Down 12 pds!! South Beach Diet Rocks!!!

Options

Replies

• LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am posting because although I am not sure I am ready to do this yet, I want to be able to find all of you if I do. I already eat a very high protein low carb diet.

I did Atkins several years ago and lost 12 pounds rather quickly but then stopped. I continued with the plan for another 6 weeks but did not see any further weight loss. I then started counting calories with the program but still did not lose any more weight. After about 9 weeks of no weight loss I quit. It took about 6 months but the weight did return.

I have never been dx with diabetes but I am a sugar addict who has been sugar free for 4 years now. I broke my sugar habit when I was up to 183 pounds and having some scary issues when I would eat. (I would feel drunk and the room would spin after eating something like rice or bread...has that ever happened to any of you?)

Anyway...right now I am losing about 1# per week but if that stops I am going to try this next.

Congratulations to each of you. You all have inspired me!!!:flowerforyou:

Hi there!!

I am doing Atkins, working on making it a lifestyle change!! It sounds like you are already well on your way to making those lifestyle changes!!

With low carb or any other weight loss plans, you will experience plateaus. The thing is just to stick with it and as your body adjusts, it will start losing again.

My doctor told me that takes at least 6 months for your body to adapt when you are losing weight, so you just got to hang in there with it!!!

My advice is when your weight loss slows down or stops, add more veggie or low glycemic fruits for carbs..........maybe some oatmeal and an occasional sweet potato and you will be surprised at how your body responds!!!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    YAY, I am so happy that we now have a forum where there are others that are watching carbs, other than me!!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

I was the lone wolf on this site..............

What some people don't realize - is that when they are "eating clean" with whole foods and no processed stuff that they are unintentionally watching their carbs too...........but don't tell them that!!! :laugh: :laugh:

:drinker: :drinker:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hi leanlioness---It seems that there is alot to learn from you. I need all the help I can get.
    Caliecat
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    DeeDee , So glad you dropped in. I am just learning all about this. So far I really like it. Hope to be here for a long time. and a lot smaller.
    Caliecat:flowerforyou:
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Hi leanlioness---It seems that there is alot to learn from you. I need all the help I can get.
    Caliecat

Hey, we can learn from each other!!!

I have been low carbing off and on for 6 years now, I know what needs to be done. I just need to stop and make permanent lifestyle changs.
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Thanks Calie! I'm excited that I have made it 4 days. My sugar cravings are still there like crazy. My husband picked up some cheetos for my kids at the baseball game and I think I was drooling...lol:bigsmile: Anyways...it's great that there's so much support! Trust me...if I can do thin..ANYONE can.

Crys
  • cloverluv
    Options
    YAY, I am so happy that we now have a forum where there are others that are watching carbs, other than me!!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

I was the lone wolf on this site..............

What some people don't realize - is that when they are "eating clean" with whole foods and no processed stuff that they are unintentionally watching their carbs too...........but don't tell them that!!! :laugh: :laugh:

:drinker: :drinker:

You weren't the lonewolf...just the only one who wanted to talk about it which is great!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Crys--- I plan on being around a while here. Carbs is what matter. Need the good carbs to keep you energy up. I don't know much about this yet, But I do plan on learning more.
    The more we Chat the more we will learn. So I plan on posting everyday.

• LeanLioness
    Options
    Thanks Calie! I'm excited that I have made it 4 days. My sugar cravings are still there like crazy. My husband picked up some cheetos for my kids at the baseball game and I think I was drooling...lol:bigsmile: Anyways...it's great that there's so much support! Trust me...if I can do thin..ANYONE can.

Crys

For me to have all of my sugar cravings to leave and leave for good, I need about 3-4 weeks of very strict and simple eating.........

Protein
    Cheese
    Salad
    Green veggies (green leafy veggies, green beans, broccoli)
    Lots of water

Sugar free jello, pudding, etc..........keeps the cravings there. I went very simple and focused on the protein sources and veggies.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Crys--- I plan on being around a while here. Carbs is what matter. Need the good carbs to keep you energy up. I don't know much about this yet, But I do plan on learning more.

I have sugar-busters, protein power, south beach, atkins and the zone books. I can always pull out a book to help someone out!!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Leanlinoess, I do have a question for SBD I mad chili dtoday oudt of 96 % fat free, 1 can of chili beans. Lot of onions, Bell peppersA large can of Crushed Tomatoes. Is that a legal meal for Phase 1?

Thanks
    Caliecat
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    So, what did everyone have for dinner?

We had :

Grilled Salmon Filet
    Steamed Shrimp
    Salad
    Steamed Broccoli with butter and cheese melted on top
  • cloverluv
    Options

I have sugar-busters, protein power, south beach, atkins and the zone books. I can always pull out a book to help someone out!!

Awesome...I really want to make this change and I could use all the help. Thanks a bunch!!
  • cloverluv
    Options
    For one thing...I have a love for cooked spinach. I just started eating it 2 days ago and I'm addicted :happy:
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Thanks Leanlinoess, I do have a question for SBD I mad chili dtoday oudt of 96 % fat free, 1 can of chili beans. Lot of onions, Bell peppersA large can of Crushed Tomatoes. Is that a legal meal for Phase 1?

Thanks
    Caliecat

I think it depends on the type of beans used. What kind did you use?

I know kidney beans are reasonable in carbs. 14 gram of carbs total for 1/2 cup, with 7 grams of fiber, so I would only count 7 grams of carbs.

Do you deduct fiber with south beach? I do on Atkins.......
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    For one thing...I have a love for cooked spinach. I just started eating it 2 days ago and I'm addicted :happy:

I love spinach - in salad, creamed, sauted, boiled, baked in with other stuff, etc...........
  • CALIECAT
    Options

Thanks
    Caliecat

I know kidney beans are reasonable in carbs. 14 gram of carbs total for 1/2 cup, with 7 grams of fiber, so I would only count 7 grams of carbs.

It was Red Beans and I know nothing about net carbs.
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    Wow, I was just looking for info on SBD! I have been tossing the idea around since simply eating clean and healthy doesn't seem to be doing it for me like it was the first few weeks. I have a long way to go and have stalled out. Granted, the past few weeks have been incredibly stressful and I know that is getting in my way.

I bought the sugar busters book and am going to start reading it today. I have read SBD a couple of times. I have some of the cookbooks as well. I just have never really been on a real "diet" and I don't like the idea so I've never tried anything like SBD.

So glad to hear that it's working well for you!!! Keep us posted please! 12 lb is wonderful!

The Sugar Busters book will really open your eyes about sugar
    it sure did for me
    /quote]

I LOVE Sugar Busters!
  • LeanLioness
    Options

Thanks
    Caliecat

It was Red Beans and I know nothing about net carbs.

You should be good to go!!!

That is one BIG thing I like about Atkins, counting "net" carbs and not whole carbs allows you to eat more!!! :bigsmile:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    LeanLioness wrote: "Sugar free jello, pudding, etc..........keeps the cravings there. [/quote]"

Hi and thanks for the welcome. I wanted to comment on this. Having been sugar free for 4 years I can attest to the fact that there are moments that it is difficult. Sometimes it is the craving but other times, it is more learning how to do something new in a familiar situation. Like a family picnic or birthday party...learning how to handle this. For a long time I ate substitute foods that contained aspertame(Nutrisweet), sucralose (Splenda) and malitol or other sugar alcohols, but I agree completely that all of these substitutes just keep the cravings there and I also lost weight VERY slowly using them. For the malitol chocolate things (cookies and candy) they still have all of the calories, just not the sugar load/glycemic effect.

I see sugar free jello being listed a lot here and would encourage you to take an honest look at your body and how you react. For me, too much and I get headaches, moody, and the cravings are intense.