How did you decide your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    It's what I weighed when I got married 10 years ago. That said, I've had a baby since then and my body is just build differently than it was then, so I might change my mind. It's right in the middle of my BMI range, so I've got a bit of wiggle room.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have two goal numbers (and they're subject to change)...

Weight and body fat.

I chose both based on "the charts" at www.healthstatus.com
    Really, I just decided to be in the middle of the "ideal" charts for both fat/weight.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My goal weight will be whatever the scales says, once I'm the size I really like. I want to be toned, tight, and fit!!!
  • darylinny
    Options
    I am going by what my doctor gave me as a healthy weight for me.

Me too. Consulted a doctor for my goal weight. Then I achieved it and thought I looked sick. Since then I have adjusted it and want to maintain what I feel is my ideal weight range (cause trying to stay on one number could drive a person to drink) and that range is 168 - 172, which would make me a slighly smaller than average size 12 or a tight fitting size 10!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've been there (150lbs) several times in my life, and it's always seemed like the best place for me. Coincidentally, it's also right in the middle of my healthy BMI range.
  • seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    BMI and body build - I'm rather large boned.
  • LSHANDREW
    Options
    my doctor said to start by losing 10% of my total body weight at first. sure I have a lot more to lose then that, but why would I ever try if I think OMG I need to lose 150 pounds! It's not worth beating yourself up over the BIG picture. just one day and one pound at a time.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i picked 165 because it's the high end of normal BMI... i plan on getting there and re-evaluating. 150 would be nice, though. so i could say i lost half my starting weight.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My goal is what I weighed 5 years ago before I gained 200 lbs as a result of binge eating :X
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is what my OB (who I am working with to lose the weight) told me to set it at. Actually, she said 115, but I put 125 because I know if I get to 115 I will be in a size 0.

Of course, more important to me than the number is how I look. If I am all toned, with no fat roll, then I will be happy. I was 150 at my wedding, but full muscle and very little fat (even had the great abs) and was in a size 5, so I would be happy with that again.
  • acschnabel
    Options
    Goal #1: There was this magic number in my head of 175. Haven't seen that number since before college/military about 21 years ago and I felt that I could get back there. After a 2 month life style change (not diet), I lost 25 pounds and am now there.

Goal #2: It seems, according to all of the calculators/trackers etc that measure a generic body based on height and weight, that I would be at 163 or so. I remember having to cut weight as a Junior in High School in order to wrestle at 165 and I'm now 38 yrs old.

I feel like I have the weight to lose so that's the next step. No real time limit on it, but would like to be there when I run my first official 10K in May. Your goals are for YOU. Whatever you are going to FEEL good at.
  • FitN50s
    FitN50s Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Two things helped me decide.

1. I was at 115 lbs a few years ago. I looked and felt pretty darn good.
    2. I used this link and it confirmed my original goal.
    http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's the middle of the healthy BMI range for my height. I'm not sure if it's attainable. I lost a lot ~8 yrs ago and felt great. My lowest weight then was 20 lbs more than my current goal. That was at the top of the healthy BMI range for me then. I've since shrunk by an inch :grumble: , so at the very least I need to lose another 5 lbs to get to the top of my new range.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm going with smaller goals. I do better when I think in 10 - 20 lb increments. Plus I have learned that I will keep it off if I go with a slower process. So I set up 20 lbs from the start of this particular diet. My plan is to maintain that loss first and then set another goal. I want this to stay off this time and working on good habits is more important to me.

I will know when I'm "done" so to speak when I like what I see in the mirror, how my clothes fit and how a feel on the inside. This is about getting healthier for me. It's not about a number anymore.
  • Peeeeeeeeeej
    Peeeeeeeeeej Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I figured out what my lean body mass was (approx. 155 lbs) and aimed for a goal of 10~12% body fat which brings me near 170~175 lbs.

I started at 211 - and last year around this time I weighed 230ish
  • TheJustPull
    Options
    I looked up what the average index was for my height and all that stuff and somewhere I remember seeing 150-155 being normal. I was at 178 when I started. My fiance was just feeding me too well and I wasn't working it off at all. I want to be in better shape for my wedding day :)
  • bigdaddymik
    Options
    going by what my doctor said. l'm pre-diabetic with numbness in my toes. lost 9 lbs so far and the numbness is better. want to get off high blood pressure and pre-diabetic meds!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I choose mine because it is in the healthy BMI range, not the maximum, but also not the minimum. I was at that weight when I was a teenager (age 14, but same height as I am now), so I know it is possible. I don't want to be heavier than I have to be, and I don't think my body structure will permit to go into the 120s even though I am only 5'4"
  • footballmom12
    footballmom12 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I played volleyball in college and was 155 lbs @ 5'10 and about 11% body fat (you'd never know it now). When I got married I was 180 but at the time I thought I was "fat". Now my goal is 170-180. Right on the cusp of healthy according to the BMI charts.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My lightest as an adult has been 150, and I was pretty happy with where I was then. So, I'd like to get back to that, minus 2 pounds. Because then I can say I've lost 30 pounds! (sounds better than 28)

We'll see when I get there if I want to maintain it, or try for less. I ultimately don't care about the number, but would like to be a size 8-10 again.