The Hunger Games

Options

Replies

• Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I just used to be against twilight until i ended up reading the books and they were so addictive. I might read these too just to see whether or not they are as crappy as the movie sounds :D The Twilight movies suck by the way. But the books are plain awesomeness.

I'm still against Twilight on the principle that Stephanie Meyer is a lousy writer. The content doesn't bother me. :-)

Word!
  • MrsNelson0904
    MrsNelson0904 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVED the books and I can't wait for the movie!!!
  • goobear3
    Options
    Totally LOVED the books!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I just read the trilogy with my daughter and it's not JUST about kids killing kids. The series, I thought, was amazing. I would highly recommend reading the books before you judge them.
  • ejanderson
    Options
    SEMI-SPOILER ALERT

It's definitely less about the killing and all about conquering the dystopian society. When you say "it's about 24 teenagers going into an arena and one coming out", yeah, it sounds TOTALLY DISTASTEFUL. But, in the first and second books the "killing" part of things is very well written, not gory (ok, except for one person...but even that is done in a better way than it would be by most other authors) and definitely not in a glorifying way. It's a necessary evil to get your emotions to point that the characters in the book are so that you can appreciate the journey and the outcome. That said, The Hunger Games had me begging for the next book. Catching Fire, had me happy that there was a book 3 so that the story could wrap up. Mocking Jay had me glad I finished the trilogy but also somewhat wishing there was only The Hunger Games. Like maybe I'd be happiest just imagining what came next. It all wrapped up pretty much like I figured it would, but with each book the depth of the characters seemed to shallow a bit and the quality of the writing decreased. In short, I wouldn't not read the entire trilogy, but don't expect more from Books 2 & 3 than from Book 1 or you will be disappointed.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    To be honest, at first I never thought I'd read them. I got bored, the book was cheap one day on my kindle, and a day and a half later Id read all three lol! It's definitely addicting. But back to your point/question...that's part of what makes the book so poignant. It wouldn't be as powerful if it was adults killing adults. There's a pretty direct message if you read through the book, and let me tell you its DEFINITELY not "hey lets round up our kids and let them kill each other!!" Also, you might want to read all three books lol, not to spoil anything..
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    this book is written in first person.. its annoying to read first person.. no idea why people think this is a great work of literature...
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Just read them...they really are good! I promise!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    1328770747609_8526924.png

haha seriously. Although I'd like to think I'd be able to out smart my way into living a little while!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    It is more than just about kids killing kids.

Loved loved loved the book and I can't wait for the movie. I get chills when I see the previews.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    1328770747609_8526924.png

haha seriously. Although I'd like to think I'd be able to out smart my way into living a little while!

Great quote! hahaha Love it.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    And that's exactly why you can't judge something you have not read! The books are not "based" on kids killing kids. So happy there are millions of books out there so you don't have to read what you don't want to! I'm LOVING The Hunger Games (on the 2nd now), but I tried and tried, and was NOT a fan of the Twilight Series. To each his own! And Happy Reading to all.
  • marylosesweight
    Options
    You have to read the books before/after watching the movie, it's a MUST! The books are amazing, and it dosen't matter how amazing the movie will be, it will not be better than the books.
    Read them! <3
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    When I read the synopsis, I was not interested in reading it at all. I ran out of books to read on a long trip and ended up reading all 3. I've enjoyed them thoroughly.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    youre not a prude, you just dont get deep concepts.
    its obviously a statement piece on government and the fact that they are forced to kill each other just to show how powerful the govt is,

and in the endd
    ... well

no spoilers, right?
  • whitneysaenz
    whitneysaenz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Read all three.... you'll be surprised and realize why she wants you to see it!
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You need to read a book before you can pass judgements. If every author wrote in a way where they avoided touchy issues the literary world would be a very boring place indeed!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I hath been convinced :)

Dips**** you're fun :bigsmile:
  • j_emerson
    Options
    haha I read all three books within a week. They are absolutely awesome! Your prediction makes me giggle! :laugh:

Same here...I couldn't get them downloaded to my Kindle fast enough as I finished each one. Can't wait for the movies!!
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's an awesome *kitten* book and I can't wait for the movie.