have YOU LOST WEIGHT with eating carbs still?

Options

Replies

• Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating a pizza.
  • jsnearly
    Options
    Lost about 6 pounds at first. Started to gain weight again. Just switched to Atkins and restricing calories. Lost 6 pounds since friday.
  • mcusy
    mcusy Posts: 2
    Options
    I've found it's easy to lose weight without carbs, but it's not a permanent solution: i.e. I always gain it right back, so therefore, it's not a really good idea. Carbs in moderation are usually just fine.
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    yes..=)
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Complex Carbs are not bad...they are a source of energy. I start most days with a bowl of oatmeal. No on the other hand some people are a little sensitive to carbs. I'm one of them so I just limit them as my day goes on.

For example.

If I eat carbs after 4 pm they are complex and Vegetables, Whole Grain Rice or Sweet Potato. Never bread.
    I don't eat fruit after 2 pm unless I'm working out in the evening.
    That's about all I limit and it's what works for me. But carbs are NOT the enemy. We need them, we love them.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been losing by taking an all natural supplement called fat fighters after my biggest meal of the day. Its called fat fighters w carb inhibitors. Send me a msg for more info :)

Please don't peddle your snake oil here.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    I have lost 24 pounds in the last 2 months eating all the food groups. There are not any healthy foods that you need to eliminate, it's simply a matter of all the right foods in the right proportions. I think people suggest eliminating carbs due to the average North American diet being way to carb heavy. If you just make the majority of your diet green then you can eat all the different food groups without worry.
  • mattemery
    mattemery Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Before I watched macros I was typically eating about 50% carbs and losing steadily. I got down to my last 10 lbs and cut carbs because I read the same thing. Gained weight, spent a year trying to figure why I was gaining and trying different methods to lose again. Threw together some trend charts based on my weight and macros, saw the trend lines of carbs vs weight and upped my carbs to 40% for now and will probably increase again, and now I'm finally losing weight again.

This isn't to say that higher carb ratios work for everyone. It's more to point out that there is no one answer, you're just going to have to try and see what works for you, your body/lifestyle, and your journey. If you make a change like that, you may get positive or negative results, just be prepared for either and the further adjustments you may have to make from there.

Congrats on your loss so far and good luck in hitting your goal!

^^^^^^ This.

If what you are doing isn't working, and your calories are ok (not too high or low). tweak your macros, or up your exercise. Something. And stick with it a couple of weeks and track your progress. Low carbs (below about 60g a day) make me feel bad. Lower carbs might work for you. If they do great. If they don't... trying something else. Maybe calorie cycling... 2-3 days of higher calories and 2-3 days of reducing 200-300 extra.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been losing by taking an all natural supplement called fat fighters after my biggest meal of the day. Its called fat fighters w carb inhibitors. Send me a msg for more info :)
    14. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising

a) You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc.
    b) Requests or solicitations for donations are also not allowed. This includes requesting contributions to “pooled fund” competitions, requests for votes in any venue (online contests, etc.), and even requests for charitable contributions. As you can imagine, we have a lot of people who would like to raise money for worthy causes through the site. As much as we'd like to support these causes, if we were to allow requests for donations, the forums would quickly become full of such requests which would take away from the main purpose of the forums - to support one another.
    c) Posts or messages to members promoting websites that compete with MyFitnessPal are also prohibited.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    I notice that when I don't eat carbs I end up mindlessly eating a lot more through out the day. Since the carbs keep you full longer, I've had great results eating carbs in moderation.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds eating about 45-65% carbs even the last ten pounds. I ate fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains, and beans daily. There's no reason why you can't eat balanced meals with complex carbs and still lose weight. Cutting carbs makes it a lot easier to cut calories, though, if that makes it easier for you.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i ate carbs during the weight loss portion of my diet.
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i have and i usually go over :)
    me too!
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I try to stay within my carb goal or under. I still eat carbs but watch on the days I'm not working out. I am losing weight while eating it but I'll add that I was told that my body burns sugar before it burns fat very quickly so not sure if that is relevant to carbs not really having an effect. But, I'm losing just fine with the carb leve.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat starchy carbs I feel cranky, and nauseated and I am plagued with insatiable hunger. So making a lifestyle change with no carbs is not on my agenda.

I generally have some starch for 2 of 3 of my big meals.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I have noticed that the more whole grains I eat - especially whole grain cream of wheat, steel cut oats, qionoa, etc - the more satiated I am and the less cravings I have. I also eat lots of fruit and veggies. I am steadily dropping weight, feel great, and have no intention of cutting my carbs. I also watch my sodium intake, which I would recommend for everyone.

BTW, be careful with labels stating your bread is whole grain, they can be misleading. I have cut out most bread, choosing to cut out most refined flours, refined sugars and artificial fillers.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Yup. I lost every pound while still eating lots of carbs... good carbs, bad carbs, white carbs, brown carbs, sweet carbs... carbs carbs carbs! LOL
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Of course. Although it seems like EVERYBODY eats low carb, that's really not the case. I think there are just a few evangelical people who have the opinion that because it works for them that we should all be doing the same thing, so if makes it look like that's what everyone does.

I think you have to experiment to work out what suits your body and your lifestyle. There is no point choosing a really restrictive way of eating that you can't keep up for the long term - most of us have tried and failed at doing that. Some people report that lower carb eating works for them and that's OK, but it doesn't mean that everyone needs to do that.
    It's much better to work out how much food you need to eat to get (and stay) healthy and eat as much variety as you can, choosing mostly food that give you good nutrition over ones with minimal nutrition. But, keep in the treats that you enjoy now and again, that's part of life and you need to learn how to enjoy but not overindulge.

My personal opinion is that "low carb" is the current fad, we've worked out way through "low fat" already so I can only assume that sometime in the next 10 years we're going to be leaning towards "low protein". Once we've moved through the macronutrient groups.... well, who knows what will come next!

Edit: I'm off now to eat the second half of my 400 calorie bran muffin!!
  • coquette87
    Options
    I usually go over on my carbs. But they're good carbs. I don't do much in the way of refined sugar - mostly natural sugar from fruits and veggies and dairy. Small amounts of white rice or white pasta, but no white bread. Lots of fibre. But I'm losing steadily and I don't get hungry or deprived, so it's working for me!
  • D2244
    D2244 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost 17 lbs since mid January and I eat carbs. However, I get about 200 carbs a day and do try to be under...somewhere around 150 per day. It's working for me.