancy is a drastic way to try to get to like something.

If you don't like it don't eat it...wild horses couldnt get me to put brussels sprouts or broad beans near my mouth ever again
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    If your fish tastes fishy, its not fresh :huh:

^^^ This.

I personally like Salmon and Tuna myself. But I don't eat it much since I'm so far inland and we hardly ever get fresh fish (well from the ocean anyway... and I can't stand freshwater fish)... it's mostly frozen and then thawed fish... :-/
  • nopswd
    nopswd Posts: 12
    Options
    Halibut is the best but it's really expensive and sometimes hard to find. If you are getting fishy tasting fish then it's probably not that fresh. I feel your pain. I like fish but I live in Maine so I'm a bit of a seafood snob so if it's at all suspicious then I stay away from it. You don't need fish anyway and eating food that you don't like is discouraging. Good luck
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love how everyone's tickers in this thread show very significant weight loss... just proves to me even more that I should eat my fish :)