Do u take ur shoes off before entering someone's home :-?

Options

Replies

• david581c
    david581c Posts: 337
    Options
    that's whats great, get to see the wild different perspectives everywhere.

Cant take ur shoes off everywhere, it's all touch and go, so you gotta adapt.

but cereal, come to my pad...you gotta dump the footwear outside cus I'm barefoot at home.
  • christinerush
    Options
    Yes I take my shoes off in other peoples houses and also in my own! Its manners I think. Not everyone takes theirs off when they come to mine though, even though they follow me in the door and see me take mine off! I dont want to argue with them about it, but if they ask should or do they have to take them off, I say that would like it they did and they do! I too have been to places where I would rather not take them off for fear of what I may tread in but still take them off unless the owner says its fine to leave them on!
  • Vickyloo
    Vickyloo Posts: 13
    Options
    I find it soooo annoying when people require shoe removal. It's a pain in the *kitten* and can be uncomfortable and can ruin the look of an outfit. I would never ever have this rule for my own house. Of course I oblige people who request it as I am not rude, but man, it feels like such an imposition. Big pet peeve.

As a matter of fact I avoid going to "no shoes" houses when I can. Just find it so annoying.

I completely agree with you. I hate it when people ask me to remove my shoes in their house - I think it's really really rude. Firstly, they are assuming I have dirty shoes. Secondly, they are telling me (in not so many words) that their carpet is more important than my comfort. Thirdly, it makes guests feel uncomfortable and awkward. Fourthly, I don't know what's going to happen to my shoes! Fifthly, I don't know what I'm putting my feet onto - be it dirty floors or floors that have been insanely cleaned with chemicals that are potentially bad for the skin on my feet. Lastly, walking around in bare feet is both uncomfortable and cold.

I leave my shoes on in my own house, or I exchange them for slippers. I would never ask people to take their shoes off in my house and in fact, I get a little annoyed if people do take their shoes if my house. I don't want to see you walking around bare foot!

I would of course take my shoes off if someone requested it but I honestly don't know a single person who would ask (although there were plenty when I was a child!) I would never be disrespectful to them but if I'm perfectly honest, I probably wouldn't go to their house again, or I would invite them to mine instead, simply because I don't want to be put in the awkward, uncomfortable position again.

But then, it's nice that everyone is different and I've never been very good at looking after floors and carpets (or much else for that matter) - maybe that is why! lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Apt, flat, house, four walls,... Home is a home.

Do you take ur shoes off before entering someones home and do u ask others to do so?

I remove my footwear before entering my flat, anyone who comes by obliges me, tho i dont take my sneakers/sandals off if the person having me over obviously has no regard for this preference,...or the floor is too dirty :S
    I'm Asian...........................it's a requirement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I remember in my university Russian 101 class, we were shown a video showing Russian customs, and the video made a big deal out of the fact that you take your shoes off when you enter a house. We were all confused about why they bothered to make such a huge deal out of something so basic until my professor explained that in the US, people often keep their shoes on, and the video was made in the US. Blew my mind. Honestly, I'd be ticked if someone tramped on into my house with their outdoor shoes on, because in my culture, that's very rude! If I were in a part of the world where it was customary to keep shoes on, I would of course follow suit, but it would feel "wrong" to me and I'd be paranoid the whole time about dirtying up their floors. :P
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Always, but I'm from India and its considered severely rude to not take off shoes there.

Its kinda funny though, the hosts will always tell you to stop taking your shoes off (they're trying to be good host and not inconvenience you) but by tradition you're suppose to tell them its ok and take off the shoes anyways
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I do if that's what they want in their home, otherwise I don't. I don't at home, and prefer not to. Obviously dirty or wet shoes are an exception, but that's the exception, not the rule.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So interesting how it varies by culture. I grew up in a big city in the Southern U.S. and NOBODY ever took shoes off to be inside.
  • Rusjo
    Rusjo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Of course, unless I'm wearing heels. I would never go inside my own home with shoes on either, is that some American thing? It's odd. What would be the point of mopping the floors if you are wearing dirty shoes?
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Interesting how it seems mostly be related to a culture.
    Manners are something now much people have - the Asian countries are excellent in that discipline, while eastern countries less.
    Here in France, it's totally up to the owner - some don't give a damn, others do -
    I do, it , even if sometimes others have all their shoes on :)
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    yes, I always take them off.

I think it is pretty rude if people wear theirs in my home, but I'm not gonna tell them off for it. (except my SILs kids who will wear their damn gumboots on the carpet, grr!)

Hard enough to keep the carpet clean as it is!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I take my shoes off if they do...or if they ask me to. A lot of people I know don't care -- I don't think this means they lack manners. It's just a different way of thinking. I've never heard of not removing your shoes before entering a house being bad manners in American culture. Bad manners result from mannerisms that actually exist.

I live in Japan now so I'm supposed to take my shoes off when entering my dorm room. Even some restaurants will have you remove your shoes. It's just a cultural difference.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I find it soooo annoying when people require shoe removal. It's a pain in the *kitten* and can be uncomfortable and can ruin the look of an outfit. I would never ever have this rule for my own house. Of course I oblige people who request it as I am not rude, but man, it feels like such an imposition. Big pet peeve.

As a matter of fact I avoid going to "no shoes" houses when I can. Just find it so annoying.

Seriously? Ruins an outfit?

What about the fact that flooring isn't cheap and you wearing your dirty shoes all over is ruining THEIR flooring? I would be appalled if someone came into my home and balked at taking their dirty shoes off. I just had brand new carpet installed in my home and I would be ticked off if someone truly thought I would be okay with them walking around with their shoes on or asked to keep them on so it wouldn't "ruin an outfit". Even my dogs know they have to wait on the tile until their feet have been wiped before they can walk on the carpet. Call me weird. Call me obsessive, but I have over $1000 worth of new flooring in my home. I don't want it ruined and really? I don't give a crap if my asking you to remove your shoes "ruins your outfit".

Good heavens.

We all have different priorities. My family back east won't even let their dogs sit on the sofas. They are so obsessed with keeping everything "clean" and "new." The funny thing is, since they keep all their stuff around for so long, their decor looks outdated (not vintage mind you...just outdated). I'm from (coastal) Northern California (aka hippie land) and I've hardly ever come across someone who cared so much about this kind of stuff. Maybe because I grew up there, I feel this way: Things might need to be replaced more quickly, but I'd much rather make my guests (and pets) feel welcome. I don't think freaking out about getting dirt on the floor really does that...I mean, it's just flooring.

Plus, I think it's pretty difficult for most pairs of shoes to *ruin* flooring. If you mean getting it dirty, you can always use a vacuum, mop, etc. They even have people who can come to your house and steam clean your carpets for you.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    In the UK, it's not customary to take your shoes off when entering another person's home, although we would do if asked to do so, or if we were coming in out of the snow (which isn't very often). We have door mats and it's customary to wipe your feet before entering a home.

In the Netherlands, it's the same as the UK.

In Sweden, it's customary to remove your shoes at the door, but again, methinks that's due to a lot of snow and muck in the winter months. Swede's also provide slippers for their visitors.

It's a cultural thing and it seems to vary a lot... :happy:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to do it when anyone asks, hate it when they have uncarpeted floors though! I always take my running shoes off at my door - I should really do it with all shoes as I have cream coloured carpets, but life's to short to sweat a few muddy stains. I mooch to the sofa, THEN take my shoes off. On my next trip to the bedroom, I'll put them away and slip on my slippers.

Wow, I'm lazy!
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS. im not going to make someones house mucky!! aha!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I use every opportunity to be barefoot, so naturally my shoes come off in other peoples house (and especially my own - I don't think I would ever be comfortable at home with my shoes on)
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do take my shoes off and I expect others to too. It is just what I was taught growing up. However, I think people in the Southern US don't do this as much as we Northerners do. I grew up in the North but live in the South, and people in the South constantly ask me "where are your shoes?" when I take them off after entering their house :/ My bf is Southern and I make him take his shoes off in our house now, but he didn't do that before we got together and his family doesn't either.
    ^^^Yes....I grew up in New England...while it wasn't set in stone to take your shoes off right away everyone did it...especially in the winter. Who wants snow and slush tracked all over the place. We moved to NC when I was in HS and I was so used to taking off my shoes and I got funny looks from my hosts (or guests when they see the shoe pile by the door).
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    When I'm at my house I usually take off my shoes. When I'm at someone else's house I ask them if they want me to take them off. When someone comes to my house, I only ask them to take their shoes off if it was raining or snowing.
  • dubw
    dubw Posts: 429
    Options
    I normally look at the foot wear of the host and take a clue, if unsure I ask. I have several oriental and mid-eastern friends whose home footwear is customarily shoeless.