Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Options

Replies

• jennkess
    jennkess Posts: 86
    Options
    This is a great thread - I just upped my calories from 1300 to 1600 last week when I started running (before that I wasn't really exercising much) Now I'm wondering if I should increase them more. Should it be done gradually? I am one of those people that is scared to death to eat more. I have never had issues with hunger on 1300 calories a day because I eat good food and I break it down into a lot of little meals, but since starting my exercise program I am finding myself hungry a lot. HELP
    if you find yourself hungry- EAT it's your body asking for fuel.... as long as you make sure you are not depriving yourself of water if you don't eat your body will use what ever it has to maintain the muscle you are using and hold onto everything. think in smaller scale Swimmer Michael Phelps and his 4000+ calorie diet- why? because he burns it all. and NEEDS to fuel his muscles. you should never go to far below your Resting Metabolic Rate. (what your body needs if you lay in bed all day long- what it needs to sustain your vital organs)

if you exercise and you get dizzy- headache- feel tired (not just i had a good work out tired ) but tired with no energy- your body does not have enough fuel. play around a little with your calorie intake- make sure you eat more on the day's you exercise and less on the day's you don't- listen to your body it will eventually start talking in a language you understand.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread - I just upped my calories from 1300 to 1600 last week when I started running (before that I wasn't really exercising much) Now I'm wondering if I should increase them more. Should it be done gradually? I am one of those people that is scared to death to eat more. I have never had issues with hunger on 1300 calories a day because I eat good food and I break it down into a lot of little meals, but since starting my exercise program I am finding myself hungry a lot. HELP
    if you find yourself hungry- EAT it's your body asking for fuel.... as long as you make sure you are not depriving yourself of water if you don't eat your body will use what ever it has to maintain the muscle you are using and hold onto everything. think in smaller scale Swimmer Michael Phelps and his 4000+ calorie diet- why? because he burns it all. and NEEDS to fuel his muscles. you should never go to far below your Resting Metabolic Rate. (what your body needs if you lay in bed all day long- what it needs to sustain your vital organs)

if you exercise and you get dizzy- headache- feel tired (not just i had a good work out tired ) but tired with no energy- your body does not have enough fuel. play around a little with your calorie intake- make sure you eat more on the day's you exercise and less on the day's you don't- listen to your body it will eventually start talking in a language you understand.

Thanks - I'm at 1600 calories now - plus my exercise calories, I'll give it a couple weeks and see if that increases my energy level. I figure that gradually is probably better, I don't think I want to shock my system - or do I? This is all so confusing. I do get plenty of water - I've never had issues on that score. I'm so afraid to increase my calories too much because I don't want to stop my progress. I have a lot of trouble finding high calorie items that are good for me. I have to stay away from peanut butter because it's dangerous for me. Once I start I can't stop - lol. I have tried to increase my almonds and oils, but I still have a hard time getting in so many calories (especially when I eat back the exercise calories)
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Thanks - I'm at 1600 calories now - plus my exercise calories, I'll give it a couple weeks and see if that increases my energy level. I figure that gradually is probably better, I don't think I want to shock my system - or do I? This is all so confusing. I do get plenty of water - I've never had issues on that score. I'm so afraid to increase my calories too much because I don't want to stop my progress. I have a lot of trouble finding high calorie items that are good for me. I have to stay away from peanut butter because it's dangerous for me. Once I start I can't stop - lol. I have tried to increase my almonds and oils, but I still have a hard time getting in so many calories (especially when I eat back the exercise calories)
    I've been doing this for about a week. I used to eat all I wanted and didn't gain any weight (probably 2500-3000 calories) as a distance runner in high school. I cut calories in college because i could, not because I needed to lose. I lost a drastic amount of weight and became almost anorexic, but my body got used to the cut and put the weight back on.

I'm just now repairing the damage done to my body and metabolism by years of having an eating disorder and exercising with it. I'd like to weigh a few pounds less as well, but I'm small for my weight. (5'5' 135, size 2-4)

I increased mine slowly this week and am now at about 2100 (gross, not net which some here would say is still low) where I think I'll stay for a while. Try eating unsalted mixed nuts OR if peanut butter is an issue what about those individual cups of PB? They make it in single servings. Or pretzels, healthy popcorn or a couple squares of chocolate are great calorie builders. (yay chocolate!!)
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hk2008
    hk2008 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Tag for later :smile:
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing this for a couple days and I already feel like I have more energy for my workouts and so far not weight gain. I expected some weight gain right away.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing this for a couple days and I already feel like I have more energy for my workouts and so far not weight gain. I expected some weight gain right away.

YAY!! Great to hear you're already feeling better!
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • purplesparklies
    purplesparklies Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would love to eat more cals. but I do have a question. Here's some background info:

-36 years old
    -5'2"

I started MFP 9.5 weeks ago and have currently lost 23.8 lbs. I Zumba 5 x's/week and burn approx. 400 cals. each time per my Polar FT4. I have MFP set at a loss of 2 lbs./week. Recommended cals. is 1240. Here's a few quirky details that make me concerned about upping my cals.

-I am hypo-thyroid, currently working toward correcting this but it is a process to find correct med dosage. Dr. says we aren't close yet but have to increase slowly due to possible complications.

-I have PCOS.

-I am desperate to lose as quickly as is safe and sustainable because I also was recently diagnosed with pseudo-tumor cerebri which causes blurred vision. Weight loss should help. The longer it persists, the less likely it is that my vision will return to normal. This has been a terrifying eye-opener, health-wise. While obviously very overweight, I have always stayed active with my kids and have never had high blood pressure or the usual issues. Pseudo-tumor cerebri is an increase in intra-cranial pressure resulting in swelling around the optic nerve, thus causing vision issues. No one can tell me what causes it but it tends to happen to women of child-bearing age who are over-weight. There is no "cure" but weight loss can alleviate the pressure.

All things considered, my goal is to do all I can to maintain current rate of loss, ideally atleast until I drop below 200. I have had loss every week. Lowest was last week at .8 lbs. I am really not struggling much with 1240 cals. Last week I had some moments when it was particularly difficult but that was really the first time I really had to force myself to stay on track. I eat back 1/3 - 1/2 of my workout cals. I try to have a spike day every Wed. And Sat. as I read somewhere that it helps. Also helps me feel satisfied. On those days, I eat over by approx. 400 cals.

So, sorry for the length but I am desperate to do this the best way possible. I'd love to eat more but I am happy with my success this far and don't want to get off-track. My husband tels me to quit reading and keep doing what I'm doing because it is working. Just don't want to create long-term issues for myself! Worried that my extenuating circumstances cause my needs to be different. Does anyone have any advice for me? I want to thank-you in advance for any guidance you can offer.
  • caseydimples
    caseydimples Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bump
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Wow, purplesparkli, you do have some health issues to deal with and I'm sorry you're having to go through this. Particularly the issue related to your sight.

I'm no expert on this as I, too, am still learning but I think you have enough weight to lose where more rapid weight loss for awhile isn't going to be as harmful to you as it would be for someone who is much closer to their goal. I've read that those with 75+ pounds to lose can safely lose 2# per week. While you're weight loss to-date is a bit more than that, I think your sight issue takes precedence over the other issues (metabolism, etc.) at this time. If it were me, I'd sure be more worried about my sight than my metabolism, that's for sure.

If I were you, since what you're doing is working well for you, I'd keep it up until you alleviate that pressure around the optic nerve. And I sure hope weight loss is successful in doing that for you.

Once you have tackled that issue, then I would reassess your calorie intake and consider raising your calories slowly. Of course, your PCOS and thyroid issues might also make this more complicated for you.

The general wisdom I've read many times here at MFP that makes sense to me is that someone with 50-75# to lose should strive for a 1.5#/week loss, from 25-50# a 1#/week loss, and then 25# or less for a 0.5#/week loss. At your height, your definitely safely in the margins to lose quicker and, hopefully, your sight issue has been addressed before you get to where you should be upping your calories for slower weight loss anyway. So, it's at that time that I would, if I were you, start upping your net goal and eating exercise calories.

Best wishes. I sincerely hope your weight loss does the trick to help with your sight issue.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I am eatign between 1600-1800 right now, feel free to add me if u want :)
  • KJLIII
    KJLIII Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump !
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread!
    Eating more worked for me, physically and mentally (no way I can eat like a bird!). I'm 5'4" and reached 125 with around 21% body fat eating all my exercise back. My net food intake has been around 1900, making sure I eat lots of veggies, proteins and mostly "clean food".
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Greetings Pals!

I posted this in another thread and I hope you don't mind me jumping in, but I need all the opinions I can get - LOL!! THIS sounds like something I can do :) Despite my efforts, I have been stuck at my current weight for... YEARS! I've always been upset that no matter what I've done nothing has worked (except eating more of course!). From what I've read I think I've killed my metabolism and my body is holding on to all its got.

Age - 39
    Height - 5'5"
    CW - 145
    GW - 130-135 (half pound loss per week)
    BMR - 1408
    Activity Level - Moderately Active?

I have a desk job but workout 1 hour/day 6 days/week burning 350-400 calories. I am doing a mixture of Jillian's No More Trouble Zones & Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and treadmill jogging. I think this makes me moderately active?

Should my calorie goal be:

1) 1408 (BMR) + 350/400 (exercise calories) = 1758-1808 GROSS

2) 1408 (BMR) x 1.55 (mod active) = 2182; 2182-250 = 1932 GROSS

3) 1408 (BMR) x 1.2 (sedentary) = 1690; 1690-250 = 1440 NET

If I go with #2 I'm not sure if I'm using the correct activity multiplier and may be overestimating. Would it just be easier to go with #1 OR #3? Or any other GROSS/NET calorie suggestions based on my stats?

On a positive note, I must add that I have STOPPED WEIGHING MYSELF and took measurements. I have seen some loss in inches :) Thanks to all for reading this and any suggestions. I hope to be more active in this community and let you know how this goes!

Jen
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Greetings Pals!

I posted this in another thread and I hope you don't mind me jumping in, but I need all the opinions I can get - LOL!! THIS sounds like something I can do :) Despite my efforts, I have been stuck at my current weight for... YEARS! I've always been upset that no matter what I've done nothing has worked (except eating more of course!). From what I've read I think I've killed my metabolism and my body is holding on to all its got.

Age - 39
    Height - 5'5"
    CW - 145
    GW - 130-135 (half pound loss per week)
    BMR - 1408
    Activity Level - Moderately Active?

I have a desk job but workout 1 hour/day 6 days/week burning 350-400 calories. I am doing a mixture of Jillian's No More Trouble Zones & Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and treadmill jogging. I think this makes me moderately active?

Should my calorie goal be:

1) 1408 (BMR) + 350/400 (exercise calories) = 1758-1808 GROSS

2) 1408 (BMR) x 1.55 (mod active) = 2182; 2182-250 = 1932 GROSS

3) 1408 (BMR) x 1.2 (sedentary) = 1690; 1690-250 = 1440 NET

If I go with #2 I'm not sure if I'm using the correct activity multiplier and may be overestimating. Would it just be easier to go with #1 OR #3? Or any other GROSS/NET calorie suggestions based on my stats?

On a positive note, I must add that I have STOPPED WEIGHING MYSELF and took measurements. I have seen some loss in inches :) Thanks to all for reading this and any suggestions. I hope to be more active in this community and let you know how this goes!

Jen

you could always set your settings to sedentary, and then just add your exercise calories in after. then your new net will appear. the 1.55 is the right multiplier for mod. active and with doing the hour / day 3-5 (for you 6) days you for sure hit that catagory. i would personally go with 3 since thats your main lifestyle. then add the workout calories in, and eat enough back to create that 250 deficit. (i know what you mean with shot metabolism though! i was eating 900 calories a day, & not hungry due to lack of food) for me mine is 1324 bmr x 1.2 for nothing = 1580 <-just actually started hitting that and now im hungry all the time!

since i run sprints about 3 miles + lift weights about 6 days a week i should be really hitting the 1324 * 1.55 = 2000 ish per day just to maintain!?! crazyy numbers. 1830 is minimum if i was "lightly active"
    weirds me out how many calories we need even if trying to say lose weight!

hope that advice helps you :D
    but also you could always switch your method if you find that option doesnt work but i think its the best choice.
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Why thank you Taryn!

So if I make myself sedentary and eat back exercise calories, that gives me around 2000! 1408 BMR x 1.2(sedentary) = 1689; 1689 (net) +350 (ex cals) = 2039.
    This comes out the same way as making myself moderately active 1408 x 1.55 = 1932 (gross).

Regardless, every way I look at it and everywhere I've read I should eat 1900-2000 (before exercise)! Woo-hoo! I like-y :)

... will report back with results.
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    sounds like a good game plan! i think itll work out well :D:D
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    bump
  • purplesparklies
    purplesparklies Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, funkycamper! I appreciate it and I think I will do exactly that. Hopefully I can blast through a lot of this quickly and then make the needed adjustments.

Thanks so much!