The Hunger Games

Options

Replies

• ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    I've already seen The Hunger Games..it was a japanese movie called Battle Royale.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    The Hunger Games is "based on kids killing kids" like Fahrenheit 451 is all for burning books.

:drinker:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm just waiting for everyone to finish the 3rd book and see what kind of posts there are about that! I read some reviews for Mockingjay and people were so pissed! For those one their way to Mockingjay, do not expect a fairytale! My experience in reading it was an emotional rollercoaster! Haha. It is a dark and REALISTIC depiction of what happens to the people involved in a war. You will love it!

OMG I know!! I felt emotionally exhausted by the end of the last book!!
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's weird. I read all three books. I really liked one, two and most of three. Worst ending I've ever read to a series though.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    7 new members have joined just this week!!! Come check out the new FB Group: Lite in Calories... Light in Cash!!! Eating right on a budget!! Join in discussions.. add your fav recipe or tip!

Copy & past the following link in your browser to join:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/108900569237176/119596744834225/?notif_t=group_activity

WTF *LOL*
  • prettylyzard
    prettylyzard Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids.

And it was required reading for my son in his 9th grade Pre-AP English class.

So is Lord of the Flies, a classic! It's a comment on society...I haven't read it, but I heard its fabulous and I'm waiting for it from the Library! Remember, you can't judge a book by its cover!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    :ohwell:
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids.

Do kids still have to read Lord of the Flies? Unsavory little hellions in there, too! ;) I read The Hunger Games trilogy and really enjoyed it - it's a great series and I love having such a strong female leading character!

My 8th grade son is now reading Lord of the Flies. He read Hunger Games 2 years ago and lent them to me. Awesome books. I was thrilled that he read it. There are great moral lessons to be learned like questioning authority. LOL Yes there are definite ugly moments but they are not gratuitous. Ms Collins is a fabulous story teller.

However, these concepts are easier to digest when reading than seeing them visually. At least for me. The Trilogy of the Ring books are incredible and the modern standard for fantasy stories. The movies, while wonderful, could not compare witht the books.

As to Twilight. Poor writing plus bad plot equals icky movies.
  • cats666
    Options
    It's amazing! I read it a couple of years ago even before it was popular. Honestly, it's not even that gory. It's inspirational, how all these kids are DEFYING someone telling them to kill someone else.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    My question is how do you judge something you haven't actually read?

:huh:

this. and I'm not going to provide spoilers but this is an instance of you can't judge a book by it's cover and sometimes not even by it's short description.

There's at least half a dozen posts addressing this you could read....
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    7 new members have joined just this week!!! Come check out the new FB Group: Lite in Calories... Light in Cash!!! Eating right on a budget!! Join in discussions.. add your fav recipe or tip!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/108900569237176/119596744834225/?notif_t=group_activity

Dude, don't spam us here. Seriously. Man, that's annoying. :explode:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options

Dude, don't spam us here. Seriously. Man, that's annoying. :explode:
    Seriously...way to make me not want to join your group.
  • alawson02
    Options
    The books are AWESOME. You should give them a try :)
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Its no worse than other books out there. I loved the series and can't wait for the movie!! I have them on my Nook and they are Lend Me books so you can borrow them for free instead of paying nearly $8 per book. :)
    I'm just waiting for everyone to finish the 3rd book and see what kind of posts there are about that! I read some reviews for Mockingjay and people were so pissed! For those one their way to Mockingjay, do not expect a fairytale! My experience in reading it was an emotional rollercoaster! Haha. It is a dark and REALISTIC depiction of what happens to the people involved in a war. You will love it!
    It is pretty gritty and dark. I hated parts of it and loved other parts. She wound up with who I wanted her to be with, but not much fanfare to it. I heard they were planning on 4 movies, cause they wanna split The Mockingjay into two movies.

I was wondering about that. I see no possible way they could make Mockingjay one movie unless it was 5 hours long. And if they try to fluff it up at all I will be pissed! LOL
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options

this. and I'm not going to provide spoilers but this is an instance of you can't judge a book by it's cover and sometimes not even by it's short description.

sorry I didn't feel like reading through 7 pages on the subject. Next time I won't bother you with replying at all. :flowerforyou: :ignorebutton:
  • odusgolp
    Options
    The books are AWESOME. You should give them a try :)

I am going to give it a whirl :) If only 3 people out of the hundred or so here weren't fans, it's certainly worth trying. I just needed insight onto level of gore, etc. I may not be able to stomach it, but that's just me. Law & Order SVU can push me over the edge, FFS *LOL*
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It's a good story about perseverance and strife, the underdog, etc.
  • jenvens
    jenvens Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....yeah...you just need to read at least the first book before you watch the movie...and just try to refrain from the 2nd and 3rd if at all possible...I doubt it though...you'll be hooked!

It's not as you portray it at all - yeah the ideals behind it sucks and it's sad, but it's all about survival-ism and it's not like Twlight (which I also love) because this could actually happen...

I'm not here to argue one point or another...if you can't handle watching it, or you can...it's an amazing trilogy! You should give it a try!
  • winonajosephine
    winonajosephine Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Excelent book! I'm reading Catching Fire now, I bought Hunger Games for my 5th Grader because it and its in his reading level and I picked it up while he was reading another book and didn't put it down until I finished it!! The next week I went out and bought the other two books... lol
  • odusgolp
    Options

sorry I didn't feel like reading through 7 pages on the subject. Next time I won't bother you with replying at all. :flowerforyou: :ignorebutton:

That's just pure irony right there... "Don't judge something you haven't read." :laugh: