Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Options

Replies

• Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am a cardio bunny and I like boozing at weekends so I generally stay at 1,200 - 1,400 net during mon to fri to make sure I maintain a deficit without having to restrain myself too much at weekends. My calorie goal for the day can be between 2,000 -3,000 during the week xx
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This is a very interesting topic!. I struggle with going over the 1400 calories they recommend everyday. After reading these replies I think I might need to raise my daily goal and work harder at fueling myself. I just need to concentrate on good foods, and not junk food. I also need to get back to working out on a regular basis. Have really been slacking on the workouts. :-(
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Saving this for later!
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm under the advice of a Nutritionist and I'm eating 1900 cals a day, undertaking 4 gym classes a week and trying to eat as clean as I can!

How's everyone getting on? I couldn't survive on 1200 cals, not enough for me!!!

but if you are burning 500-600 calories on your workout days then you are only really eating 1300-1400 calories a day.....
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    marking
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    For those that feel like they aren't hungry...I was the same way. Start eating regularly and your body will ask for food. You don't need to up your cals all at once if you feel like it's too much. Up by 100 cals at a time until you get up to your goal. Also, eating nuts is a good way to up your cals and get in some healthy fats. Before I started using MFP I never ate breakfast and usually snacked on quick, unhealthy foods for the rest of the day. Now if I skipped breakfast, you'd want to stay far away from me. :laugh:
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    So, one week after increasing my calories and I have a slight gain - which I'm working hard not to freak out about. The best news is I had the most intense workout this AM I've had in a long, long time (burned 1000+ calories) and I felt strong and amazing the whole time! I'll take that over weight loss any day.
  • slporter3
    slporter3 Posts: 20
    Options
    Bump
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    So, one week after increasing my calories and I have a slight gain - which I'm working hard not to freak out about. The best news is I had the most intense workout this AM I've had in a long, long time (burned 1000+ calories) and I felt strong and amazing the whole time! I'll take that over weight loss any day.

THAT is what it is all about.... the gain will go away/even out :wink:
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    any words of advice, im a personal trainer yet for me consuming the calories is a big number thing. i always tell my clients do as i say not as i do for i know my eating is not where it should be.
    im 5'5 and only 107 i run a lot but know i need a higher food intake.

any words of advice, feel free to add me as well.
    realistically i need to at least gain 5 pounds.

:[
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    LOL I love this thread. Thank you Jesus. I am quite small (4'11", less than 110 pounds) and some folks think that we petite women don't even need 1200 calories a day. But, it really is dependent on your own calorie needs and activity level.

Right now I'm maintaining, more focused on losing fat than moving numbers on a scale. Before MFP and the internet I used to track a food journal by hand, and I know very well I ate more than 1800 calories a day. But, I lost a ton of inches, a bunch of weight, and was really toned because I was really active. I've managed to stay active, but I had a bad love affair with alcohol, which has always impaired my judgment, caused me to eat more than I needed, and just provided empty calories. So I decided to use MFP to track all this and most importantly fuel myself correctly (with the right amount of calories and nutrients I need).

I run about 40 miles per week, circuit train twice a week, and strength train once a week as well. I am always training for some kind of long distance race. I just finished a marathon and PR'd by quite a bit, and I have to admit that fueling RIGHT was one of the major contributing factors. I remember when I injured myself last year and couldn't run for 3 months :-( so I ate a lot less (sometimes less than 800 calories a day). Yes, I did lose weight, but when I started running again, I upped my calories and my metabolism was so shot from eating so little that I gained weight back quickly. Of course it stabilized after I got back into my old routine.

Back to the most recent training cycle, I actually did not gain weight this time, lost 3 pounds since my last race, but most importantly can feel the difference in my clothes and my body. I feel tighter, stronger, and healthier. I've been experimenting with the calorie intake and I feel like the 1300 calories + marathon training + other activities just wasn't cutting it. I don't know if I'll bump my calories down to that again.

I guess there are people who can live off of such a low amount of calories their whole lives, and to each his/her own. Different people have different calorie needs. If someone is sedentary and is more motivated by numbers on a scale vs. fat loss and having lean muscle mass, then an 1800 calorie a day intake is definitely not for them.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, so if you want to see what I'm eating, go ahead. I do not eat meat.
    I have set my target caloric intake at various levels, from 1975, to 1475, now around 1800. I was consistently losing weight at the 1800-1900 mark. I had lost around 30 pounds then. When I got to under 1500, I was NOT eating enough. Not even close. I had to work out twice as hard just to eat a normal day's worth of food and my weight became deadlocked and it was very discouraging. Then I gained all the weight back. Now I'm in the 1800 range of target caloric intake and it seems to be working well again.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, you all are so awesome :)
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    bump
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am getting confused. MFP has me set at 1450 cals. I'm 5ft 6", 189 pounds, sedentary job and exercise 3-4 times a week. I usually do Jilian Micheals 30 day shred or Chalean Extreme videos. I eat my exercise cals back.

So am I not eating enough?? Why does MFP only give me 1450, if I should be eating more?
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread - I just upped my calories from 1300 to 1600 last week when I started running (before that I wasn't really exercising much) Now I'm wondering if I should increase them more. Should it be done gradually? I am one of those people that is scared to death to eat more. I have never had issues with hunger on 1300 calories a day because I eat good food and I break it down into a lot of little meals, but since starting my exercise program I am finding myself hungry a lot. HELP
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I have been coming on here every day or two to read the latest posts and have posted 2 times. I upped my calories recently just before finding this. I inched them up a bit more since. I have already seen a loss of 2.2 pounds and yes my calories went up this weekend not because I am yoyoing as I was before upping but because I was celebrating my birthday. I am finding that I am able to do what I couldn't before, change my lifestyle. I find I don't want the junk as much now that I can actually fit it in if I want. I eat when I am hungry or even if I feel there is something I am missing that day nutritionwise. Yes still too soon to tell but it just feels right already. Here are my stats in case they help anyone. 5'6", I am just today 59 years old. My high this year was 232 (before upping calories) and I am at 227.8 lbs this morning. I like to exercise at least an hour a day 6 days a week. I weight train, run, walk ,do cardio machines, and aquafit. I like Zumba but haven't had much time for it lately. I do some interval training. Before I decided to up my calories I estimated my TDEE, my BMR, my waist-hip ratio and my bodyfat %. I found out that my body fat %age is actually in the acceptable range typical of women in the US. Not really that healthy but considering my BMI not bad at all. I realize that when I set my goal the first time on MFP and wasn't losing it was because I had already been exercising alot and 1540 was too low. Instead I lowered them. Everytime I upped my exercise I would stall out even though I ate back my exercise caloreis or as many as I needed to not feel hungry. Thank goodness I was in school at the time and had finals weeks where I would up my calories and exercise less or I would not have lost at all I think not to mention what I was doing to my metabolism which was probably better than I realized when I first started. Go to one of the sites mentioned. For those with questions as to how to eat more. Figure out your BMR and eat above it. 1.2 or whatever works. you can up it slowly. If you aren't exercising maybe lower and if you are then more than 1.2 higher. I am letting MFP figure my exercise calories for me. I have my calories set at 1700 net now which is just above my BMR of about 1686 or more depending on whether you consider bodyfat% or not. I eat back some or most of my exercise calories for now depending on hunger levels. I know that estimating calories and exercise is just that estimates so I tend to leave a little for estimation error. I will let you know if I continue to lose. I will consider whether my setting is high enough later. I need to try this for awhile.
  • fitmommy02
    fitmommy02 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump