A little help here. ... How do YOU overcome eating sweets?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I would try to cut out the work sweets-- which I'm guessing are low-quality, overly sweet, and not nearly as good as the stuff your boyfriend is making from scratch. Have fresh fruit on hand for sugar cravings.

If the habit of snacking on sweets is really ingrained you'll have to take steps to realign it. Take note of what circumastances are triggering the urge to snack. Are you bored, tired, stressed? Does it happen at a certain time of day? Does it happen when you see someone else snacking? There is probably a pattern. Once you recognize what your cues are, find a healthy habit to insert in its place. For example, if you realize you're bored and want a cookie, go for a short walk instead. Do this enough times and the next time you're bored your brain will tell you to go for a walk instead of eating a cookie.

I would not prohibit your boyfriend from baking because it's something he loves to do. I'm also assuming the things he bakes are of really good quality and therefore more "worth" it. You should be able to allocate the calories for a serving every day; eat it mindfully, with a cup of tea or coffee, and it should be very satisfying. I love baking too, and always have a cake or something on hand, but I have no trouble fitting it into my diet.

You might ask him to limit the baking to only once a week, or freeze or give away half of what he bakes. Or you might try to steer him towards things that are lower calorie or more satisfying. A decent-sized slice of unfrosted cake is 200 calories or fewer, and it's easy to stop at one slice. On the other hand I think it's easy to go overboard with cookies. He's probably ok with baking within a few loose guidelines.