Stretch Marks & Pouch Before & Afters

Options

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a belly pouch left and I've come to realize? It isn't fat, it is skin. Skin that stretched both with two pregnancies and weight gain. Unfortunately, it won't go away with diet or exercise. I didn't lose my weight quickly and I did it the right way. Sometimes the skin has just been stretched beyond its limits to return to its normal state.

I accept that this is who I am. I have two kids and I won't ever have a flat belly again nor will I ever wear a bikini again. I'm okay with it.

Perhaps some day - I will have a tummy tuck, but right now I'm too cheap to have cosmetic surgery just to have it.

I think in the back of my head I knew this, just didn't want to believe it! Argh! It's exactly this that makes me want to just be fat forever, what's the point in being healthy if I still HATE my body?

^^this is exactly my thinking some days!

If you have children yo have a responsibility to keep yourself as healthy as possible so that you can be there to raise them and to set a good example for them. Do you want them to go through the same struggles that you have, or do you want them to learn how to be healthy from the start?
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My MFP start pic, my youngest was 11mo when I took this pic. You can't see the pooch super well, I was trying to hide it with my shorts.
    e80c70ec.jpg

I literally just took this pic. This is 4, almost 5, months into my journey. I am 22lbs down and about 6 from my goal. As you can see, the pooch is still there a bit on the bottom, and I still have stretch marks but as far as my stomach has come, I can live with the stretch marks.
    IMAG0129.jpg
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a belly pouch left and I've come to realize? It isn't fat, it is skin. Skin that stretched both with two pregnancies and weight gain. Unfortunately, it won't go away with diet or exercise. I didn't lose my weight quickly and I did it the right way. Sometimes the skin has just been stretched beyond its limits to return to its normal state.

I accept that this is who I am. I have two kids and I won't ever have a flat belly again nor will I ever wear a bikini again. I'm okay with it.

Perhaps some day - I will have a tummy tuck, but right now I'm too cheap to have cosmetic surgery just to have it.

I think in the back of my head I knew this, just didn't want to believe it! Argh! It's exactly this that makes me want to just be fat forever, what's the point in being healthy if I still HATE my body?

the point to the exercise and feeding your body with the right fuels is to actually learn to love your body or come to terms with it. no surgery in the world can do this. there is no 'perfect' body, thats why magazines still air brush and movies are editied. the type of perfection you're looking for is found on a software disc somewhere in cyber space called photoshop. i'm so fed up of all mums going on about body image, what are you passing on to your kids? you were giving an amazing gift, a child and you came out of child birth with no permanent complications and you moan about something as little as saggy tummy skin and wearing a bikini. There are worse things in the world than not looking perfect on the beach.
    This is what the media do, they make you feel so inadequate as a human being and some of it is your fault because you let them. i had a big baby and i have excess lose skin, i was over 14 stone after i had him and made the decision to become healthy, fit and strong for my family. like you i expected to get my body back to what it was pre pregnancy and why wont i? hiedi klum did it, kate moss did it even jlo did it. so of course i would. big mistake, i'm an average woman, my wages do not depend on how i look, and so i cant justify spending thousands on my body. you shouldnt. its just so ugly to be that vain. focus on the good things in life, the great things in life. you're alive, you helped mother nature in the life cycle and now your a mum. be healthy and fit for the sake of it. and love your body with the saggy skin and all.
    vanity is just that!

Okay. I just want to comment --- I don't buy magazines nor do I look at models and compare myself to them.

My issues with my body came from looking in the mirror and not liking what I see - it had NOTHING to do with the media. I couldn't care less about models or celebrities and their bodies. I'm not young and naive and think that everyone looks like that under their clothes. Come on now.

Your post comes across a bit harsh to someone who is struggling body image issues. Not everyone compares how they look to Angelina Jolie or whatever.

Sometimes, you're just unhappy with your body. Yes, kids are a blessing and all that - but let's face it.. this is the only body we're going to have and sometimes - it comes out of the delivery room being unrecognizable. I love my kids dearly and wouldn't trade them for a flat belly, but that doesn't mean it is easy to cope with the "bad" side of being pregnant or overweight.

I'm sorry, but learning to love your flaws isn't something that just happens overnight. It isn't easy. It took me a long time and a lot of self evaluation to come to realize that I didn't need to ever wear a bikini again, that tankinis are just fine. Or that I'll never have a flat belly again and that's okay with me. :)

this all the way
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any children, but I do have concerns about stretch marks/loose skin from being obese for so many years (SW 297lbs @ 5'4", GW 135-140lbs). Some of the stretch marks are pretty faint to begin with, but the ones on my lower abdomen and hips/sides are bright red. Honestly, I'm less concerned with the stretch marks and more concerned with the loose skin. Stretch marks can be hidden under clothing, but too much loose skin looks like I'm still carrying excess weight. Anybody on here lost 100+ lbs and had these problems. If so, how do you deal with it...mentally/emotionally, I mean? I know the only way to actually get rid of excess skin is to have surgery, but I doubt I'll be able to afford that any time soon. However, I know I'm gonna be disappointed to some degree when I lose all this weight and still have body image issues because of this.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I've had 2 C-sections, and have tried some not-so-healthy means of losing weight, so I had TONS of loose skin, plus my remaining pooch. I can tell you that my loose skin (not to be gross, but the part that hangs), has dramatically decreased in the last 3 - 4 months or so. I've done Insanity and P90X, elliptical work, etc. I can tell you that I've seen the most change once I started running. I hated running, but I started the Couch to 5K program and that has made all the difference. Of course I watch what I eat and drink loads of water, but I am here to tell you there is hope. I'm not sure if I'll ever have a completely flat belly, but I sure am on my way there. Now I've still got stretch marks so I'm not sure I'll ever be brave enough to wear a 2 piece bathing suit, but at least my tummy will be a bit flatter.

Just keep working hard. It'll happen for you. Don't worry about that right now, worry about the next 100 feet in front of you. Think about what you're doing today, tomorrow, this week to help you reach your goals. Once you're almost at your goal weight you can re-evaluate your strategy and tweak it as you need to. Good luck!!

ty so much
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    My belly has gone up and down since I had kids, never really been flat. I have not really tried to work on toning much though, so I have hopes! Also, I don't have "strectch marks" I have Mama Tiger Stripes! I earned them and have two beautiful children! Also, I have seen pics on here of woman that have gotten rid of their pooch after kids including ones with c-sections if that makes you feel better :) I hope things go well for you on your way to better health!
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I dont know how to add pictures but I have 2 sons both were over 10lbs at birth and so I was stretched like you wouldnt believe, I have stretchmarks pretty much everywhere, boobs belly sides legs where my tummy meets my pubic bone EVERYWHERE, they arent going anywhere so whatever.
    As far as the pouch I had a ridiculous one after my first, never lost the weight and 2 years later had my pouch was even worse!!
    I could hold a pencil under it lol, ( not that I tried) my underwear would roll up under it, it was BAD!
    Now 5 months after delivery and loosing the weight from 2nd pregnancy and then some, my pouch is going away! ( I can no longer hold a pencil there, I just tried!), the skin is loose, you can pull just skin, but it doesnt hang grosly or anything now, just wrinkly but up closer to my body, I do still have fat on my tummy and it is deff not flat, but It doesnt embarass me.
    I moisturize frequently and do baby oil after showers. I think loosing slowly is the key
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Strevictin for stretch marks. Use it 4x per day for 12 weeks.

Now it is rather expensive, at the departments store it is around 135.00 for 4 ounces but you can get 6 ounces for around 100 at Costco when they have the coupon for it.

I use it for my face and the lady that gives me my facials started using it after she gave me my first one instead of trying to sell me her products. She said the cell regeneration I have going on is incredible for some one that is 43 and also smoked for 25 years.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    You can't do anything about stretch marks. They will fade and shrink after time but that's it. Consider them a trophy for being able to have your beautiful child. :)
    The pouch? A lot of it is up to mother nature. If you inherited good skin elasticity there is a chance your tummy will look exactly like it did before you got pregnant. I gave birth to 3 kids and mine returned to normal. But.... now I'm 50 and after looking like I'm preg. due to being overweight (hence the name lol) ,,, I have a new pouch to work on. I'm not sure how it will turn out in the end but I'm going to keep losing weight at a healthy, slow pace and exercise the crap out of my abs. If by chance it works I'll be happy. If not, I'll consider it a trophy for losing the weight and being healthier. Sometimes we just have to change the way we look at things.. or try to anyway!
    Congrats on the little one and good luck to you!
  • giggles1973
    giggles1973 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    After having 2 kids ( 2 c sections) never thought the "kangaroo pouch" as I call it would ever go away. So happy to say after doing 30 day shred for 2 months now and eating well it's gone :) as for stretch marks... Only have a few above my belly button but I don't even care about them. I figure it's a result from having my kids and it really doesn't bother me. I'd rather NOT have them but if that's the results of being prego then so be it :smile: I'm fine with the fact I'll never be on the cover of Sports Illustrated lol
  • sassynsweet2014
    sassynsweet2014 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    After carrying twins, and then about a year later my youngest, my body is far from perfect, it took me awhile to come to terms with the fact that I will never have a perfect bikini body again, but you know what, that's okay.

I found this fabulous poem and wanted to share it <3 it's from this blog...

http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2012/01/19/stretch-marks-wear-them-with-pride

jpg36-460x287.jpg

the poem up close:

stretch-mark-picture2-463x1024.jpg
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi I have 3 children and although I didnt get stretch marks I did have a pouch of skin hanging over my belly which I felt conscious of. My kids all weighed around 8.5lb. For the last 3 years I was slightly underweight, bones showing, yet I still had that flap of skin. Gained 30lb between sept and oct and although Ive only lost 10lb, since I started 30 day shred my tummy is looking the best it has for 13 years, since before my children came along!!! Its getting toned and I feel much more confident. Hope this has helped.

My boobs also shrank after feeding 3 children and I always look tired...but my kiddies are so worth it!! :smile: :tongue: :smile:
  • RainbowBrite86
    RainbowBrite86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP

Picnikcollage2-1.jpg

Now:

snapshot11.jpg
  • chrissyw63
    chrissyw63 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My kid tore me up with stretch marks! While I'm not stoked that you all have them too, I'm glad to know I'm not alone :) And I def appreciate those who shared pics/success stories. There's hope of at least toning my pooch! A friend of mine told me, regarding stretchmarks, "you're a tiger who earned her stripes" ... while I thought that was a silly saying, I couldn't agree more. Go team mama! :)

@ sassynsweet19: I looooove that poem! Thanks for sharing :)
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    After carrying twins, and then about a year later my youngest, my body is far from perfect, it took me awhile to come to terms with the fact that I will never have a perfect bikini body again, but you know what, that's okay.

I found this fabulous poem and wanted to share it <3 it's from this blog...

http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2012/01/19/stretch-marks-wear-them-with-pride

jpg36-460x287.jpg

the poem up close:

stretch-mark-picture2-463x1024.jpg

love this.
  • c3js80
    c3js80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Beautiful.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I have 3 children and even before my 1st pregnancy I have had this obsecion with applying lotion to all over my body kinda like and ocd LOL!!. Anyways when I first got pregnant and for all my pregnancies I used Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula with Vitamin E Lotion Lotion through my pregnancy and a few months after. I did get stretchmarks on my stomack and my my boobs but they are very faint and small.

When I started working out I started using lotions that promoted elasticity. Nivea is okay but Im not too fond of the consistancy. I have used many brands jergens and such currently Im using St. Ives Body Lotion Skin Renewing Collagen Elastin.

Any ways I agree the stretchmarks will not go away you may just be able to make them faint as for pouch it takes time but it can also be reduced.

These are the only pics I have of me showing my before and after.

Progress.jpg
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Retin-a worked wonderfully for my stretchmarks. Got a script from my dermatologist.
    I will say being a woman of color mine were very very dark. Now you can hardly see them. Not sure how well it will work on fairer skin. I really wish I had taken before and after pics.
  • WendySue75
    WendySue75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    according to Jillian Michaels & some others the only way to get that harmful belly fat gone is CARDIO..... yes, imprtant to do the weights too, but CARDIO, CARDIO, CARDIO.... so maybe try to even up your %'s a bit more like 60-40 or even 50-50... and as far as stretch marks from pregnancy goes... I call them my war wounds :) some women who are unable to have children would love to have had the ability to have gotten stretch marks.... who cares, be fit & healthy, not some image we see airbrushed on magazine covers :happy:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I usually only lose about 0.2-0.5kgs a week (except last week I dropped 2kg for some reason!!). Slow and steady wins the race, I know that. But I have spoken to a lot of women who lost their weight slowly with a lot of weight training (I do about 70% weights and 30% cardio) & they still have a LOT of excess skin by the time their body fat % was back in check. :(

I am one of those women, I haven't had kids, but I have a stomach that looks more or less like I have, plus hips, thighs, arms, etc. with extra skin. I lost about half my weight slowly, and the other half quickly (2lbs per week). I do weight training. Although I put on some weight about 18 months ago, I've been either a "healthy weight" or just over it for about 5 years. I can honestly say, my extra skin hasn't gotten much better over time. The extra skin sucks, but being healthy and fit with extra skin is a lot better than being morbidly obese IMHO.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!