Who wants to eat fish when it tastes so fishy?

Options

Replies

• DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love "fishy" fish! This week, I've had salmon twice, shrimp, catfish, red snapper and mahi-mahi.

Others have noted some of the primary mild fish: cod, halibut, tilapia, swai...
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I never liked fish. It has been an acquired taste for me and I actually quite enjoy it now. Fish is just amazing for protein, omega 3s, and mercury!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    mahi mahi...

but my favorite is fish tacos!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It likes it RAW and WRII-GGGLING!!!

You keep your nasty chips.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try fresh fish. It isn't supposed to taste like that.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Having beem given cod liver oil as a kid, I came to hate the fishy taste. I have come to like fresh fish, the fresher the better, even sushi. But I can still gag on the odd piece of slightly older fish.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If your fish tastes fishy, its not fresh :huh:

Tilapia is my favorite. I make sure I buy wild caught filets the day I am going to eat it. Just bake it in the oven, then top it with cilantro and lime after cooking and enjoy!!!

Totally true, the fresher the fish, the less fishy it smells.

Definitely get wild Tilapia, farmed Tilapia is fed corn- GROSS!

I often cook my fish from frozen, as long as you get a good brand it will be fresh (this is how I got my husband to eat fish). I bake it (totally frozen) in little foil packets with some butter (or margerine), garlic and some very thinly sliced lemon. I've also made it with olive oil and montreal steak spice and my 20 year old brother totally loved it!

You can also mix poached fish with a potato-cawliflower-pea mixture, top with some panko and there you have a fish pie!
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I HATE fish in just about every instance. But the one I have found that I actually like and doesn't seem too fishy is Orange Roughy. You can buy the frozen fillets at Kroger or wherever.... thaw the fillets and marinate in Zesty Italian Dressing. I usually marinate over night and through the next day and then just throw it on the George Foreman!
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I really only like fish when it's been grilled on the good old BBQ.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You are probably overcooking your fish. Most fish doesn't taste "fishy" if cooked properly. Steak type fish, such as tuna, salmon or swordfish, is best served medium rare or rarer. Flakier, thinner, fish should be cooked only until it starts to flake. It should still be moist and firm.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I eat flounder which is not as mild as other fish. But, I drench it in seasoning - onion powder, garlic, Mrs. Dash, and I use butter flavored cooking spray and juice of half a lemon while it cooks. Then I put the other half of the lemon juice on after. I also sprinkle paprika and parsley on it after it's cooked to make it look pretty and yummy.

A bland white piece of fish is not very appetizing. But a well seasoned and decorated one is very enjoyable to me.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My hubby is allergic to fish and I don't eat it. It truly isn't necessary for a healthy diet, but because of the benefits of fish oil I do take fish oil supplements every day. I once gave some salmon oil to my dogs, they went up to my hubby and breathed on him and his lips started tingling!
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm a Texas girl too! I agree that you don't "have" to eat fish.....I don't care for it much either....unless you're talking about fried catfish....lol.I have eaten blackened catfish fillets before and they were actually pretty good!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I marinate the salmon. I found this recipe online, and it is REALLY good. If you don't think you'd like salmon, I'm sure it would work with other fish, though tilapia and cod would probably need to be marinating for less time than salmon.

Teriyaki Salmon Filet

Salmon Teriyaki
    Preparation Time: 2-3 hours
Microwave Time: 3 to 8 minutes
    2 fresh salmon filets (skin on one side)
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
2 teaspoons ginger
2 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons lemon juice
    Combine the teriyaki sauce, ginger, minced garlic, lemon juice and black pepper in a shallow dish, or a plastic zip lock bag. Add the two salmon filets to this mixture, and marinate the fish for several hours in the refridgerator.
    After several hours, remove the salmon filets from the refridgerator and place it on a microwave-safe platter (greased with non-stick cooking spray), with the skin facing up.
    Microwave the salmon filets on medium-high heat for 3 to 8 minutes, depending on the size of the filet (3 to 6 ounce pieces for about 3 to 4 minutes vs. 5 to 15 oz pieces for 6 to 8 minutes). The filets will be done when the skin is slightly crisp/firm, and the meat is moist, and flakes apart.
  • meldaniel
    Options
    I find that raw fish (sushi) is actually not "fishy" at all...but cooked fish is. I think it is a combination of the quality being much higher for sushi grade seafood...plus the cooking process seems to bring out that fishy flavor and smell, especially for tuna and yellowtail. Start with very "American" sushi like california rolls and work your way into the sashimi once you figure out if/what you like. For cooked fish I only like silver salmon (I never knew the difference until we lived in Alaska, but pink and red salmon is fishy...silver is usually not), and halibut. Sea Bass is good too but crazy expensive!
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    If your fish tastes fishy, its not fresh :huh:

^ This, I would make sure it was freshly washed as well.
  • challengeaccepted
    Options
    Have you tried cooking it adding different flavors?

I cook 2 tilapia fillets with 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter, and mix 1 tablespoon of mayo and 1 teaspoon of mustard and a pinch of cayenne pepper. And then mix it in with the tilapia and put it on top of a bed of spinach.

It doesn't have a fishy taste to me, but then again, I like fish.
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bass, crappie, bluegill. Of course I do not know if you can buy these but we fish a lot in the summer and they are all very fresh tasting, and have minimal "fish taste". I do not like the fishy taste either!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Freshness is the key. The taste completely changes once you freeze a fish. I'm spoiled cause I live on the pacific coast. Fresh Halibut is, in my opinion one of the least "fishy" tasting fish. Unfortunately I love it battered and deep fried....so I haven't had any for a long time. ;(
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    fresh fish shouldn't taste fishy. If it tastes fishy, well, then... it's fishy (if you know what I mean. Be suspicious)
    try shrimp, lobster, cod, tuna...
    I adore shrimp!