does the "eating anything you want in moderation" really wor

Options
124»

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    well, unless you are looking to radically revamp everything you're eating, its a good place to start...
    for me, it made a big difference, just being aware of how much i was eating. 1 cup of cereal doesn't leave me hungry, but before i was paying attention to portion size, i'd eat a bowl, which was about 1.5 cups.
    as you start cutting calories, you may have the ingenious idea to look for substitutes, which you can eat more of... etc...

just one thing to pay attention to: cutting down on the amount you are eating, will also cut down on vitamins and minerals you ingest - which usually leaves you short. so adding a multivitamin would be a good idea...
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i was a bit depressed once, and for about 2 weeks all i ate was toblerone and chocolate milk - i lost 5lbs. given it was not a healthy thing to do, and definitely not intended, but just because it's 'bad-for-you-food' doesn't mean you automatically gain weight...
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It worked for me when I was younger. Now that I'm older moderation does not always work. Now I have to watch specific macronutrients. I'm not sure why things changed but I have adjusted ( could be hormonal , who knows??)
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight eating in moderation. There are no taboo foods or food groups in my world. I eat 2 slices of pizza for dinner, not 4. I weigh out one ounce of aged cheddar for a snack, not mindlessly slicing off of a hunk of cheese. I split desserts or other fatty foods with other people so I can still have *some* just not a ton.

It works for me!

Exactly! I eat this same way. Just the other day I had a craving for Carrot Cake, so I had a half sandwich and soup for lunch and split a slice of Carrot cake with three other people. Totally hit within my calories and macros, and it satisfied my craving.

Deprivation does not work for me. I just get fed up and quit.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Yes it works, but:

1) Ignoring macronutrient requirements is silly and you should still hit them for composition goals.
    2) Not everyone can execute the plan, and food elimination, as much as I'm against it, might be a necessity for some.
    3) With that, individual intolerances and medical conditions should obviously be considered.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It works for me :)

I like to hit my macro target as well though (fat, carbs, protein). So for example, I could eat pizza, chocolate, sweets etc all day and as long as I was under my calorie goal I should lose weight BUT I wouldn't hit my protein target, and I'd probably be way over in fat and carbs! So I still end up making ok choices most of the time.

Moderation is portion control. Not eating until you feel sick, or eating so much of your favourite chocolate bar that you end up over your goal for the day. If you want something as a treat that's fine, but you work it into your daily plan so you still lose :)
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can! Of course, moderation is different depending on what food you're eating (i.e. cheesecake vs. vegetables or a chicken breast).