Lose 5 Pounds A Month March 2012 Challenge

Options

Replies

• 55tolose
    55tolose Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I am seeing some great weigh ins on this week!! Yay!! Good Job everyone you are All doing Amazing!!!

DMG and Franny bob if you have pcos and are having troubles then metformin is an amazing drug they use it not only for insulin resistance but to help treat PCOS. When I started taking it my ovaries got less sore and all that so Iv been liking it alot altho Im taking it to increase my chances of getting pregnant. I was on regular met for my first two babies and now im on extended release at a lower dose and it has taken 3 times as long to get pregnant and Im Still not pregnant but i am going in today to request regular met..
    there are some side effects to met but there are positive feedback that if those side effects get really bothersome then the extended release usually is not as intense with the side effects. also sometimes pcos women lose weight when they start taking metformin lol : )

well I have officially lost my first pound of the month!!!!

3-01 ---> 165.4
    3-12 ---> 164.4
  • niejarin
    niejarin Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi everyone this is a great idea real motivation.

cw 238
    wg 233

3/13-238
    3/20-
    3/27

Since I'm just joining in i got alot of work to do good luck everyone.:wink:
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I am seeing some great weigh ins on this week!! Yay!! Good Job everyone you are All doing Amazing!!!

DMG and Franny bob if you have pcos and are having troubles then metformin is an amazing drug they use it not only for insulin resistance but to help treat PCOS. When I started taking it my ovaries got less sore and all that so Iv been liking it alot altho Im taking it to increase my chances of getting pregnant. I was on regular met for my first two babies and now im on extended release at a lower dose and it has taken 3 times as long to get pregnant and Im Still not pregnant but i am going in today to request regular met..
    there are some side effects to met but there are positive feedback that if those side effects get really bothersome then the extended release usually is not as intense with the side effects. also sometimes pcos women lose weight when they start taking metformin lol : )

well I have officially lost my first pound of the month!!!!

3-01 ---> 165.4
    3-12 ---> 164.4

@55 - Well done on the loss :) Thanks for the info on metformin, I'll have a look into that.

@belle-74 Well done on your great loss in the 8 week programme - how are you doing since then?
  • belle_74
    belle_74 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    My update after week 2 on March 2012 Challenge:

Weight at start of challenge: 166
    CW: 163
    GW: 161

3/1: 166
    3/7: 165 (-1)
    3/14:163 (-2)
    3/21:
    3/29:

3 down, 2 to go :wink:

@Frannybobs, things are going well since the programme finished! The programme finished two weeks ago and I am down three pounds since so I am delighted with myself.

I was so surprised this morning when I weighed myself as I really wasn't expecting a 2lb loss this week. I have been 'experimenting' since the last weigh-in with my calories as during the 8 week programme we did not eat back our exercise calories but I was reading here that you should do this so I said what the heck I would give it a try.

At first I was eating back all my exercise calories but now I only eat back about half of them as I started to panic that the calories the machines at the gym told me I was burning was wrong so I said I had better err on the side of caution and only eat half back!

Well done to everyone on their loss this week and good luck to those yet to still weigh-in!
  • Frannybobs
    Options

@Frannybobs, things are going well since the programme finished! The programme finished two weeks ago and I am down three pounds since so I am delighted with myself.

I was so surprised this morning when I weighed myself as I really wasn't expecting a 2lb loss this week. I have been 'experimenting' since the last weigh-in with my calories as during the 8 week programme we did not eat back our exercise calories but I was reading here that you should do this so I said what the heck I would give it a try.

At first I was eating back all my exercise calories but now I only eat back about half of them as I started to panic that the calories the machines at the gym told me I was burning was wrong so I said I had better err on the side of caution and only eat half back!

That's great to have lost 3lbs in the 2 weeks since your programme ended - well done you!!

I agree with you on the "eating exercise calories back" neverending debate!! I don't eat them all back normally, I try to eat half back, as you're right all calorie burns are not completely accurate, even with an HRM and my body seems to work ok with only eating half back - I haven't plateau'ed yet, but if I did I'd tweak things a bit. Every body is different and generally we all know our own body's better than anyone else!

What sort of workouts do you do?
  • Frannybobs
    Options

That's great to have lost 3lbs in the 2 weeks since your programme ended - well done you!!

I agree with you on the "eating exercise calories back" neverending debate!! I don't eat them all back normally, I try to eat half back, as you're right all calorie burns are not completely accurate, even with an HRM and my body seems to work ok with only eating half back - I haven't plateau'ed yet, but if I did I'd tweak things a bit. Every body is different and generally we all know our own body's better than anyone else!

• dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Finally checking in... Some of you may have seen my status updates about the weekend, and the Battle of the Bloat that I am waging. I was pretty off-track most of the weekend - mommy/daughter day on Friday which included meeting up with daddy for lunch, a girl's night on Saturday night which included a few glasses of wine and munchies, a birthday brunch on Sunday, as well as friends from out of town over for supper on Sunday. So, a very fun weekend, but I ended up with quite a jump on the scale come Monday morning! Eek! I have been very good the last two days, and have dropped back down to last Friday's weight. YAY! Now to stay on track the rest of this week, and go for another loss to stay on track for this 5 lb challenge!

Ok, this may be TMI for some people... feel free to skip it...
    @Fran, for my PCOS... it started out as a complaint about my 'mustache' in grade 12 - the esthetician thought it might be hormonal where I was so young, so I went for a bunch of tests, and ended up on the bc pill to 'cure' me. I was 16 or 17 at the time and had never had a proper TOM (spotting here and there, that's about it), and I suffered from cystic pimples (you know those painful ones under the skin). Anyway, with BC, all these symptoms were helped. Then when it came to having babies, I was very lucky to get pregnant more or less right after going off the pill (so I figure I still had some leftover bc 'hormones' helping me along)... Whether the weight gain was due to PCOS, or the BC pill, or just change in lifestyle (i.e. going to university), I will never know. I weighed less than 120 in high school, so weight certainly wasn't an issue then. I decided the one way to find out if the hormones are affecting my ability to lose weight was to get off them. I just felt that my PMS cravings were derailing me every month. I tried going from the BC pill (I was using Diane-35 for many many years) to the NuvaRing, thinking I'd see if using a 'localized' hormome instead of a 'systemic' one would help. That didn't go so well (let's just say that I think having a foreigh object in my hoo-hoo was causing yeast infections). I just stopped the NuvaRing last week, so right now I'm using nothing. Just trying to heal, and then will discuss with hubby about IUD for me or a vasectomy for him. The strange thing is that I stopped taking the pill around the end of Jan, and although I had been stuck around the 150 mark for a LONG time (all of 2011), I managed to drop under 145 finally. Whether that is mental, hormonal, or the gym membership motivation thing, or a mix of them all, I don't really care, as I'm finally starting to see results. I will be going to see my doctor again soon and will ask about the glucose testing.

Bru, congrats on all the miles you're racking up! I'm guessing a baby-Bru (girl).
  • doitforme79
    doitforme79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!
    CW: 161
    GW:130
    3/9:
    3/16:
    3/23:
    3/30:

I FIND WEIGHING MYSELF ON FRIDAY KEEPS ME ON TRACK THROUGH THE WEEK-END. GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
  • belle_74
    Options

@Frannybobs, At the moment it is cardio all the way. I thought I might start strength training this week but could not motivate myself to talk to someone at the gym about it - maybe next week (I know I should do it but I just HATE lifting weights, doing curls, lunges etc).

During the 8 week programme we followed the C25K training programme, which went ok and I even managed to 'jog' the entire 5k by the end of it but I was very slow so I am redoing it (well I am doing an advanced beginner version of it). I am on Week 4 now and the runs are getting tougher. I am doing it all in the gym at the moment as I only get a chance to go around nine at night so don't fancy taking to the roads in the dark (not where I live anyhow). Hopefully next month now I will be able to run outside - which I am sure if going to be tough at first!!!!

I normally spend between 30 - 40 minutes on the treadmill, and then 15 minutes each on two of the other machines (bike, stepper, cross trainer or rower). I try to go four times a week but sometimes (like if we are away at the weekend) I will only manage to get there three times.

I'd imagine once I start the strength training (well hopefully start it) I will have to change my routine as I won't have time to do everything but I will work something out! I think I will miss the 'calorie burn' of not doing the cardio if I have to give up some of the time for strength training!

What do you normally do?
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    March 1st: 206.3
    March 6th: 208.8
    March 13th: 209.6
    March 20th:
    March 27:
    March 31st:

Looks like my walking is finally kicking in to keep my gains on the smaller side. Baby doc appt tomorrow... should find out if it's a Mr. or Miss. :love:
  • ames3456
    ames3456 Posts: 8
    Options
    CW: 176.5
    GW: 171

3/03: 176.5
    3/09: 175.5
    3/16:
    3/23:
    3/30:
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    @Bru - well done on still checking in whilst your're pregnant and for doing lots of walking. I'm sure I would use pregnancy as a big excuse to "eat for two", so I'm very impressed at your discipline :-)

@DMG - glad that something has kick started the weight loss again - it's very frustrating how difficult it is to lose weight with PCOS but I know it's possible as I 've done it before, and I know you can do it too. You did very well getting back on the wagon so fast after your weekend - I am struggling since last weekend with the snacking and just trying to counteract it with more exercise at the moment

@belle - All sounds pretty good what you're doing. Starting the C25K as a more advanced level is a great idea - I admire your dedication!

I hate running and got majorly frustrated that despite training I could never get any faster. I re-discovered my love of cycling last year and have started commuting to work a couple of times a week (6 mile journey), BUT only when it's light - I don't like cycling in the dark, so today was my first day back at it! I am a member at a gym but I don't use the machines that often - I go to Zumba class there which I really enjoy, machines and swim perhaps once a week, but been so busy lately I've had to do home workouts when I can squeeze them in! At home I have a Wii and I do either Zumba Fitness 2 or Just Dance 3, both are great cardio fun.

I have however JUST started working out with kettlebells. Kept seeing them on programs like Biggest Loser and asked at my gym but they don't have any. Looked into it and bought a set of my own cast iron ones (4kg, 8kg & 10kg) from a company on eBay with free p&p (thank goodness because of the weight!!). Have done a few workouts with them now and I LOVE them. It's a combination of cardio AND strength so you burn calories but also tone up, and I actually really enjoy it. Worth looking into it :)

Nice to check in with you all :)
  • Ptyson4
    Ptyson4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @Belle (and anyone else who needs suggestions for figuring out strength training)

I had a personal trainer for awhile a couple years ago, and it helped me to a certain degree. You do work out harder when someone pushes you. But I didn't ask questions or talk about muscle groups. And I would hear other trainers say things like "Ok, we've done the triceps, now lets do some shoulder work", things like that.

So I found this website just this week and put together, from it, my own routine where I know I'm working all of my muscle groups and feel like I'm getting it done as far as strength training goes. Here it is:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exbeginners/a/begstrength.htm

I did ten minutes of elliptical before and after, to get hrm up.

Hope this helps!
  • getthere120
    Options
    CW: 143.5
    GW: 137 by end of March, 132 by end of April, 127 by end of may, 125 by 4th of JULYYYY!

3/7 - 143.5 lbs
    3/14 - 142.0 lbs
    3/21
    3/28
    4/4

also, I've been doing bikram in addition to my regular workouts. Does anyone know the ACTUAL caloric impact of bikram? I've heard anywhere from 450 - 1200 for a 90 minute class. I know the 1200 seems high, but it is 90 minutes of pure swear and by every rest period my heart is absolutely racing. I'm just curious.
  • belle_74
    Options
    @Ptyson4, thanks for that. It looks like I have a bit of reading to do! I know absolutely nothing about muscle groups etc. so this looks good as a starting point for someone who literally does not have a clue! I'll let you know how it goes.

@Frannybobs, they have classes in my gym too. Zumba and Kettlebells are very popular but all the classes are on too early in the evening (or during the day) for me to attend. I know if I bought some Kettlebells for home I wouldn't use them. I have a few exercise DVD's but they are only gathering dust ... :laugh:

@getthere120, I have never even heard of bikram so I am no help to you at all. Well done on your loss!

@BrunetteWife, best of luck tomorrow! and well done on the walking (don't know how you do it :)!

@ames3456, yay, well done on your loss!
  • GloriaPenguin
    Options
    Definitely in :D
    Hoping for 10 lbs loss. But anything more than 5 lbs will be great :D

SW: 157 lbs (Saturday 3rd March)
    Week 1: 156 lbs (Saturday 10th March)
    Week 2: 154 lbs (Thursday 15th March)
    Week 3: (Sunday 25th March)
    Week 4: (Saturday 31st March)
    Total loss:

Weighed myself today because this was an end of a level of 30DS. Will weigh myself at the end of the next (and final) level - Sunday 25th March.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    CW 205.4
    GW: 199.8
    3/2 204.6 (-1)
    3/6 203.6 (-1)
    3/8 202.8 (-0.8)
    3/15 203.6 (+.8)
    3/22
    3/30

Total lost: 2.0

Workouts have been consistent, no cheat or over cal days, just one of those 'frozen' times. Yuck.
  • Dward57
    Dward57 Posts: 1
    Options
    I would like to join the March month challenge but half the month is gone is it too late?
    CW 190
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I would like to join the March month challenge but half the month is gone is it too late?
    CW 190

Never too late! Half a month = 2.5 pounds for the challenge.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    CW 190

Welcome! It's never too late! Just give it your best and you may surprise yourself!! Good luck!