Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Options

Replies

• nurseloopy
    Options
    :happy: Hi all!
    I have lost 2.5kg in one month on 1800cals a day. Am thinking of moving up to 2000cals a day for march.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    bumping so i can read every single post!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance and have been since Sept 2010.

I can easily lose weight while consuming 2100-2200 NET calories. I maintain in the 2300-2500 NET range (though I've found I can go as high as 2700 or 2800 net, but that is just too much food).

Anything lower than 2000 calories a day and my body gets VERY grumpy.

Not sure if it matters, but I'm 5'4", 36 years old and around 145lbs.
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2100 cals a day, but I bust my *kitten*... 1-2 hours of some form of exercise. I work out like that so I can eat more. I haven't lost as quickly lately, but my body fat goes down at least 1/2 -1 % a week.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    You rang? :huh:

5'7", 123-125lbs depending on the size of my oatmeal in the morning :laugh: I've been maintaining for over a year now and cannot imagine eating 1200 cals/day. I would be the grouchiest most "hangry" person ALIVE

Seriously - I eat a TON. Check out my diary. I usually NET around 1600-1800 calories a day. Don't always log every bite, however. I am somewhat flexible on it. Most days, probably more :blushing:

I run 3x a week, spin once a week, try to lift 2-3 times a week when I can, and crosstrain 2x a week. Training for races has kept me lean but I am eager to build more muscle and I know that a hungry body won't do me any good.

Happy to see so many other ladies that "get" it.
    Starving yourself for vanity is not only soooo 90s, it's needless, painful and it doesn't work. Love all the positive energy in this thread. Pursuing healthy eating + living = WIN!
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I stumbled upon this thread because I decided today to increase my daily calories. I want to lose about 15 lbs. but more importantly I want to get strong and plan to start a strength training program on Monday. It just dawned on my the reason I've been so spacy and crabby lately is that I'm not eating enough!!! Duh! I'm going to start at about 1600 calories (on non-exercise days) and try 1900 on days I train or do some form of aerobic exercise. Glad I found this thread!!

edited for typo :)
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • deanaimee
    deanaimee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me so hopeful that I won't be "hangry" forever :)

I almost wish I hadn't started tracking my calories and just started watching what I eat and started all the exercise I have been doing. I am sure I was eating a ton of calories,probably way more than 2000, and just making better choices and becoming more active would've probably worked very well for me (without all the counting and obsessing)

Question: About 5 years ago, I had my V02 Max done at the Y that I worked out at. The dietitian said that it showed that i should eat 1500 on non-exercise days and 1800 on exercise day. That's only 1500 net.
    Was my dietitian wrong? Or am I someone who isn't supposed to eat over 1500 net? Also, I am 5'9" and 207 lbs. 37 next month! Yikes :)

Thanks for this thread :)
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    Saving this for later.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    question: About 5 years ago, I had my V02 Max done at the Y that I worked out at. The dietitian said that it showed that i should eat 1500 on non-exercise days and 1800 on exercise day. That's only 1500 net.
    Was my dietitian wrong? Or am I someone who isn't supposed to eat over 1500 net? Also, I am 5'9" and 207 lbs. 37 next month! Yikes :)

Thanks for this thread :)
    It's very possible that s/he was wrong. Sounds low to me, but it could be based on a slowed metabolism, or any other number of issues. The average person at your height and weight who wants to maintain** their weight and exercises 3-5 times a week should be averaging around 2200 cals/day. 1700 cals/day for steady weight loss.

A quick calculator can be found below, but remember its a rough guideline and depends on a number of factors. If you're exercising like a mad-woman, or your metabolism has been starved to the point of shutting down, it's not going to work quite the same.

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Good luck!
  • deanaimee
    deanaimee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Thanks for the link :) I will look at it today. I have only been limiting my calories for 5 weeks and I have been netting 1300. Over this week, I have been upping it and am now doing 1500. I lost 7 lbs in the first 2 weeks, but stayed the same since, gaining a couple lbs this week.

I hope this thread is my key to success. I am LOVING working out now and am addicted to being accountable to myself through this site :)
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I just cant believe the success stories while eating 1500 - 2000 + calories! It baffles me. I have never eaten that much in my life.
    I am 5' 5" and 150lbs, 37 yrs old. I have been eating 1200 calories for a few years and exercise religiously 5-6 x a week doing spinning or heavy weights. I have also ran 3 marathons. Even while training, I never ate that much. I guess that's why I never lost weight! I think when you eat 1200 your body adjusts. I make healthy choices and never really feel hungry. Im going to start eating 1500 calories/day (my BMR is 1450) but I dont plan to eat back my exercise calories. Im REALLY nervous to try this because I dont want to gain anymore weight.

But seeing some ladies on here that are my age, height, activity level, and eating 1800 + calories and losing weight, I now feel inspired to give it a try. Here's hoping my years of struggling will pay off.......:)

I'm 40, 5'4 1/2", 112 lbs, 16% BF and I eat about 1950 a day. I've lost about 30 lbs (some before starting MFP). I'm in maintenance though. When I was trying to lose I ate 1200 a day. I have not gained any back since bumping it up to 1950. I found that I needed to bump it up that high just to fuel my workouts and build muscle. Don't be afraid to bump up your calories. I did it slowly at first. I went to 1500, then 1600, then 1700, and eventually 1950 (which is beyond where MFP would put me for maintenance).
  • Nessalee77
    Nessalee77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I am a newbie, just bumping this to read later. I have been eating under 1200 on some days so that I can eat more on the weekends, although I have been eating back all my exercise calories over the week. I need to do a lot more research it seems...
  • nicole061488
    nicole061488 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is full of great information. Thanks!
  • tammyandzach
    tammyandzach Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I started at 254 lbs. I have been set up at 2000 calories and generally have been eating between 1700-2300. I have been burning 7-800 during workout 6 days a week. I am down to 138 losing 1-2 lbs a week in the last month and a half. I can't do anything drastic because I am still nursing and have milk supply issues. My brother did lose 130 lbs and then just finished his first iron man. He says to pick your goal weight and eat the number of calories it takes to maintain that weight and then your calories exercised will get you that much closer.
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    This is a really interesting thread!!! MFP gave me 1500/day + 500 for exclusively breastfeeding. Checked out BMR calculator and it tells me my BMR is 1557.... timed the value for exercise (I started doing track sessions 2/week, zumba 1/week, pilates 1/week and go for 30-70 min walks almost every day) is coming up to over 2400 for maintenance! So does this mean I could happily eat 1900 and still lose weight?
    (aiming for a bout a lb a week - currently I'm 5'4 at 175lbs and I'm 34 - anyone want to do me the favour to check I calculated things right please?)

Probably that or more since you are breastfeeding. What does your calories burned add up to this past week ? add that up and divide it by 7 days, see how much more that puts you up.
    Thanks for the reply! Well, I only really started tracking my exercise since Monday (never added them before really!) and for 5 days it's 1868 cals so 373.5 cals per day. 2273 cals net per day so? Sounds incredibly many!!!! I'm half afraid what would happen if I went from my 1500 per day to 1900 (+500 for nursing!) per day - and most days I'm under and didn't eat my exercise cals back...

This'll take a BIG leap of faith to up my cal intake daily cos in my head I need to eat less to lose weight :noway:
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have always had quite a big appetite and have been ashamed of it all my life. I even got gastric bypass to feel the feeling of being full and satisfied. Moving my body was the key ingredient that was lacking. I am doing away with the scale and putting my heart and soul into exercising. Since I am a performer and this is my slow time, I have the time to dedicate to working out. I am definitely going to eat over 1800 calories a day and I am recommending all my friends to eat at least their BMR because so many of them are starving themselves (men included). The point is that we have to be able to live with this forever. Not sure how I feel about spike days because if I am satisfied with the amount of food that I am eating, then there shouldn't be a reason to go all out once a week. I eat super healthy, clean eating and many foods that boost the metabolism. I think for me, exercise is the key. You have to learn to love it if this is going to be a lifestyle that you can live with for the rest of your life. I don't think I will be as intense as I am now forever, but I definitely forsee this as a lifestyle this time around. I am also going to do away with the scale. The scale lies and if my body is feeling great, that is what I should be basing everything on, and not the relationship I have with gravity. You guys are all an inspiration to me. How do you all feel about spike days??
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I am thinking that those that have spike days ( I was one) is kinda already eating 1800 calories/day anyway.... they just don't know it.... they eat like 1300 for 5 days and then a couple times a week they eat 2600 and if you add it up and spread it out over a week they are actually upping their daily calories anyway.....
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I started at 254 lbs. I have been set up at 2000 calories and generally have been eating between 1700-2300. I have been burning 7-800 during workout 6 days a week. I am down to 138 losing 1-2 lbs a week in the last month and a half. I can't do anything drastic because I am still nursing and have milk supply issues. My brother did lose 130 lbs and then just finished his first iron man. He says to pick your goal weight and eat the number of calories it takes to maintain that weight and then your calories exercised will get you that much closer.

If you used your brother's idea you would probably come up with the same numbers roughly. I just did mine for my ideal weight, came up with 1600 calories ( which also happens to be my BMR at current weight ) to maintain my ideal weight with my desk job, then if I exercised, which I will be it was 2100 calories a day to maintain my ideal weight when I get there..... so he is somewhat correct, just a different way of looking at it... :)
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm usually at 1800+ if I'm exercising, still losing at a rate I'm pretty happy with!