How obsessed are you with measuring food?

Options
I just counted every strand in a box of whole wheat sphagetti. By the way...it's 34 strands per ounce. There has got to be a better way! lol

Replies

• interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    LOL. thats about when I get the eye roll from the wife LOL
  • steach
    steach Posts: 10
    Options

Too funny. I guess people do think we are little crazy.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Eyes are better rolled, than belly fat.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I just counted every strand in a box of whole wheat sphagetti. By the way...it's 34 strands per ounce. There has got to be a better way! lol

There is. They're called food scales. :happy:
  • steach
    steach Posts: 10
    Options
    There is. They're called food scales. :happy:
    [/quote]

I have some, but they are not good enough to weigh dry pasta. Guess I need to invest in something better. I'll see what I can find.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    get theyself a food scale!!!!

Im obsessed with mine. And measuring cups. I have about 4 sets so I have clean ones at all times. It made a monumental change in my weight loss.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Any digital one should do the trick. I can put a plate of pasta on a food scale, zero it, and sprinkle parmasean cheese on the place and watch the grams increase as the heavenly white sprinkles hit the sauce.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I measure all my meals since to power the machine, you gotta know what is going in so when I cut, I now what to lower my food amounts by.
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It's just easier for me to use weight watcher meals that way I know everything is measured out!!! lol
  • muffin_shufflin
    muffin_shufflin Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I feel like i'm forever washing my measuring cups. I measure everything out. I even try to do it in my head if I go out to eat, my mom finds that annoying :tongue:
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I use my measuring cups way more now...

I use a tablespoon measurement for my morning coffee creamer.

Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup for my cereal...

I just bought a digital scale since I'm not overly happy with my spring loaded option. I'm getting more precise. Not obsessive. Now excuse me, there is a light switch that I haven't flipped 33 times to keep the world from exploding. ;-)
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I need to be a little more obsessive about it. My husband couldn't believe it when I showed him what a servings of rice, past and cereal looked like. I use a digital scale and measuring cups/spoons
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the EatSmart Precision Pro - Multifunction Digital Kitchen Scale on Amazon. It was recommended on here and has over 1k five-star recommendations! Can't wait to get it!

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1330266696&sr=1-1-fkmr1

I count how many cereal pieces I'm eating to eat half a serving but I'll try weighing that amount to see if it's accurate.

I also count how many almonds I eat to eat half a serving.

I measure tablespoons for many things though I often "wing it" with my coffee creamer (yes, I'm wild and crazy like that).
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    that's a bit extreme, I have my moments, but spaghetti? :noway:
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I initially bought a digital scale to weigh my dried fruit & nuts(double entendres accepted) but I find I have started to weigh my meat, pasta, cereal etc They are brilliant & only cost around £5 from ebay.

Russ
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Like some who have already posted, I measure obsessively. I have 4 sets of measuring cups (for dry measures such as cereal), 4 liquid measuring cups, 4 sets of measuring spoons. Yes, I use a tablespoon for my coffee creamer.

I also have a digital food scale. It wasn't that expensive and it's been great to have.

And, since I cook for my family as well as myself, I use the recipe builder on MFP a *lot*. I measure and weigh everything that goes into a recipe, then I measure the total recipe to find the volume of what it makes, so I can be accurate when I determine exactly how much a serving is.

If I didn't measure obsessively I'd cheat. I'd give myself a little extra here and a little extra there, and I know it would add up. So, for now, I'm very obsessive and regimented.
  • Machdude
    Machdude Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I measure everything, doing that is the reason I am losing weight. I never really realized how much I was eating. I do wing it on the coffee creamer in the morning though - livin' on the edge!
  • stevieb3052
    stevieb3052 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Any digital one should do the trick. I can put a plate of pasta on a food scale, zero it, and sprinkle parmasean cheese on the place and watch the grams increase as the heavenly white sprinkles hit the sauce.

I do this with grated parmesan and also when I pour milk over breakfast cereal, spooning stuff from jars and the spread I use on toast!
  • Guardien
    Guardien Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My wife and I feel that we are rather obsessed with weighing and mreasuring our food. The thing is that once we started doing it, we REALLY started seeing results! It's amazing how far off you can be when you estimate that deck of cards for your 3 oz of meat, or that baseball for a cup of rice. Precission is an amazing key to unlock the door to losing weight.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I weigh meats and pasta on my kitchen scale because they are more calorie dense, but I estimate things by the cup otherwise (if not using the package bar code). If not eating at home, I think it's important to be able to realistically estimate what you are eating so you can log accurately.