The Hunger Games

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
Perhaps I am a prude... But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids. It makes me sick every time I see the preview. My best friend insists it's AMAZING and I need to see it with her when it comes out... but no way. Unless all the kid's revolt against the Capitol or something and they all live happily ever after, I'm OK without seeing it :ohwell:

Am I the only one that finds it all so odd? Then again, I threw up after Lord of the Rings *LOL* So... there's your perspective :)

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    *backs out slowly*
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    **shuts eyes and ears** I just started the book so far I love it......but I don't want any spoilers so gonna leave the thread now.......
  • odusgolp
    Options
    *backs out slowly*

*LOL* Sorry Q ;-)
  • LadyBuell
    Options
    But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids.

And it was required reading for my son in his 9th grade Pre-AP English class.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I hate spoilers. I'll just recommend reading the entire trilogy. hint hint
  • Poetic_
    Poetic_ Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Never read the books, but looking forward to the movie. Looks interesting.

But one of my favorite movies is Battle Royale. /shrug
  • odusgolp
    Options
    But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids.

And it was required reading for my son in his 9th grade Pre-AP English class.

But, Catcher in the Rye is banned? *LOL*
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My question is how do you judge something you haven't actually read?

:huh:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I totally have this book on hold at the library. Almost finished with Pillars of the Earth which I totally enjoy. I might switch to World Without End though so I don't completely forget the plot of the PotE book. Loving it so far!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    My question is how do you judge something you haven't actually read?

:huh:

I just did! See? It's easy to judge anything I want *LOL* I'm not saying it's a horrible series or bad movie and it should be banned immediately! :) I'm saying I don't get the concept or how it managed to become so popular... but i have a week stomach.

Well, I don't get Twilight either....
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Don't want to spoil it for anyone but it is more than just about kids killing other children. That's really only one part of the storyline in the first book. The second and third books have nothing to do with that, really.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Don't want to spoil it for anyone but it is more than just about kids killing other children. That's really only one part of the storyline in the first book. The second and third books have nothing to do with that, really.

That's encouraging ;) I needed to hear that. I'd be so much more down with this if it was adults... cause that's just good killing fun :wink:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    You kind of have the read the books to understand that part of it. Sure it's kids killing kids, but it's not their choice, it's part of a larger thing. Give them a try!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I am on the waiting list at the library to read the books, so is my daugther. They look really good to me.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Yes, it would be easier if it were adults doing it but less poignant. The children are only entered from ages 12 to 18 and most of them are entered because they are trying to feed their families in these poor starving districts. It's actually a really good series and I highly recommend it.
  • tina9988
    tina9988 Posts: 369
    Options
    I don't get twilight either. A bloodless vampire movie?
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I just finished book one...totally addicting...
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I don't get twilight either. A bloodless vampire movie?

it's the sparkle... they lost me at sparkle... *LOL*
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    It's a modern "Lord of the Flies". :drinker:

With apologies to real readers. :laugh:
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    From Wikipedia:

"A dystopia (from Ancient Greek: δυσ-, "bad, hard",[1] and Ancient Greek: τόπος, "place, landscape";[2] alternatively cacotopia,[3][4] or anti-utopia) is the idea of a society in a repressive and controlled state, often under the guise of being utopian, as characterized in books like Brave New World, Nineteen Eighty-Four, The Iron Heel ("the earliest of the modern Dystopian")[5]. Dystopian societies feature different kinds of repressive social control systems, various forms of active and passive coercion. Ideas and works about dystopian societies often explore the concept of humans abusing technology and humans individually and collectively coping, or not being able to properly cope with technology that has progressed far more rapidly than humanity's spiritual evolution. Dystopian societies are often imagined as police states, with unlimited power over the citizens."

It's not a horror story where the author wants to go for the cheap thrill of reading about someone getting hurt or dying.

That said, I couldn't get into the first book, either. I may try it again, though, because I started reading it when I was sick and had other things on my mind. In general, I really like the idea for the plot and think of it as a "theory". Sort of "what if our world turned into this?" I don't see anything wrong with that, even with the violence. It's just fiction.