How did you decide your goal weight?

Options
It dawned on me today that I didn't really give much thought about deciding my goal weight. I don't want to change it, but I am curious what drew you to your number? :smile:

Replies

• halfeatenchurro
    Options
    I chose my goal weight because when I get down to it I will be in the "healthy" body mass index range...
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    My goal weight is the weight I was before I gained. In June 2010 I was 110 lbs, so that's where I'd like to get back to. I know that I am healthy and comfortable at that weight so it wasn't so hard.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    I want to be a size 8 again and that is approx 115 - 125lbs so i set my goal thereabouts :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Experience. I've know how I look at many different weights from 250 down to 175. My goal weight is an estimation of how I would look with some more muscle at a body fat percentage that I like.
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I picked mine from the height/weight charts indicating what is 'normal' for a woman 5'6". Since I have never been of 'normal' weight I have no idea if the one I chose was realistic. I'm still many pounds away from finding out. :smile:
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i picked an even number in the middle of my healthy BMI range - 150.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Mid "healthy" BMI
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    it's 5 lbs less than i've ever been able to lose before. when i reach it, i will readjust my goal weight to a "normal" weight according to BMI. and from there, i will probably adjust to goals regarding body fat % not weight at all.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
  • becca3211
    becca3211 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    this is the weight that I feel good at......and my jeans feel real good on me!
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I originally chose 150 as my goal weight (about 25 pounds down from my start weight), putting me in a healthy BMI range and thinking that was all I wanted to lose. However, once I got there, I realized that I had more weight to get off, so adjusted to 140. Now my goal weight is 135 (really a 135-138 spread). More important than those 5 pounds is losing the body fat.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 120lbs, which is a BMI of 22.1

A BMI of 21.7 being mid-way in the healthy range, I've just gone for something very close to that to give myself flexibility either way, and to be on a nice round number. If I get into the healthy range and feel I'd look too thin at 120lbs, I'll stop losing early.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    As another above, I went by weight charts and what constitutes a "normal" body mass index. I chose mine at the upper limit of normal per weight charts (and Weight Watchers ) but would get me to the normal range. Of course I have been stuck for over a year just 20 pounds short of that goal in the plateau from hell - so apparently my body had a different goal in mind. Still, I haven't given up and keep at it and maybe some day things will begin to go down again. I have the rest of my life to lose 20 pounds. I'm not going anywhere. LOL. Still, it would be sweet to not be in the "overweight" category on the BMI. :sad:
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I went for the weight I was when I graduated college and when I got married. It also fell right in the middle of the healthy range for BMI, so it seemed like a good thing.
  • josiejo333
    Options
    I worked out the last weight where I felt proud of my figure (which was quite a few years ago) then added 7lbs for difference in age......... if before I get to my goal weight I am content with myself I will stop.... naturally your body changes with age so I am making allowances
  • mom2my3angels123
    Options
    Based on my body structure. A healthy weight, as far as BMI goes, for me, would be about 150. but I wouldn't look healthy at that weight because i have a larger bone structure than most people do. right now, mine is 180, but we'll see what i look like when i get there. i was 191 back in 2005 and looked pretty good there, as well.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have only half heartedly choosen mine. I figure my body will tell me when its happy. I have chosen 120 but, I do not know if that is what I really want when what I REALLY want is a nice toned body and I do not know if that will happen at 120 maybe it will be higher, maybe lower but whatever it is I just want to be healthy and toned.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I haven't set a goal weight...I'm going to rely more on how my clothes fit, how I look and how I feel.
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Well I for one, JUST my opion... I didn't use the scale cause I am 5 7" and big boned.. If I went by it then @ 150lbs I would look boney.. lol... So I went w/ 180 cause it's healthy for me, plus I was happy @ that size (in High school, pre kids) ;-0!!:laugh:
  • allison_42
    Options
    My goal weight is 105-110 depending on where I feel the happiest at. I chose this range because 4 years ago I weighed 105 pounds. I was doing competitive gymnastics, track team, and cross country team. I felt happy and confident at that weight and I would like to achieve that again! (I'm currently at 128 pounds)