To eat breakfast or not... that is the question?!

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is a MUST, it's not a question at all. Eating breakfast gets your metabolism working and fuels you for the day, making you more likely to have the energy to work out. It's ideal to work out at night because then your metabolism works while you sleep through the night burning fat. Then when you eat a healthy breakfast the next morning, it makes your metabolism kick back in and it gives you the energy to go through your day and work out again.

I'm curious, did you read the replies in this thread or just the first post?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is a MUST, it's not a question at all. Eating breakfast gets your metabolism working and fuels you for the day, making you more likely to have the energy to work out. It's ideal to work out at night because then your metabolism works while you sleep through the night burning fat. Then when you eat a healthy breakfast the next morning, it makes your metabolism kick back in and it gives you the energy to go through your day and work out again.

Wrong. ^^^

Skip breakfast if you want to. It's a personal preference thing and has ZERO bearing on weight loss.
  • NewDad12
    NewDad12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I read some of the replies, yes. What does that matter? I'd rather trust studies and the Mayo clinic than a few self proclaimed nutrition geniuses. Sorry I answered, obviously this community has some big heads.
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal thing as well. Listen to your body and watch how it responds when you skip breakfast and when you don't. I do much better overall and feel like I jump start my metabolism if I eat breakfast, but I am someone who wakes up and is hungry!! I pretty much have to eat a little bit every few hours.
  • frazzle29
    frazzle29 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you! Sometimes I just have coffee as well for breakfast. Sometimes just yogurt and sometimes I go all out and hae bacon and eggs or whatever. You have to do whats best for you
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I read some of the replies, yes. What does that matter? I'd rather trust studies and the Mayo clinic than a few self proclaimed nutrition geniuses. Sorry I answered, obviously this community has some big heads.

Do you have any of the studies and would you mind sharing them? If I present you with multiple peer reviewed studies showing that breakfast has zero effect on metabolism, would you read them?

Also, I simply asked you a question and I don't think you need to resort to personal attacks.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'd rather trust studies

Can you show me those studies that prove a causation between eating breakfast and weight loss (not a correlation)?
  • catattack13
    Options
    I <3 breakfast! but I mostly just like eating at all times of the day. if you're hungry, eat some food. if you're not, don't eat some food. :)
  • xMsAlly
    xMsAlly Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast-y foods! But I don't always eat it due to time and straight-up not feeling it (I refuse to force myself to eat if I'm not hungry). But other times, I make sure to get a great breakfast if I know that I'm going to be doing something important that day (ie. taking a test or going to an interview).
  • NewDad12
    NewDad12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wait a second, you attacked my opinion first. I didn't attack yours. I simply stated my opinion based on studies and a nutritionist I talk to. I shouldn't have to to teach you how to use Google, look up the Mayo clinic, Livestrong, or call a nutritionist. I'm not saying eating breakfast is the direct leading factor to weight loss itself, but it gives you the energy to work out and the earlier you have your calories in the day, the sooner you start fueling your body and the less likely you will be vulnerable to bad choices when you do become hungry.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/25335-breakfast-helps-weight-loss/
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01119
  • chrischinchilla
    chrischinchilla Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The worst breakfast is NO BREAKFAST. You should try to eat a big breakfast full of protein--eggs, steak, bacon, peanut butter, milk, etc.--every morning, a medium-sized lunch where you get your nutrition--salad, fruit, some chicken--, and a small dinner--veggies, lean meats. The purpose of that big breakfast is the same as filling your gas tank before a long trip: to fuel up and get as far as you can in that first stretch! Since I've started eating like this, I'm far more active throughout the day--I have more energy, I get more done, and ultimately, I take in FEWER calories than I used! But however you do it, just remember: the absolute worst thing you can do to your body is to not eat breakfast (coffee does not count as "breakfast"). Even if it's just a piece of toast with peanut butter, EAT SOMETHING!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people can go without breakfast, haha. I wake up STARVING first thing in the morning, and always eat within a half hour of waking up, because my stomach gets loud with protesting. I don't have a very heavy breakfast, necessary, but I always have something.

That being said, breakfast isn't mandatory. Some people just aren't wired for breakfast first thing. My boyfriend isn't. He never eats breakfast, just has a larger lunch and dinner, and it works for him. As long as you're eating when you're hungry, it really doesn't matter what time you eat.
  • SPerko4980
    SPerko4980 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think breakfast is a very important part of the day -- it stops me from being so hungry about 9:30 or 10 in the morning. A friend of mine told me the other day of an old saying "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper". Interesting thought -- but like others have said, do what works best for your body because no diet is good for everyone. Good luck!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Wait a second, you attacked my opinion first. I didn't attack yours. I simply stated my opinion based on studies and a nutritionist I talk to. I shouldn't have to to teach you how to use Google, look up the Mayo clinic, Livestrong, or call a nutritionist. I'm not saying eating breakfast is the direct leading factor to weight loss itself, but it gives you the energy to work out and the earlier you have your calories in the day, the sooner you start fueling your body and the less likely you will be vulnerable to bad choices when you do become hungry.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/25335-breakfast-helps-weight-loss/
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01119

Interesting articles. Unfortunately they are collections of anecdotes and opinions, not studies.

Back to the original point, meal timing can help one to control hunger but has very little affect otherwise.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html
  • cainie19
    cainie19 Posts: 126
    Options
    Dont feel pressured by common diet advice just do what works for you :-)
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    ^^^ the above!

If I eat too soon after getting up I feel really sick, and tbh I just don't like breakfasty foods much.
    Boyf is starving the second he wakes up and cranky if he doesn't have breakfast.
    What works for one doesn't work for all!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The worst breakfast is NO BREAKFAST. You should try to eat a big breakfast full of protein--eggs, steak, bacon, peanut butter, milk, etc.--every morning, a medium-sized lunch where you get your nutrition--salad, fruit, some chicken--, and a small dinner--veggies, lean meats. The purpose of that big breakfast is the same as filling your gas tank before a long trip: to fuel up and get as far as you can in that first stretch! Since I've started eating like this, I'm far more active throughout the day--I have more energy, I get more done, and ultimately, I take in FEWER calories than I used! But however you do it, just remember: the absolute worst thing you can do to your body is to not eat breakfast (coffee does not count as "breakfast"). Even if it's just a piece of toast with peanut butter, EAT SOMETHING!

Way to make things up
    "Whether fat oxidation is greater during waking or sleeping hours doesn't matter. What matters is 24-hour fat balance, which is fat synthesis minus fat oxidation. See, those are the 2 sides to the equation. If you eat less during the day & more at night, fat oxidation will occur at a greater rate during the day. If you do the opposite, fat oxidation will occur at a greater rate through the night - & you end up at the same spot. After 24 hours, the body doesn't know nor give a flying fuk which half of the day contributed to either a net loss, gain, or maintenance of fat balance. Unless you have a specific need for increased energy intake (ie, prolonged competition in a particular sport ocurring in the earlier part of the day), there's no reason to assume that eating more during the day & less in the evening is INHERENTLY beneficial for body composition goals. That type of thinking will at the very minimum get you a Broscar nomination."

-Alan Aragon
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Just pointing out, doctors can be wrong too. I mean hey not very long ago they thought the answer to solving your ailments was draining out some of your blood. And even when the advice is correct, if it's not working for you, then why do it?

Personally I've never really eaten breakfast, rarely was I ever up in time for even a granola bar during school days and I made it through 'til lunch just fine. The only reason I try and get something in my stomach each morning is because the medication I take requires food otherwise it turns my stomach. I don't eat very big, either a granola bar or a piece of fruit or one of those carnation breakfast drinks, and I don't notice a difference in my energy nor my hunger level. For anyone curious I've had the habit for a couple years now.

Like someone else said, eat when you're hungry. If you're not hungry in the morning, then hey. Heck carry one of those 100 calorie packs with you in case you want something to nibble on later. It's all about what works for you and what keeps you and your tummy happy.
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    I hardly ever eat breakfast. I am just not hungry in the mornings so I don't. If I happen to be hungry one morning then I do.
    I do not think that it has hindered my weight loss at all. Listen to your body. :flowerforyou:
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I need thew protein in the am. I don't want my body using my muscle for fuel.