Too many friends?

Options

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I have about 20, of those I talk to a few daily, comment on / get comments from maybe 10, and the rest requested me and then never said another word to me!!
    I have always had a note on my profile saying random requests without a message will be deleted and they are.
    I would rather have a few friends who have simliar goal and we can actually help each other on our journey than 100's of friends that maybe say 'good job' on a status occasionally and thats it!

ETA - this topic has inspired be to go delete all the randoms that never talked to me, so now am down to 14 friends lol
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I usually accept requests, but if I find that they aren't supportive, logged on in a few weeks, or just don't seem to be serious about it I defriend them.

Yep, that's how I do it. :) I like to keep it under 30 though, or as close as possible.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I miss my old friends... They were more interactive at one point.. It's like I got all these new friends and they don't even speak to me... And I seriously interact with everyone as best I could. It's seriously time to delete people who doesn't interact... I don't only go based on who doesn't log in.. Because I got people on my list who log in faithfully and is all in the forums and posting on the newsfeed every five minutes but I'll say hi, support them etc and I never not one time would eem hear from them... I need to regroup I guess you can say :)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It is HUGE motivation to have friends on here. Most of the people in my life don't understand the journey and sometimes struggle that weight loss is. It is nice to have so many people going through the same struggle. Friends are great! Haha.

Same here. I do clean up my list. If someone hasn't logged in for months I delete them.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I rarely say no and only cut if people are inactive. I cut someone recently with 300+ friends who was using cut and paste support on all of our diaries .. that is way too tacky for me.
    I know who u are talking about!!!!!!!
  • Spurrowell
    Options
    I haven't had any friend requests, i must not be a good person.
  • lorabaybai
    Options
    It's the uniform.

haha DEFO this... x
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    It's the uniform.

haha DEFO this... x

??
  • garyolson43
    garyolson43 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I usually accept requests, but if I find that they aren't supportive, logged on in a few weeks, or just don't seem to be serious about it I defriend them.

Same here. I prefer a smaller circle of friends who are supportive.
  • lorabaybai
    Options
    It's the uniform.

haha DEFO this... x

??

:laugh: got to love a man in uniform :drinker:
  • myf1101
    Options

I am new on here but this is what I would do as well.
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Nobody takes it personal! Sometimes I can't answer all friends comments! Just do it when you can! That's all one can do right?

Personally, I don't see the point in having so many friends you can't support all of them. I feel that I am here to support them as much as I'm here for support. And I want to support them every day, not only when I have time. I remove friends who have trouble committing to logging in and keeping up with their diary or friends who show no interest in leaving comments to encourage or support me. I figure it's fine that they are at where they are at in their lives. Doesn't mean I have to slow down and wait for them. Occasionally, though I make exceptions.

I try to look at everyone's food diary and see where they might be struggling, ask them questions about if they have a problem with something like HBP, etc. some people can do better if they understand how the food they eat affects them. You don't have to be a nutritionist to help.

Having said that, I'm guessing 30 is my limit. And now I will go see how many I have ...
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on how many friends someone should have on this site? I have been here just a week and already have 73. I haven't denied anyone. How do you handle it?

Since most of your friends are women and at least half have Facebook style profile pics, I would say a lot of it is the uniform - no offense to you or your friends. Since you posted this under Introduce Yourself, you will probably get more requests. And your profile says feel free to follow me on twitter. Are you journaling your weight loss or fishing?
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I agree with Giraffe33991- it isn't a popularity contest or Facebook (but never really got that!). I have been logging on for 40 days but only recently been posting on the message boards so I don't have many friends :sad: I think I would prefer a small group of supportive, like minded people, which must be easier to manage!

I have been very impressed at how supportive to one another the people on MFP are, it is lovely to see :smile:
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It's the uniform.

:laugh:
  • darylinny
    Options

Same here! I also look for similiar stories, goals or locations. I would love to meet some of them in person!
  • mlrod1914
    Options
    I only have about 9 friends on MFP. But I like it that way. Its nothing personal towards anyone else. But the friends i have are in much like me. Same age range, gender and in the same life situation. So it feels very close knit. we keep tabs on each other. I like the small support group feel.
  • 189andFalling
    189andFalling Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I only have 1 *cries* :).
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works best for you. If you want a small group, then pick your faves. I often find that I end up deleting people when they haven't checked in for a few weeks (unless they explained why in advance) so other than a core group, you may have some that naturally rotate out.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have a smaller group of 30 and I like it that way. I've discovered that by having a smaller group I really get to know everyone, what they do for a living, what their goals are, what they're training for, etc....I even learned about one friend's dog yesterday. I like getting to know people on a more personal level because I feel the support is greater. That's what works for me so people should do what works best for them. If 100+ friends works for you then you should do that.