Dieting and alcohol!?

Options
I'm one of those people who enjoys a drink (I'm a student), and there has been many a time when I've been worse for wear because of drinking on an empty stomach. How can I drink AND not go over my calories? I'd drink low-calorie drinks such as gin, but even one of those is around 100cals. I don't even want to THINK about a beer.

How can I get round this?

Replies

• angelapolite
    Options
    Unfortunately, there isn't a way around this. All you can do is continue to log your drinking, eat right and exercise. I'm not sure how much you drink, but I drink daily, not binge drinking by any means and I am losing weight. You have to allow yourself so many alcohol calories, just like you have to watch your food calories.
    I've been guily of drinking on an empty stomach too, but I do eventually eat, because you'll just start eating loads of bad foods later if you don't eat.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I like a brandy and coke as a nightcap and I've still lost weight even when i got cravings bad and eaten chocolate, can you do a workout on the day you are going out in the evening drinking and burn an extra 1,000 cals off? . so you can go out and have a good night and not worry about it unless you have more than ten 100cal gins.. lol!
  • ella_dubai
    Options
    Hehe, thanks guys...yep definitely doesn't seem a way round this one! I'll just have to be really careful :)
  • jacobschwarz
    jacobschwarz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    1 oz Seagrams 7
    Any flavor of Coke zero or (a favorite) diet Coke with lime.

70 calories!

If a bar uses a SHOT, it is 1.5 oz.. 105 calories.
  • keystoneman
    Options
    don't even want to THINK about a beer.

Check out a Bud 55 - you can drink two and have the same amount of calories as that small gin you had.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Im a beer snob... Bud 55 ain't gonna cut it... Heineken is only 150 a bottle... nurse it. ;)
  • ella_dubai
    Options
    Wish there was a 'like' button on MFP!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I drink shots :)
  • erichlf
    erichlf Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I drink daily and drink big beers, 9% ABV. I lost 40lbs. I am a vegetarian, so cutting out bread and french fries made it easy. Most vegetarian foods are low in calories anyway.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have cut right back on my alcohol intake since joining here. I do still drink, in fact, I am drinking wine right now, but one or two glasses, never more than that any more. Not that I need more than that these days!
  • ashncox55
    ashncox55 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I miss my Crown and Coke on the weekends!!!
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I started having non alcoholic beer and shandy's. There is about 50% less calories compared to alcoholic versions.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Fun calories don't count.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Plan for it like food and log it. I plan for beer since that's my beverage of choice (and no, I can't drink Bud, I'd rather drink plain water). But I take the time to enjoy it since I have a 1 drink per night rule. That keeps my calories in check, and I'm not likely to eat anything that I didn't plan for.
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    light beer is around 110 calories (bud light) but just do any liqour with a zero calories mixer. such as diet coke, club soda, diet sprite, etc. and workout a little extra if you know you will be drinking that night. cheers :)
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I miss my Crown and Coke on the weekends!!!

Can you try crown and Coke Zero?
  • Breezewood
    Options
    Gonna be me and my Coors Light and karaoke in my basement tonight!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Fun calories don't count.

Lol!! :drinker:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    There is no magical way around this issue. This is a deeper issue that requires moderation to be practiced. I used to not be able to have only one beer but somehow after just chalking it up to being too many calories to be worth it I've cut back to one per day. It's been very nice on the budget and being drunk never was appealing anyways. One drink, of anything, should never destroy your day. Think of it as a treat. And they aren't much more calories then a snack anyways. Hope this helps!