Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Something I wish I'd known re: Polar FT7

124»

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    For those of you in good enough shape to not be self-conscious about broadcasting your stats , bravo (or brava, as appropriate). I AM embarrassed by my total lack of fitness. Thus my reluctance to have all and sundry view my HR. Honestly, had I known about this 'feature', I might have decided on a different device, but it is too late now. I simply wanted to make others aware of something I was ignorant about so that they could make a more informed decision than I did.

As for the device being useless, anything that makes me feel like more of a tool in the gym than I already do isn't helping me, it's hindering me. The good thing is that I bought the men's version, so my hubby is now the proud owner of a slightly used FT7. ;)

ETA: I did do a considerable amount of reading before purchasing the FT7. I'm not one for impulse purchases, but none of my research mentioned how this feature would relate to the equipment brands found at some gyms, nor did the gym equipment at my gym display any mention of compatibility. I posted this so if/when others search the forums for info on this model they WILL be aware of what I had missed.

I don't see how someone can be embarrassed by their heart rate. Maybe some professional counselling is necessary as this seems to be part of a deeper issue.

It is nothing to do with being embarrassed, it is to do with it interferring with other people's machines! What if they are trying to record their OWN heartrate and suddenly it is interrupted to show the person NEXT to you with their FT7 on??

Personally, I wouldn't be none too pleased to be honest if I were the one on the treadmill next door trying to see my own heartbeat!
  • Di3012
    Good info.

Ever think that some people might actually find it inspiring that you are getting out there and giving it your best? I certainly went through a stage where I was like don't look at me, don't judge me but you get over it over time as everyone is there for the same goal. Don't let your fear of other people's possible opinions stop you.

This is nothing to do with other people's opinions, it is to do with the OP wanting his own HRM to not interfere with other people.
  • Di3012
    I am also incredibly unfit and don't understand why this would matter to you... for one reason you know you can see the heart rate on the machine next to you right? Like when I run with hubby we are both checking out each others stats the entire time.... so if anyone cares they can already see it. Now most likely unless you came in the gym with that person they don't care at all.

and what about the person on the treadmill next door to the OP that has no wish to see another person's heartrate, they just want to see their own?
  • They swap machines if they came second or use the handgrips to override if it is a concern. The chances are that some will have a hrm and some won't. The op has found a potential solution to this by going early and being on the left so I think she is trying on other people's behalf but is still concerned regarding potential embarrassment. You can't give up on the chance it will affect someone or be embarrassing.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    I purchased a Polar HRM last week and finally got it set up and went to the gym, all ready to see how the numbers compared to what I have been using (the equipment numbers where I put in my weight and age). Well, got on the treadmill only to see my heart rate pop up on the display of the treadmill I was on AND the one next to me. The guy on that treadmill was like "WTH?!" I basically got off, removed the HRM sensor/chest strap and did my workout. Total zero for being able to get an accurate read on calories expended.

Apparently the HRM signal is picked up automatically by certain equipment when you are within 3 feet of it. Since the treadmills, ellipticals, EVERYTHING at the gyms I go to are set really close together, the signal will always be showing up on neighboring devices. Makes this thing totally useless in the gym, for me. I know for some people this would be a boon, but not for me.

So be aware that, if you purchase a Polar FT7 (or, apparently, most Polar HRMs with chest strap) that it is entirely possible gym equipment will pick up the signal automatically. I don't know for certain that it would do this if I had started the HRM prior to entering the gym, but I think that was the way I had done it. It is convenient in one way, and annoying as h*ll in another. I want to be able to disable it somehow, but I searched and searched and can't find a solution other than to just not wear it.

Take two: late at night, the gym is really quiet so I WAS able to finally get in with the HRM on and see how things compared. I did 5 minute tests with and without to see where I was. Turned out the walking was pretty much spot-on. I tried 3mph since that was my most frequent pace. The Precor elliptical was spot-on as well, but the Lifestyle (I think that is the name) elliptical was off by about 10% (elliptical readout showed 10% higher than HRM).

This was one of the reasons that I chose the Polar FT4, because I like the treadmill and although I usually train at home, I didn't want any HRM I owned to do exactly as you h ave described, should I choose to go to the gym.

The FT4 has its own coded heart rat transmission preventing interference from other machines at the gym.

That is unfortunate regarding the FT7, what are you going to do?

I have the FT4 and it does get picked up by the machines at my gym.
  • Thanks for the info I'm going to have a look into buying the ft4.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I love how everyone completely ignored the fact that the OP stated that the machines give the same reading as the HRM, and just beat her over the head with how essential the HRM is, when it really isn't. It's a personal preference if you are working out on a machine, as even the 10% difference the OP mentioned on one machine is still well within the 10-20% margin of error in any HRM.

If it doesn't offer any advantage, there's no reason to force yourself to use it.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Oh Gracie I feel your pain....when I started i was so out of shape I could barely do one jumping jack! I didnt have the nerve to go to the gym...ugh.....so i work out at home, not that everyone can, after i lost some weight and felt better I got to the point I was able to ride bike outside and didnt care what.others though! I had to get into the mind set that at least im doing something! I too would not want someone knowing my info. I have a cheapo sportsline watch HRM, the ones people say are no good, but Ive lost 58 pounds using it...good luck on your journey! :)
  • tokimaromi
    tokimaromi Posts: 14
    sorry to dig up an old thread but i must not be understanding completely. if i wear my polar ft4 and my heart rate is displayed on someone else's machine, will that screw up their calorie count? i know the machines on the gym are off on counting calories (which is why i got a HRM) but i know that some people do count on the numbers that the machine spits out. i just want to be courteous and not mess up someone else's workout. i don't care if they see what my heart rate is, just as long as i'm not messing up anything for them.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    The machine is really no further off than an HRM. Both are just estimates, using variations of the same formula.
  • tokimaromi
    tokimaromi Posts: 14
    i still would like to know though if i'd be messing up the person's calorie count next to me