How did you decide your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5". Initially my goal weight was 135 but I am down to 141 now and still have a lot to loose so I lowered to 130. I may even lower again to 125 if I still have chunk!
  • MrsTattie
    MrsTattie Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good question! I took my goal weight to be the same when I came back from honeymoon. BB - before babies! I thought I was overweight then, but can't wait/weight to be there again. I look great! It is funny how your perceptions change.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I choose a number that is in a healthy range for my height and bone structure that I felt is achievable but I hope to ultimately be 5 to 10 pounds lower when I am really to stop losing and work towards maintaining.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I am going by what my doctor gave me as a healthy weight for me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal weight. I have a goal body fat percentage. Once I get to that, it doesn't matter what I actually weigh.
  • Calculated how much weight I would have to lose in order to reach 18% BF
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    As another above, I went by weight charts and what constitutes a "normal" body mass index. I chose mine at the upper limit of normal per weight charts (and Weight Watchers ) but would get me to the normal range. Of course I have been stuck for over a year just 20 pounds short of that goal in the plateau from hell - so apparently my body had a different goal in mind. Still, I haven't given up and keep at it and maybe some day things will begin to go down again. I have the rest of my life to lose 20 pounds. I'm not going anywhere. LOL. Still, it would be sweet to not be in the "overweight" category on the BMI. :sad:

GREAT read on plateau-ing, look that up in the search here.. Helped me!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is what it was before I gained all the weight I just lost. :) I'm sure I *could* lose more, but I really don't want to have to work so hard to keep it off, I like to eat, and I'm now in a normal BMI range.

Good for me.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is the weight I was when I was at my fittest. So I know that is where I want to be.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I picked a number that was less than what I weighed. And then I picked a number that was a lot lower than what I weighed. I may change it some day later, but that's the extent of it.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer set the goal for me based upon my height, age, and build. She wanted me to be in the middle of the healthy weight range for my height.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Since the same weight looks so drastically different on different people I just go on my own personal weight history. 8 months ago I was a weight I loved so that is my goal. I am not opposed to changing my goal if a different weight makes me happy though.
  • curvylady1
    curvylady1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's what I weighed before uni....and the weight gain that came with it. =)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Because I looked my best at 127, so I chose it.
  • roadworthy
    Options
    I just honestly picked a number for now, without looking again I can't even tell you what it is. I will reset my goals accordingly when I get close, move ticker move damnit!!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i keep re-assessing my goal when I hit it. LOL... my original goal was to get to pre-baby 21lbs ago, and then to get to pre-marriage weight 13lbs ago and then to get to a goal I never hit, which is where I am now, but I am still not happy. I think 3-5lbs will satisfy me. Anything more than that I would not attempt. Would be to low for me!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I picked it because it was just over the obese BMI for a standard male of my height, but just within the normal range for someone with a muscular frame.
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    Mine is the absolute top end of 'normal' BMI, just to get me into the healthy range. When I get there, I'll see if I need to lose more to be fitter or if I'm happy as I am.
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    For the most part, everyone has healthy reasons for choosing their goal weight. I was wondering if there were any "Because it sounded like a nice number"'s. Honestly, I like the way 125 sounds. :laugh: But I've been all the way from 112 to 174 and 125 looks and feels good for me.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I was 120 in high school, but because of my height still held onto a bit of fat. My goal weight is 118 until I get there, and then based on how I look and feel, maybe a few more pounds.