A little help here. ... How do YOU overcome eating sweets?

Options

Replies

• treasurebox1
    treasurebox1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use stevia drops in Teecino coffee iced w/ Rheddi whip on top! sooooo good and stevia is so freakin sweet, it helps! and...caob candies when I have extra calories I have to eat!
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I remember I am most important to me when it comes to what I eat and how much I workout. No one else can come in the way.
  • starrybirdy
    starrybirdy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    fox's glacier fruits are a hard boiled fruit sweet, they work out at 20 cals per sweet so I suck on one of them if I'm craving sugar.
  • DulceDollie
    DulceDollie Posts: 115
    Options
    I feel positive that I am the absolute biggest sweets junkie that ever existed (I'm the only one I know who actually DREAMS of some sort of sweet on a regular basis), and I am seriously addicted to food. Like someone else mentioned, I am also on a lower carb diet and I have to say that it is the only thing that's ever given me sanity. Sugar fuels my cravings for more sugar, and more and more. Once I cut out sugar my cravings were cut in half and my willpower was strengthened. I still have sweetened things here and there, but not if it's sweetened with sugar. I miss my dear friend Sweets but life is truly easier without him. My personal advice would be to genuinely try a low-carb or sugar-free diet. The first few days can be hard but if you stick to it your body thanks you. That's how I overcome eating sweets. Good luck!
  • Ric19k
    Ric19k Posts: 35
    Options
    I just stopped cold turkey haha
    Just keep your goal in mind. Thats all it took for me everything i saw a snack just drink a glass of water and your appetite will go away.
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    I found one really awesome treat alternative: Emerald Sweet & Salty Mixed nuts in the new Dark chocolate and peanut butter flavor. The are sooo good and only 150 cal and 6g sugar per serving, so somewhat more reasonable than a brownie.
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    I feel positive that I am the absolute biggest sweets junkie that ever existed (I'm the only one I know who actually DREAMS of some sort of sweet on a regular basis),

OMG DolceDollie! I TOTALLY do that too! (It's even on my profile, LOL.) :laugh:
  • addykins1
    addykins1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think its really unfair to expect the bf to go without, he can show moderation, he shouldn't have to go without, the issue is yours, not his, maybe you can learn moderation from him. The world is full of temptation, you are better to face it head on or it will continue to plague you forever.

I'm a sugar fiend, so I use sugar free substitutes and limit real sugar treats (even fruit!) and stuff otherwise I would just eat way too much of it and not eat the stuff my body needs. I have to either have one serving, or I'm not allowed it. If I cant show restraint I go without, so it motivates me to be healthy in my portions of treats so I can continue to have them. If I eat something sweet and get the MORE urge, I drink a glass of water and brush my teeth and go distract myself for a bit until the craving passes.
  • AntuanR
    AntuanR Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay to eat sweets in moderation. Have a cheat day where you indulge. You kill the craving and can move on.
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    today, i was having a really bad craving after lunch, so i went and applied some mint flavoured lip scrub, totally took my mind off it LOL
  • Ryn1982
    Ryn1982 Posts: 13
    Options
    First of all your boyfriend should be on board with your goals and not be baking stuff as much. Secondly schedule cheat days. It gives you something to look forward to and makes it easier to bypass stuff at random opportunities.

OMG so true! My brother is also quite skinny and lives with me, he just has extra serves of the healthy stuff (which he absolutely loves, because he feels less bloated/yuck afterwards) because no matter how skinny you are having high fat or sugary products isn't healthy for anyone. I eat carrot sticks, sugar snap peas and celery at 10am (before the morning tea rush) so I am less likely to feel hungry when ppl offer the cakes/biscuits etc.

All the best!
  • kettrickenx
    kettrickenx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't want to deprive myself from having sweets but I'm very careful for the quantities. If I try to avoid eating I ask myself whether I am really hungry. Or I usually eat fruit, try to distract myself, make tea, work out (!).
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    First of all your boyfriend should be on board with your goals and not be baking stuff as much. Secondly schedule cheat days. It gives you something to look forward to and makes it easier to bypass stuff at random opportunities.

I love this idea!!! I have a cheat day for a Starbucks White Mocha. It saves me money and calories! Or if I know I'm going out on the weekend I can easily say no during the week.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Good question! I had to wean myself off sweets. Example: A bedtime snack is the routine. I almost always had a bowl of ice cream while watching my final TV program before going to bed. When I decide to get off that, I started buying individual low fat ice cream cups..you know, the little ones that cost a fortune each..lol. Then when I got used to that, I started buying greek yogurt and now, I look forward to my greek yogi before going to bed. I do, occasionally, still have an ice cream cup, like every 2 weeks or so; usually after a successful weigh in day. I have also found after you get off the sweets, you will have little desire to eat them. It's worth the small struggle to get there. Good luck!

Edit: One thing I do schedule into my eating plan for a snack is a Weight Watcher's Giant Latte Bar. They are only 90 calories and absolutely DEE-WISHOUS! mmmyummeeee
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Treats in the workplace? Sheer willpower. Maybe a cup of tea, dark cocoa, or fruit, as the others suggested.

A boyfriend who bakes is a treat in itself, especially if he's good at it. I definitely wouldn't want that to stop. Can you find some recipes that are healthier and ask him to make them for you? This way, he's getting the satisfaction of cooking and you're not sabotaging yourself.
  • bagsandbows
    Options
    I don't. I eat them without going over my calorie goal.

Yep, I'm a believer in this too. Everyone has different needs and wants. For me, as long as I measure out what fits into my calories, I go for it. For example, those Sarris 100 calorie pack chocolate covered pretzel slims are amazing, especially when paired with tea or coffee. I eat them slowly and savor them, and that's just the right amount for me. For me, it's not realistic to restrict things completely, or it's not truly a lifestyle change (for me). I'm a believer that the more I allow myself to have something(as long as it fits into my calorie goal) the less I'll have any desire to overindulge in it. I think it's worked for me very well so far.
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    Interesting article in Time Magazine this week about the science of willpower. Offers a few tips on building your willpower "muscle".
  • emstgm
    emstgm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It seems like your problem is more environmental. You do just fine when the stuff is not in your face. I have the same problem at work. I sometimes will allow it, but like someone else said, I ask myself, is it worth it? If it is, I do it, and it means a lighter dinner that night, usually. If I really want to resist it, I usually go get a Diet Coke or chew a piece of gum. And I try hard not to walk by the stuff at work. As for at home, I have an agreement with my hubby - he only brings in treats that don't tempt me. He's OK with it. I know that it means that he does not get fresh baked chocolate chip cookies anymore, but it helps me reach my goal. I could not resist if my hubby baked sweets every night.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    One of the easiest things to do is to keep some dark chocolate with you. it needs to be 70% or higher. Endangered species, Dagoba, and Green and Black's are good options. It has helped me a lot. You need to watch your serving and calories but it helps so much to be able to have some chocolate while everyone else it eating baked goods. Also, tell the boyfriend to stop baking and putting it under your nose when you are trying to be healthy. I know it is hard to say but sometimes you just have to. I have had to do it with my husband and he finally understood that his unhealthy eating habits were hindering me as well as making him unhealthy even if HE didn't need to lose weight.

I have told him multiple times, but he says that since he is skinny and always will be he can eat whatever he wants, I should be strong enough to stay away. What he doesn't get, is that its just not that easy... Thanks though I will try the dark Chocolate

Do you think he might be trying to sabotage you? He at the very least doesn't seem to want to support you.

I eat sweets and just fit them into my calorie limit. Otherwise I'd go binge like crazy. Honestly, I still have the urge to binge eat cake and candy.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I definitely do the dark chocolate. I eat Dove 80%, 2 squares with my morning snack, 2 with my afternoon snack. 4 squares is about 110 calories, which is workable in my diary.