To eat breakfast or not... that is the question?!

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is a MUST, it's not a question at all. Eating breakfast gets your metabolism working and fuels you for the day, making you more likely to have the energy to work out. It's ideal to work out at night because then your metabolism works while you sleep through the night burning fat. Then when you eat a healthy breakfast the next morning, it makes your metabolism kick back in and it gives you the energy to go through your day and work out again.

Skipping breakfast and not eating multiple small meals a day is part of the reason women have a hard time losing weight.
    A non pictured, low count person. Why am I not surprised.

Good look with reaching your broscience goals for 2012.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast so I try to eat at a "proper" breakfast time (but sometimes I dont really have breakfast until 1 or 2pm). it depends on you, if you want to eat in the morning then do so, if not don't sweat it.
  • azyaria
    azyaria Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have always been a breakfast eater. I do believe that eating breakfast is a good idea.

With that being said, what I have always had a hard time buying into is the idea that breakfast needs to be a huge production. Nutritionists, doctors, and various things I have read online always suggest that you have some protein, oatmeal, side of fruit, water, etc. to have a complete breakfast. I find this to be very ambitious – I am rarely hungry enough to eat all of this first thing in the morning, nor do I have the time to prepare and eat all of this before work!

As an adult, I do eat this "ideal" breakfast but in installments. When I wake up, i'm generally not hungry for a couple of hours. I force myself to eat a banana within an hour of waking up (regardless of whether i'm hungry or not), just to have something in my stomach to help "break the fast". Then as the morning goes on and my hunger increases, i'll have a hard-boiled egg, and then my 1/2 cup of oatmeal with berries. A couple of hours after this, I will eat my lunch.

I find that this is helpful because i am not starving by lunch time, and can handle something as simple and healthy as a salad with grilled chicken. If I miss my breakfast ritual, I usually need to eat something "heartier" for lunch, which ultimately is more calories and/or fatty.

So, I don't think you need to force yourself to eat breakfast if you're not a fan, but perhaps spread it out over the morning so you still get the same benefits and manage your hunger at the same time.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Okay, I know all experts say yes, eat breakfast, and to be honest I have never been one to eat breakfast. The only thing in the morning that I used to consume was just a coffee with cream and sugar, if that. But now that I'm on mfp (for about 3 weeks now) I'm trying to be good and eat breakfast, but I swear it seems like I'm more hungry now that I eat breakfast and that frustrates me to no end. Do you all feel the same and any suggestions?! Because I'm contemplating just going back to just coffee and cream or uping my workouts to 2x a day one in the morning before breakfast and one in the evening... to burn more calories that I seem to want to consume more of, since I started eating breakfast. Don't get me wrong, I usually don't go over my calorie goals, but I swear, I feel like I'm starving sometimes now and I never used to feel like that when I didnt eat breakfast?! Btw, breakfast is always just 1/2c plain old instant oatmeal, with 1/3c craisens and 1/3c raisens with 2tsp brown sugar. Any tips/suggestions are welcome...

I can't eat straight out of bed, but i will eat breakfast around 10 am.
    what I notice with your breakfast - it looks like it's all sugar. what probably happens, is you get a spike in your blood sugar, your body creates too much insulin, and removes it all in record time. then your blood sugar is low, and you start craving a bunch of carbs...
    try to pick some foods with lower glycemic index, and add fiber or protein (or both). that should fill you up better and last longer.
  • Maggie821
    Maggie821 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If I start the day with carbs, then I am hungry all time. I function best with protein in the a.m. - having carbs with it is okay, but I focus more on the protein in the a.m.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Okay, I know all experts say yes, eat breakfast, and to be honest I have never been one to eat breakfast. The only thing in the morning that I used to consume was just a coffee with cream and sugar, if that. But now that I'm on mfp (for about 3 weeks now) I'm trying to be good and eat breakfast, but I swear it seems like I'm more hungry now that I eat breakfast and that frustrates me to no end. Do you all feel the same and any suggestions?! Because I'm contemplating just going back to just coffee and cream or uping my workouts to 2x a day one in the morning before breakfast and one in the evening... to burn more calories that I seem to want to consume more of, since I started eating breakfast. Don't get me wrong, I usually don't go over my calorie goals, but I swear, I feel like I'm starving sometimes now and I never used to feel like that when I didnt eat breakfast?! Btw, breakfast is always just 1/2c plain old instant oatmeal, with 1/3c craisens and 1/3c raisens with 2tsp brown sugar. Any tips/suggestions are welcome...
    Don't have to eat it. I skip it 6 days a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a big morning eater... I have my 2 mugs of coffee with my suger free creamer ( whichever flavor I have ) and my 2 packs of sweet n low. THATS IT! I eat my bulk of calories during my 11 am-5 pm and a snack sometime at night. Everyone is different . Up to this point it works for me. :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is a MUST, it's not a question at all. Eating breakfast gets your metabolism working and fuels you for the day, making you more likely to have the energy to work out. It's ideal to work out at night because then your metabolism works while you sleep through the night burning fat. Then when you eat a healthy breakfast the next morning, it makes your metabolism kick back in and it gives you the energy to go through your day and work out again.

Skipping breakfast and not eating multiple small meals a day is part of the reason women have a hard time losing weight.
    Myth. There is no scientific peer reviewed studies to support this by any journal of medicine or science.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    I've never been a breakfast person until recently, but I don't care for breakfast foods so I will usually eat something like one piece of grilled chicken. It sets the tone for the rest of the day...for me, anyway.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry

/end thread
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Add protein to your breakfast. 3 or 4 egg whites, either hardboiled or in a scramble. That should help with the hunger. Also try eating every 2 to 3 hours. something small
  • gleechick609
    Options

Wrong. ^^^

Skip breakfast if you want to. It's a personal preference thing and has ZERO bearing on weight loss.

This.
  • AGSawatzky
    Options
    I am a FIRM believer of eating 5-6 meals per day and ALWAYS eating breakfast within one hour of waking. You should be having clean, well balanced meals/snacks between 200-300 calories every 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Yes you will be hungrier at the beginning and it will be because your metabolism is working how it is meant to. Carbs and whole grains should be consumed early in the day to keep you fueled for the rest of the day. If you haven't already read up on it, check our Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Principles it is definitely a good, easy read and puts it ALL in perspective.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I need thew protein in the am. I don't want my body using my muscle for fuel.

You should really invest in one of these to prevent catabolism

129126342324388080.jpg
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I would never want to use any of my calories unless I was hungry. I love to eat, and when I am only allowed so many cals per day, not only do I use them but I use em wisely. Skip it if you don't want to eat breakfast! :) Good luck on your journey. BTW I love breakfast, lol
  • btzisabel
    btzisabel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's personal. I can't start my day if I don't have breakfast, but I know people that simply can't get to eat anything when they've just woke up, so do what it feels better for you.
  • baddbob
    baddbob Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm am sure it varies, but I know what is now working for me. I was never hungry for breakfast, therefore I rarely ate it. I ate most of my calories later in the day. Guess what? It never worked. I now see a dietician that tells me to spread my calories out throughout the day. I basically eat 6 times a day to keep my system fueled and burning calories. Guess what?? It works!!! It has also helped me curb my appetite so I am not getting hungry later.

My one exception is that when I head to the gym in the evening, I pump up some extra protein and an extra supplement to help with muscle recovery.

This is the formula that seems to be working for me after many years of trying many things.

Good luck sorting through all of the advice!!

BB
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm am sure it varies, but I know what is now working for me. I was never hungry for breakfast, therefore I rarely ate it. I ate most of my calories later in the day. Guess what? It never worked. I now see a dietician that tells me to spread my calories out throughout the day. I basically eat 6 times a day to keep my system fueled and burning calories. Guess what?? It works!!! It has also helped me curb my appetite so I am not getting hungry later.

Your body would be burning calories regardless of if you ate 1 meal a day or 10 meals a day, if your dietician told you otherwise, I'd get a new one
  • hsandall
    hsandall Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Try more protein. I used to hate breakfast cause it would make me really hungry before lunch, but than realized I was eating just carbs.... Starting eating eggs, peanut butter, cheese or nuts with oatmeal and BAM! Never hungry again before lunch.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I am a FIRM believer of eating 5-6 meals per day and ALWAYS eating breakfast within one hour of waking. You should be having clean, well balanced meals/snacks between 200-300 calories every 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Yes you will be hungrier at the beginning and it will be because your metabolism is working how it is meant to. Carbs and whole grains should be consumed early in the day to keep you fueled for the rest of the day. If you haven't already read up on it, check our Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Principles it is definitely a good, easy read and puts it ALL in perspective.
    Glad that is working, but everything you said is nonsense.