The Hunger Games

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    :blushing: thanks Kristy :) I'm not entirely sure how we aren't friends yet *LOL*
  • akgrown
    Options
    I absolutely LOVED these books. I had the same thought while reading them...kinda dark with the whole kids killing kids thing...but it is fiction, and that's the beauty of fiction. Being that it's just a story, I think it's safe to say your reading-age kids won't be permanently damaged from it. While telling my friend about it, I did hesitate before suggesting it for her 10 year old daughter. However, after she read the books she let her daughter read them and her daughter loved the stories! Yes, I think there should be an age limit on these books - the age where children can't tell the difference from reality and fiction should be a good cut off. But older children, adolescents, young adults, and older adults should definitely give this story a chance. If you're still against it, no worries, I don't like my theaters crowded anyways : )

2265953.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I absolutely LOVED these books. I had the same thought while reading them...kinda dark with the whole kids killing kids thing...but it is fiction, and that's the beauty of fiction. Being that it's just a story, I think it's safe to say your reading-age kids won't be permanently damaged from it. While telling my friend about it, I did hesitate before suggesting it for her 10 year old daughter. However, after she read the books she let her daughter read them and her daughter loved the stories! Yes, I think there should be an age limit on these books - the age where children can't tell the difference from reality and fiction should be a good cut off. But older children, adolescents, young adults, and older adults should definitely give this story a chance. If you're still against it, no worries, I don't like my theaters crowded anyways : )

Maybe that's the problem all together. I don't separate fiction from reality well sometimes! A fictional movie can totally keep me up at night scared about the monsters in the closet. Pathetic... I realize this ;-)

But seriously, how it's been explained by people here I'm going to give it a try at least!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's a good series, but it's about kids killing kids. If the concept itself upsets you so much, you probably won't enjoy it. If they'd done all the deaths right, this movie could have been rated R.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    opinions such as this should be kept to yourself. my theory is why bother posting it. obviously everyone is different and you'll get negative and positive comments. whether you like the book/movie or not is fine either way. i actually like it and I'm a good person, but it doesn't make me a bad person for liking something like this. it's called entertainment

I know, the OP is such a tool. We should stone her.

Like in the Lottery... good book.

Seriously, don't jump off a cliff. No one called you a bad person *LOL*

Agreed! That OP is so stoopid lol :laugh:

Dumb OP, she should totally know that only SOME people are entitled to an opinion . . . geesh!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    opinions such as this should be kept to yourself. my theory is why bother posting it. obviously everyone is different and you'll get negative and positive comments. whether you like the book/movie or not is fine either way. i actually like it and I'm a good person, but it doesn't make me a bad person for liking something like this. it's called entertainment

Dumb OP, she should totally know that only SOME people are entitled to an opinion . . . geesh!

Sweets, please pull my hair when you scold me... you know that's how I like it.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

hahahahahaha
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Sweets, please pull my hair when you scold me... you know that's how I like it.

check, "reigns" in one hand and paddle in the other.
  • coke281
    Options
    LOVEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD HUNGER GAMES!! I FINISHED ALL 3 BOOKS IN LESS THAN A WEEK I CANT WAIT TILL THE MOVIE COMES OUT!!!!!:sad: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • 1234567kate9
    Options
    its an amazing series! seriously, i CANT explain why its so good, its just something you need to read. NOW preferably ;)
    You'll see what i mean
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I couldnt stand the book. Only because its almost an EXACT copy of Battle Royale who did it much much better and was much more graphic, the way a story like this should be. Book 2 was awesome, Suzanne Collins just cant write action, but can write tense dialogue and emotion. Which is why the last 3rd of Book 2 worked better than tje first book.

Then there's book 3 and while the ending was fantastic, it didnt make up for the rest of the book. In the hands of an author who could write action that didnt make you want to fall asleep it could have been better.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I couldnt stand the book. Only because its almost an EXACT copy of Battle Royale who did it much much better and was much more graphic, the way a story like this should be. Book 2 was awesome, Suzanne Collins just cant write action, but can write tense dialogue and emotion. Which is why the last 3rd of Book 2 worked better than tje first book.

Then there's book 3 and while the ending was fantastic, it didnt make up for the rest of the book. In the hands of an author who could write action that didnt make you want to fall asleep it could have been better.

It has, however, been determined that I need the YOUNG adult (aka. Hunger Games) version of Battle Royale... as that's too much for my adult self to handle *LOL*

However, several men that have posted adamantly agree with you on this...
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Don't want to spoil it for anyone but it is more than just about kids killing other children. That's really only one part of the storyline in the first book. The second and third books have nothing to do with that, really.

this^^^ it is a much deeper book than that.. i guess some dont think much when they read. i for one LOVED them and know its one of those books the movie just wont hold up to.. although i will still go see it! :-) read all 3 books in 3 days at work
  • samhelen
    Options
    Perhaps I am a prude... But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids. It makes me sick every time I see the preview. My best friend insists it's AMAZING and I need to see it with her when it comes out... but no way. Unless all the kid's revolt against the Capitol or something and they all live happily ever after, I'm OK without seeing it :ohwell:

Am I the only one that finds it all so odd? Then again, I threw up after Lord of the Rings *LOL* So... there's your perspective :)

***SPOILER ALERT!!!!***** Something you suggested might actually happen...
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I totally have this book on hold at the library. Almost finished with Pillars of the Earth which I totally enjoy. I might switch to World Without End though so I don't completely forget the plot of the PotE book. Loving it so far!

Pillars of the Earth is one of my FAVORITE books! The mini-series, not so good. You can take time between the 2. The World Without End takes place in the same town but Isn't a direct sequel. It is very good also.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    hmmm its just a book so i am not offended by it. But surely I wont have my 9 year old reading it...not appropriate for children.
  • samhelen
    Options
    Don't want to spoil it for anyone but it is more than just about kids killing other children. That's really only one part of the storyline in the first book. The second and third books have nothing to do with that, really.

this^^^ it is a much deeper book than that.. i guess some dont think much when they read. i for one LOVED them and know its one of those books the movie just wont hold up to.. although i will still go see it! :-) read all 3 books in 3 days at work

It is a much deeper book than that -- the underlying subtext of the entire trilogy is super heavy stuff when you really start thinking about it -- really an entire series that embodies what happens when one reluctantly steps into their owner power and decides that instead of waiting for the world to change, they will be the change that the world needs -- not unlike what many of us on MFP hve decided to do in our own lived, just not in a dystopic, post-apocolyptic sorta way :bigsmile:
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    The Hunger Games is "based on kids killing kids" like Fahrenheit 451 is all for burning books.
    and the giver is basically robotic people that kill their elders when they are of no use anymore.. lol on the surface at least.. some people will always try to ban good books that get you thinking (like hunger games, fahrenheit 451 and the giver etc) i will fight to keep these books in schools and out there. they are good reads, isnt that the point of a book?! to get you thinking?!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

Im going to disagree. I think the movie will be better because Suzanne Collins isnt a very good author. I think the movie will make up gor her inadequate action writing, which is a majority of the first book. Catching Fire is better suited for a book in my opinion.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I unexpectedly really liked the books. It was really though provoking I thought, and I think it is great for kids to read. It is a great way to really think about how society works, inequality and cooperation. I am really excited about the movie, and I initially wrote it off as a teeny bopper book. 800000X better than Twilight in terms of sending a message to girls about gender roles.