have any of you took the depo shot???? HELP!!

Options

Replies

• capturingsmiles
    Options
    I also took depo for endometreosis, I was on it several years. I was a bit odd, I did not gain weight until the very last year on it, then I went off. It did come off after I stopped getting the injections.
  • pitbullmom87
    Options
    i was on it also. back when i turned 18 and i needed to get off of it because i gained a lot of weight. 2 years ago they put me back on it after i miscarried because it was the only method of birth control that was supposably compatible with my body, then i gained even more weight. i decided to take myself off it last august and i havent taken anything since, its going to take awhile to get my body back normal (as i still havent had a period).. i would go to something else if i were you... thats just my opinion
  • JDKD82199
    JDKD82199 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was on it for several years and did NOT gain weight. I loved the depo and no periods. I have the mirena now, no periods, and lasts 5 years, and I love it.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Keep active and watch your intake, that is all you can do - years ago after I had my son I walked away fitting in my jeans (size 3) after I had the depo shot I gained 10 in 2 weeks... didn't do that agin ;)
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Had 3 shots of it (9 months) and gained 30lbs... yeah I don't recommend it.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I had the depo shot once about 12 years ago. I don't recall weight issues, but I do recall it turning me into the devil for the entire 3 months. I would NEVER recommend it to ANYONE.

Regarding your kidney stones, I have passed four kidney stones over the past 8 years. After passing the 3rd one, I had 7 stones left. One in my right and 6 in my left. Since passing the one on my right, I have only two left in my left kidney, one tiny, and one 3 mm that I will need to pass one day. What I did to eliminate creating the stones was to completely change my diet forever. I do not eat above 15% protein or 1500 mg. sodium. I ended up changing to eating vegan to accomplish this because it is difficult otherwise. I encourage you to change your diet to prevent further stones, if that is what your urine analysis shows would help. Good luck!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    check out natural family planning. That way you need not screw up your body. There have been major scientific advances that make tracking your cycle so much easier by making you aware of your natural signs. Check out http://www.ecosex.ca/eco-contraception.html

Also check out the Billings Method: http://www.thebillingsovulationmethod.org/

I am convinced that pharmaceutical BC is causing the beast cancer epidemic. Why take it when you can do without?
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    you know i wonder if all of the hpye about gaining on bcp is all in our heads. maybe it has more to do with people starting it in their teens and still eating the same in their 20's when their metabolism has slowed down. i have been on birth control for 10 years now and i honestly think my weight gain had more to do with me not paying attention to what was eating and not exercising enough. as fas as you gaining weight right after surgery that could have been water weight due to swelling from incisions or placement or if they had you on iv fluids they pump you so full it insane. i had out pt surgery once and i swear the day of surgery after i left all i did was pee and it was like ever 30 min. i also had had 2 friends that did deop one didn't gain weight because of it and actually lost weight because of it. i think its all hype and mind over matter. if you are dead set that you will gain weight because of a shot then it's probably going to happen. just my two cents :smile:
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    My daughter takes the shot, and has in the past and didn't have any problems with weight gain. She's always been a healthy eater and has never had a problem with weight. I think you will be fine. You know health professionals have to tell you all of the side effects of the procedures or protocol they are giving to you, so just keep going..you'll be fine!
  • JayPeazy
    JayPeazy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    So about 4 weeks ago my doctor gave me the depo shot.... i then went to see an obgyn ( i should have went there first) who told me i am basically doomed and will deffinately gain weight. This shot lasts for three months. I have already gained like 8 pounds. However i just had surgery and had a stint put in my kidney for kidney stones and my weight gain happened the day of surgery and over night. I am just wondering if any women out there have taken the shot and not gained... I have been hearing horrorible things about this shot.

Don't get this shot ever again. lol

[rant]ANY time you go to the doctor and they want to stick a needle into your body in order to chemically alter your body's natural balance...bad things happen. Also, food for thought, businesses need repeat customers to survive, big pharma is no exception. If big pharma was out to heal everybody, they would go out of business. They fill us full of drugs for needless reasons and when those drugs give us health problems, we run back to the people that messed us up in the first place for answers. Makes...no...sense...[/rant]
  • Tranquil_Miche
    Options
    My experience with the Depo shot made me realize that it wasn't for me. I gained 80 pounds the year I was on it. They kept telling me to give it more time otherwise I would not even had stayed on it that long. I don't believe it was the shot completely that made me gain the weight, but it contributed in the aspect by hormonal imbalance. I was a wreck on it. When the injection was first given I was very emotional. After the emotional aspect wore off the appetite did not. I was always hungry, and a salad was not going to satisfy that hunger.
  • Katie3784
    Options
    I have been on the shot since November and have not gained any weight. I also had it as a teenager, and I was the thinnest I have ever been during that time. My best friend gets it as well and has not gained weight. I have heard that it can increase appetite and that is why many women gain weight on it.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have never been as thin as I was when I was having this between 16-18

I now have a mirena coil where people have all sorts of scary stories about that too. But I'm fine, I had it and have never had kids which is sometimes more problematic.

We are all different. Be sensible and if it's not working switch.
  • kihomara
    Options
    I was on it a few years ago for about 2 years. I did gain weight but it was over time, it wasn't over night. That's why I actually didn't notice it right away!

I was in the same boat, i was only on if for a short time, (4 shots) but slowly noticed i gained. I was actually a toothpick before so wanted to gain the weight but now i regret it in a way.. But since you have a heads up...Just be aware of it & you should be good....Good Luck
  • ThenewMrsGill
    ThenewMrsGill Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I went on the dep from he age of 18 til 21 had no periods and no weight gain. I went back on it at age 26 after having a baby and again no periods and no weight gain (infact im now on this ive lost weight) its not for everyone but i love it x
  • GoCanada
    GoCanada Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was on the depo shot for about 2 years after my son was born. I didn't gain weight or have any other problems besides spotting (which is why I eventually stopped taking it). I've had an IUD now for the last 5 years (one hormonal, one non) and they have worked just lovely!
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I was taking the supplements, but it did not help. That is why the prescription has a warning on it. Many people don't know that their bones have lost their densitiy. Have you had a bone densitiy test done? Unfortunately, just because you take a supplement does not mean you don't have loss of bone density.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Just watch what you eat for the 3 months and then get the non hormonal coil, you won't put on weight with that. I'd advise anyone against the depo, I was on it for 3 years and have a list as long as my arm why nobody should have it.
    xx
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I gained weight too, I also bled constantly, three months straight.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I love my depo, mainly because i get terrible endo pain without it and was spending 3 days a month in throwing up levels of agony. having no periods is amazing!

I did gain, around 10lbs!