Does anyone use coconut oil

Replies

• IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    I use it instead of butter in recipes. I also make face cream out of it.
  • How expensive is it? where do you buy it?

I bought online Gold Label Virgin
    Coconut Oil in Tropical Traditions http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/faq.htm#12

I paid 29.50. I looks good for being pure, virgin, handmade and Certified Organic / FL 32. oz
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I like coconut oil and cook with it a lot (and butter and ghee and bacon fat).

As far as adding it to coffee: I have tried it and couldn't get it down. Blech. Unsalted butter sounds a bit better, but why not just use heavy cream? Or, rather, what is the supposed benefit of using high quality butter over high quality heavy cream?

The mix of unsalted butter and coconut oil blended with coffee give you a strong shot of medium chain fatty acids. These are an excellent and easily accessible energy source for the body. It also does some training of the body to get used to burning fat for energy instead of looking for sugar as energy. There is more info on this at the website www.bulletproofexecutive.com. He is the inventor of Bulletproof Coffee. He acutally uses MCT oil (Medium Chain Triglyceride). If blended and frothy is is excellent!
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    bump
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member

As far as adding it to coffee: I have tried it and couldn't get it down. Blech. Unsalted butter sounds a bit better, but why not just use heavy cream? Or, rather, what is the supposed benefit of using high quality butter over high quality heavy cream?

The mix of unsalted butter and coconut oil blended with coffee give you a strong shot of medium chain fatty acids. These are an excellent and easily accessible energy source for the body. It also does some training of the body to get used to burning fat for energy instead of looking for sugar as energy. There is more info on this at the website www.bulletproofexecutive.com. He is the inventor of Bulletproof Coffee. He acutally uses MCT oil (Medium Chain Triglyceride). If blended and frothy is is excellent!
    Yeah. I'd just use coconut milk for the MCTs and maybe blend it with some good cream. The coconut oil (in coffee) was pretty gross to me. I didn't blend it, though, so perhaps that would help but I'm not sure that I would want to waste perfectly good coffee, coconut oil and Kerrygold if I ended up having to toss it out. :happy:
  • It is AMAZING!! Google it and it will tell you all the uses. I have never used it for cooking although I am thinking about doing it in a smoothie in the morning for immune system wellness. Hair, skin, nausea...etc!!!!! And yes it needs to be Virgin and unrefined.
  • Guys:

What are the claims behind this?? I used MCT oil in the old days(A man made product) and not only did it not deliver unless you went on a ketogenic diet, but was nasty. MCT oil was refined in a way to keep the majority of the trigycerides in the 8-10 carbon range. It was a Liquid at RT.

I have seen this in the health food store and it is like Ghee... a slushy semi solid fat. I realize that saturated fats are better for sauteeing and pan searing.

Is it of use to folks who still choose to eat carbohydrates. I am beyond the days of going ketogenic....if fact I think I can never get my BS in the range needed to go into Ketosis.
  • mmapags

Yeah. I'd just use coconut milk for the MCTs and maybe blend it with some good cream. The coconut oil (in coffee) was pretty gross to me. I didn't blend it, though, so perhaps that would help but I'm not sure that I would want to waste perfectly good coffee, coconut oil and Kerrygold if I ended up having to toss it out. :happy:

I agree if it's not blended, then it's just oily coffee. The blending makes it frothy and delicious. Brew a little extra one Saturday Morning and give it a try. I use 16 OZ coffee, 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil and 2 Talbespoons of unsalted butter.
  • mmapags
    Guys:

What are the claims behind this?? I used MCT oil in the old days(A man made product) and not only did it not deliver unless you went on a ketogenic diet, but was nasty. MCT oil was refined in a way to keep the majority of the trigycerides in the 8-10 carbon range. It was a Liquid at RT.

I have seen this in the health food store and it is like Ghee... a slushy semi solid fat. I realize that saturated fats are better for sauteeing and pan searing.

Is it of use to folks who still choose to eat carbohydrates. I am beyond the days of going ketogenic....if fact I think I can never get my BS in the range needed to go into Ketosis.

I understand what you are saying. My food plan is not ketogenic but on the edge of it at 80 to 120 grams of carbs per day. I have personally never used the MCT Oil as the cocnut oil has more uses and I'm not going to buy and store one more item. The Bullet Proof guy says MCT has more Medium Chain Fatty Acids. He explains the concept behind it on his website if I remember correctly. I first heard about it on The Primal Blueprint Forum where the thread is something like 36 pages last time I looked.
  • miller0438
    miller0438 Posts: 72 Member
    bump
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    I just got some the other week and so far have used it in rice, popcorn and scrambled eggs. Noticed that I use a lot less (about 1/2 of what I would if using vegetable oil) for rice.

There are different kinds of coconut oil. I went with Spectrum Naturals Organic Coconut Oil thats refined and expeller pressed. Its great for medium to high heat. This one has no coconut flavor or smell to it so its great for regular cooking where you don't want the coconut flavor.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    What are you looking to use it for? I use it for everything from diaper rash to cooking, haha.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    I used 1tsp to cook rice (4 portions) and 1 tbs to mix some tuna, peppers and mushrooms also divided by 4 portions (I cook and stock my meals in order to fill my meal plan for the week).

I'm still in week 1 using this oil, from MFP advice and I feel good, actually I think I'm a bit more energetic...still it's too early to say something else :)

edit: the food gets a slight taste of coconut, not sweet, actually kinda nice :)
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    A friend of MFP mentioned that she uses coconut oil on her hair and it has done wonders. Was thinking of buying some to try.

Yes it really works well for my hair. I rubbed some in and left it in my hair overnight this pass Friday night and my hair was so soft and conditioned on Saturday when i washed it out. Try and report too...
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    I use coconut oil for everything I cook. I heard it is one of the only oils that does not transform into a transfat when heated enough to sautee etc. I have basically quit using EVOO. For salad dressings I use almond oil. It doesn't solidify in the fridge like EVOO.
    p.s. I also put it in green tea.
  • I put it in my coffee also
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,338 Member
    VCO in my coffee is my new favorite morning treat. I add a little milk or half 'n half and it tastes nutty and satisfying!
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Coconut oil is WONDERFUL for mosturizing your hair. I use it on a daily basis. :-) I've always wondered how it would taste.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    bump to respond back when time permits and to get even more ideas on creating with this yummyness!:happy:
  • I USE IT ON MY SKIN BUT I SEE MOST ARE ACTUALLY EATING IT!! lol.