have any of you took the depo shot???? HELP!!

Options
So about 4 weeks ago my doctor gave me the depo shot.... i then went to see an obgyn ( i should have went there first) who told me i am basically doomed and will deffinately gain weight. This shot lasts for three months. I have already gained like 8 pounds. However i just had surgery and had a stint put in my kidney for kidney stones and my weight gain happened the day of surgery and over night. I am just wondering if any women out there have taken the shot and not gained... I have been hearing horrorible things about this shot.

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Yes I did... and I did gain weight... I tend to on progesterone only birth control (as I also did so on a progesterone only pill)....

I will give you the advise my doctor gave me, that I didn't take... be very mindful of your food intake, because you are going to want to snack more than before... so make sure you have low calorie options available at all times.

ETA: I gained most of mine in the course of 6 months (by the end of 3 I could no longer fit into my clothes)... and I too have been struggling to lose it (of course I put some more on after getting married, having a baby and being on another progesterone only pill while breastfeeding (which is why I know I gain on any progesterone only).
  • honda2884
    Options
    I took the depo shot over 5 years ago and for a 3 year spand of time. I gained 40 pounds with in 2 months. Wise advice keep taking the pill. I know not having a period is nice but, I am still to this day fighting to get the weight off that I put on.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I was on it a few years ago for about 2 years. I did gain weight but it was over time, it wasn't over night. That's why I actually didn't notice it right away!
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I was on it when I was 15 years old to stop my periods because they about killed me (super early onset endometriosis). I gained 50lbs in ONE month. :\ I think I gained a total of 80 throughout the year I was on it.
  • katsten
    katsten Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ive been on it twice. Once when I was 16, gained about 10 lbs for the year I was on it....was a lot more active then tho. Walked at least 2 miles per day, sometimes up to 12 miles. I went on it again right after my boys were born. I gained 20 lbs in 2 months and decided that it wasn't worth it. I've been on Mirena for 3 years now and haven't seen adverse side effects from it.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options
    My 16 year old cousin was on it and noticed weight gain almost right away. I think what we can say for sure is, yes you'll gain weight. At what rate all depends on each person.
  • mebemini2012
    Options
    I've been on it for a long time not sure how long, but it's a mindset thing. I didn't gain anything. I have continued to lose weight and will. I believe its the choices you make and what kinds of foods you eat.
    Also, with all medication it reacts diffrently so maybe I'm just an the exception.
  • dimplez711
    Options
    I've been on it for over 2 years now and have been in super denial about the weight gain factor.

I went from size 16-18 to 22-24, in clothes from the same stores. I blamed it on everything from diabetes, to being in a good/healthy relationship, to sheer laziness. It started to dawn on me after I realized that even though I'm on 3 diabetes meds that normally decrease appetite, I still have the munchies constantly. I'm not a doctor and I can't say for certain that depo is the main factor, just based on personal experience and what I've read/been told.

Next week I'm going to ask to go back on the pill. Not having to deal with that TOM was awesome, but I don't appreciate the extra spare tire I'm carrying around in exchange. We'll see if this makes any difference in my weight loss efforts.
  • lorena1120
    Options
    I was on it at the age of 15 and was slimmed at the time but blew up. I started gaining weight immediately and had no menstrual cycle for a an entire year which I liked but it was so not worth it me gaining all that weight ever since i have not been able to get back to the weight i was back then I'm just glad i was on the shot for 9 months and not longer.
  • CrazyHedgehog
    CrazyHedgehog Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was on it for about 3 years, but starting 19 years ago, I remember the doctor commenting on the fact that I was his ONLY patient who had not gained weight with it, I am on the depo bar now, its the same drug, but in a slow release bar for 3 years at a time, it gives a smaller dose on a daily basis, instead of flooding the body once every 3 months.
    I have been on this for about 16 years! and yes, I am fat now, but really think it is and always was down to my eating and lifestyle!
  • emilybeatrice1
    emilybeatrice1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the insight! I will continue to fight the food munchies and be very mindful of my eating. I'm just going to get my tubes tied! lol! then i wont have to worry about any hormones from a shot, or pill or any other form.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    ugh I gained 15 pounds in 3 months when I took it 8 years ago. Stopped after the second shot but never lost the weight and started to gain more. That was the first time in my life I gained weight like that :( Would never recommend it to anyone who cares about their weight!
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I've been on it for a long time not sure how long, but it's a mindset thing. I didn't gain anything. I have continued to lose weight and will. I believe its the choices you make and what kinds of foods you eat.
    Also, with all medication it reacts diffrently so maybe I'm just an the exception.

Not the exception. I also lost weight while on it and I was on it for 7 years.
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    As with ANY birth control- it CAN make you gain weight. I work in a OBGYN office and I can say that we have alot of patients on the DEPO that do very well. No weight gain, no problems. If you continue to eat right and excersise I don't forsee you gaining that much. However, if you do notice alot of weight gain, then talk to your GYN doctor and they can switch your form of birth control.
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Wow I am so happy I stumbled across this topic! I have an OBYN appt on Monday and I was going to ask about other birth control options. I am currently on Avion and have been for YEARS and was wondering if the pill is preventing me from losing weight like i should be given my exercise habits etc.

I definitely won't be looking into the shot anymore after reading this! yikes!
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    ive been on depo for about 3 months now and ive still lost weight. (i started my ticker over for 2012)
  • heatherhart
    heatherhart Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for a yr and gained over 25lbs. Depo was the worse I would never take it again or recommend it to anyone, hopefully you can get off of it soon
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I 1000% suggest Neuvaring. No weight gain or side effects since it's low dose hormone. I've been on it for 10 years and it's the suggested solution for women in their 30s - 40s.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I gained 20 pounds and had chronic pain with urination for 18 months and spotting every day for 9 months.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options
    As with ANY birth control- it CAN make you gain weight. I work in a OBGYN office and I can say that we have alot of patients on the DEPO that do very well. No weight gain, no problems. If you continue to eat right and excersise I don't forsee you gaining that much. However, if you do notice alot of weight gain, then talk to your GYN doctor and they can switch your form of birth control.

^THIS. I've known people who have gained weight on everything to the pill to the patch. It's all about finding what works for you in ALL areas.