Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Options

Replies

• mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    Lost 39lbs ... lost a lot of inches...down 4 dress sizes~
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    So, those of you who have tried the increased calories for a while and seen success - what are your average NET calories? I've been looking at gross (1750) and not eating exercise calories, but only for 5 days so I can't tell how it's going yet. My net is always below 1200 because I'm a gym rat.

Exactly my question! I'm a gym rat as well, I usually gross about 1800 but my net is more like 1100-1300. From what people are saying, gross calories should be more like 2000-2400?? Wow... never eaten that much since before I discovered calories in high school. That's scary to me. I can't believe I could lose weight with that. Just bumped up to 1800 gross about 3 days ago after reading this thread (THANK YOU! It feels so good to EAT again) but not sure I'm ready to make the leap to 2400. I want my clothes to fit!
    It has certainly worked for some...but be a little weary and find what works for you. I gained weight or stalled when I did this because I burn SO much at the gym. I finally went and got my metabolic testing done. I had a RMR of 1607 I multiply that by how active I am that day so I EAT 1700-2200 a day. On an extremely active day my BMR times 1.7 is around 2700, so if I want to still lose weight and subtract a pound (500 cals) 2200 is my limit. I have finally started losing after doing this. I would be netting under 1200 eating 2500 calories on some heavy days and not understanding why I wasn't losing...when I realized I was actually eating around maintenance.
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Bump - to read through all the posts later.

I got down to my goal weight last year by sticking to 1200 net, but I've put some back on again and I CANNOT FACE the thought of starving myself again! I need food!! My workout regime now includes strength training so I'm thinking eating at that much of a deficit will not work this time around anyway.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    31prv,

Thanks for your advice. I have been eating 1200 cal, doing weights and spinning 5-6 x a week, and I eat SO clean it makes my friends sick :laugh: I plan to up my calories starting tomorrow - all due to this blog ! Im worried to gain weight but I know it's part of it. How much will I gain before I lose? Im 37, 5'5" and 150 lbs, 1480 BMR. Do you suggest I eat 1600 cal/day? Thanks.
    You will need to eat more than that! You are very active and at a very healthy weight. You will have to let your body feel comfortable losing the weight it thinks looks good!
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    You can use that, or go to fattofit radio. They have a good calculator. Take that 1480 and multiply it by 1.5 or 1.725. Then subtract 250 or 500 calories for a deficit. You should be eating around 2000-2200 on big workout days!
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. So, to be clear, as long as I am net 1200, I am eating enough??
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Could someone/anyone explain the "bump" thing? Thanks!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Could someone/anyone explain the "bump" thing? Thanks!
    "I don't have anything to contribute to the thread right now but I'd like it to appear in My Topics to read later"
  • doonesbury
    Options
    What does this "bump" thing mean?
  • doonesbury
    Options
    Thanks!

I want to BUMP this! :)
  • BerryH
    Options
    Thanks for the information. So, to be clear, as long as I am net 1200, I am eating enough??
    No, 1,200 isn't nearly enough for most people. If you don't want to do all the hard sums posted hear, just go with what MFP gives you to lose 1lb a week and eat your exercise calories.
  • doonesbury
    Options
    Is posting BUMP all I need to do?
  • BerryH
    Options
    Is posting BUMP all I need to do?
    Any words you post will do, you'll find this under your My Topics already!
  • shelbysmom08
    Options
    OK I never wanted to post this but here it is I am 5 ft 7 in and i statred at 322 almost 2 weeks ago the website eat 2800 cal a day! HA i can't! I am down to307 and it says 2,300 cals a day! I am close but not always. I am determined to get to under 300 my April 1st! ANY ONE WHO WANTS TO ADD ME AS A FRIEND AND MOTIVATE ME IS WELCOME!
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm under the advice of a Nutritionist and I'm eating 1900 cals a day, undertaking 4 gym classes a week and trying to eat as clean as I can!

How's everyone getting on? I couldn't survive on 1200 cals, not enough for me!!!
  • jeichacker
    jeichacker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me to eat 1800 especially on days we worked out. I did and gained 15 pounds over 2 months. I quit the trainer and am back eating only 1200 and running every other day, training for a 5k in May. Hope I can lose those 10. I am 54, 5'1" and weight 155 now. I started with the PT to lose weight.
  • blessmy5
    blessmy5 Posts: 95
    Options
    I'm intersted in this also. I just went to maintenance and want to build muscle....
  • fashionista954
    fashionista954 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    A big hooray to women who aren't afraid to eat! Food is not the enemy, people who insist on lowcal diets are. :wink:
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • wellnessfreak
    Options
    I never have much of an appetite
    so I am only eating like a thousand calories aday orless