WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2012

Options

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have no idea at what page I left off when last reading your posts, so forgive me. However, I wanted to let you know that nothing is seriously wrong with my sister. She was in hospital for a week and they ran every test possible for her attacks that appeared to be mini-strokes. that is good news. Perhaps it was all brought on by stress, but that is something they (i.e. doctors and such) will need to discover.

Thanks to all for your good thoughts, best wishes, and prayers. The whole family is much relieved as we were very worried. Not knowing is definitely one of the worst things one can experience.

Much love:heart::heart:
    Renny

btw. On Saturday night, I tasted some of the best mussel and shrimp dish ever at "Fish Tales" in Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island, Canada. Just say'n.
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Here is the infor on Kettle worx workout that was requested

http://tv.kettleworx.com/?uid=PT1_GS1_DFATAG&gclid=CIHjlovp4q4CFYcUKgodGEf1WA
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have no idea at what page I left off when last reading your posts, so forgive me. However, I wanted to let you know that nothing is seriously wrong with my sister. She was in hospital for a week and they ran every test possible for her attacks that appeared to be mini-strokes. that is good news. Perhaps it was all brought on by stress, but that is something they (i.e. doctors and such) will need to discover.

Thanks to all for your good thoughts, best wishes, and prayers. The whole family is much relieved as we were very worried. Not knowing is definitely one of the worst things one can experience.

Much love:heart::heart:
    Renny

btw. On Saturday night, I tasted some of the best mussel and shrimp dish ever at "Fish Tales" in Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island, Canada. Just say'n.
    Welcome back Renny. So glad to hear your sister is OK.
  • westernjoy
    Options
    Saturday night I lost 1 hour of sleep. Only got 5 hours sleep.Work 12 hours. Come home to someone had gone through one of my sheds. Nothing missing. ( That is so unsettling) Last night the high winds started at 3:00 AM. And never did calm down. So then it was off to work by 6:00AM. Just my luck on my feet for 4.5 hours before I got a break. So cold and wet outside When I got off work. Went to the grocery store to get a walk in. Didn't realize the perimeter of Fred Meyers is that big. 5 laps Not bad. And to top everything off calling for snow sometime tonight. Best thing about daylight savings I no longer fill like a mole
    Just wanted to whine And thanks for letting me.
    Joyce
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    :tongue: Hello Ladies thanks for the wonderful welcome I am looking forward to getting to know you all much better had a great workout this am I have a friend who was a personal trainer and he comes over 3 times a week and kicks my bootie and boy did he ever kick it today. He is a wonderful patient young man and I dont know if I could do this with out him and you and all your support

For those of you in the NW I to am blowing away today I live in Oregon and am ready for sunshine too!

I have a beautiful white lab who is about 10 years old and loves to go for walks but she is a bit of a princess and doesn't like the rain so we are looking forward to dry weather and long walks together soon

I will get better at all your names I promise but the lovely lady who posted the salad recipe great idea thanks for sharing my lunch tomorow is all set now
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    @Barbiecat - just thinking, we could start a discussion called, "Where do you squat?" Or maybe not.
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    @Barbiecat - just thinking, we could start a discussion called, "Where do you squat?" Or maybe not.

LOL! Too Funny...
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Kind of dreary here. Hopefully sun will come out later in day. With time change maybe sun is just not out yet. Got to gym last night. Kenneth and Heather and I went about 8 pm. Had a great workout. I love the gym, just wish it was not so hard to get there. It is getting very crowded (which is a good thing that people are working out) but hard to get a machine. They are trying to find a place to expand. Hopefully it is soon and closer to home. Hope to do better on eating today. yesterday calories were in check but not really right foods. Have a good day ladies.
    vicki m
  • yclayton
    yclayton Posts: 44
    Options

love it! i squat in the pasture while the water troughs are filling!
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Finding this thread is the best thing! I look forward to finding time in the day to read how everyone is doing. I ran three miles last night (a very slow run...hard to tell the difference between my run and walk). Then I walked two so I knew I could complete the run Saturday within the 2 hours. I did the 5 miles in 90 minutes. Wow am I stiff this morning. I don't think that running should be my exercise of choice. But we will see. Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragment!

Barbi - I have four dogs and they would love long walks every day. But I haven't figured out how to handle all of them. Maybe I should take two at a time. Two are mine (beagles) and two are my daughters. She got one in college and one in med school. I tried to talk her out of both of them since her life was in a state of transition but she felt she couldn't live without them. So now I have them. I love them, but wow, a handful.

Michele, Have a great trip! Way to plan! I always wait until the last minute.

Cathy - Enjoy your cruise! Where are you leaving out of? I am going on a cruise to Bermuda in April. I had high goals for losing weight before then, but maybe I can make the small goals.

JB - you make me want a salad. Now I just have to get orgainized to get the stuff ready the night before.

Meg - Zumba is still in the box. The way I feel now I think it will remain there until after my run. I want to say getting old sucks, but everyone here is about my age and so inspiring. I have found the perfect place for me.

Renny - My thoughts and prayers are with your sister and your family. Not knowing is the worst so I am glad that part is over with.

Beth - Kettle workout sounds so hard. Would it be considered weight training?

Joyce - I hope today is better for you.

Fitz - Welcome. Isn't this thread great?

Everyone have a great day! I know I will.
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies just checking in. Weekend at the beach was so relaxing, now back to the work grind. Didn't go over on my calories I don't think, was hard to log as we ate out most meals but my friend and I shared a plate so portion size was good. The wine may have sent me over but today is a fresh start. Going to start on strength again today, and try to get more squats in, I try 10 at a time when I can remember.

Have a good week ladies
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning, my dears! :flowerforyou:

One result of this new active life-style of mine is that I don't sleep as well. :yawn: Or do I mean I don't sleep in as well? Regardless, this must be the first time in history that I've been out of bed at 6 am on a vacation day, unless I was going meeting a deadline of some kind. Who knew?

Today I am doing workout A-6 of the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I am looking forward to it. :happy: That's weird too! I don't think the scales are going to go down this week because of the indulgent meals over the weekend so I will "lift heavy" to make up for it.

DeirdreAMoore: I’m a BC girl too, over in the Kootenay Valley. We did not have the big wind storm here, but it sure hasn’t been pleasant. Did you fin “New Rules”?

Hey, Tallen, good run.:smile: I ran on the road yesterday for the first time! Got over my self and just did it. Buster-the-Poodle and I did intervals (run 1 minute, walk 2) for 3 K and then walked for 2. It felt great! I am going to try to reverse the intervals and run 2 minutes/walk 1 minute.

Now Barbie, don’t get me too pumped up! I do the lunges while holding dumblell weights (20 lbs at the moment) in each hand. If I tried with a barbell on my shoulders I would fall over for sure! :noway: That would give the big boys at the gym something to think about.

Cathy, so pleased to hear your house is sold. :smile: Will you have a shorter commute to work? You’ll certainly have a shorter commute to the gym!

Robin, It sounds like the trip to Texas is not really what you need right now. :grumble: I envy you the heat, though. It snowed here yesterday evening and rained cold all night. Sigh. I hope you get home to your cool, wet PNW soon.

Renny, so glad to hear your sister is OK. I’m sea-green with envy over the mussel/shrimp dish. We used to live on the Sunshine Coast and had a sailboat. I miss the fresh seafood.

Joyce, honey, you can whine here anytime. :grumble: We're very good listeners.

JipsyJudy – Where DO you squat?

See you on the other side,

Nancy
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Good to read all your posts. I wanted to jump in. I am wearing a pedometer and tracking how many steps. I am realizing I do not move much except when I am exercising. I knew that at some level before but it really is an eye opener to see the numbers. Good information and now I need to act on it.

I have my weigh in tonight at the Weight Loss Challenge. I need to "get it over with"
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It's gonna be a beautiful Tuesday,

Michele- as much as you cook/bake having a small bump in your sampling is just that a bump...you are so good at fixing things and giving them away:drinker:

Cathy- glad your house sold:flowerforyou: downsizing that for me right now is the dirty word:angry: and I know hubby keeps telling me I need to be thinking about doing it...someday:wink: So much to look forward to and a cruise too:drinker: enjoy.

MEG- I see that Beth included a web site to look at for the Kettlebell, I believe that they are the originals and they have videos on it to show how it works. I bought mine at Target, only a #7.5 by Reebox and it came with a DVD for beginner and advanced. I'm enjoying it, sure doesn't seem like you are doing much until the next day aches:ohwell: but good aches. A four day get away sounds wonderful, maybe I need to see about doing something like that:huh:

Robin- nothing like traveling and then fighting a flu bug:sick: hoping you are feeling better soon.

Renny- glad to hear that your sister is doing better:drinker: hoping that it gets better with medical help.

Joyce- I soooo miss Fred Meyers:sad: We lived in Oregon for about 15 years and Freddies was my favorite place because I only had to go to one place. When my Dad passed in 2009 in Grants Pass, it was right before my 55th birthday so I went to the Jewelers @ FM and purchased a bracelet as a "rememberance" and found that if I take it to them every 6 mo to have it checked any repairs are free...well they have a Fred Meyers Jewelers here in Denver but the one closest to my house is about 1/2 hr away...and I always enjoy going there to look at the sparklie stuff :wink:

Tallen- Yes I agree with you getting old sucks:wink: but we are doing all we can to make it as painless as possible:bigsmile:

yclayton- would that be your granddaughter with her blue ribbon from last weekend? Cute:drinker:

Beth- so how long have you been doing Kettlebell exercises? Have you seen results like they say? I just started this past weekend and I'm hoping to get where I don't ache quite so much...but it is a good ache:bigsmile:

I went home and did my Kettlebell exercises, once again it was quick and didn't seem to be a strain at all...now this morning I'm a bit stiff but by moving around that will go away...not as sore as I was on Sunday...so I'm thinking that's a good thing.

Last night I was watch the TLC channel and there was a program something about The Skinny and it was about people that had lost so much weight (100+) that they had skin that they wanted removed because it just hung there. One man had 17 lbs taken off and a young woman had about 30 lbs removed. I can see where they would want to do this, but boy did it look painful. It was interesting because the doctor showed the muscles and could tell that they had been exercising because the muscles under the skin were really firm. Made me wonder about the people on Biggest Loser and what they do afterwards.

Well I have lots to get done today, the 15th is fast approaching and between monthly reports do and what the boss will need to report for his chapter 11 on the 20th I have a lot to get done.

Everyone have a good day, eat healthy, drink plenty of water:drinker: and let's keep moving.

Laura80111:smile:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am still lurking in the shadows and struggling with getting any exercise in and struggling with 1200 calories a day and struggling with keeping up on the posts here.

Never did I think life could be so stressful all the time.

On the brighter side,it has been two years since DD's hip surgery and all is well with her bones and joints! Dad is up and out of his wheelchair one more time. Hubby has his disability hearing mid April. My DS might be getting expelled from yet another school for his temper. He just can't handle bullying or teasing and slammed the wall in the classroom when the others would not leave him alone. ( I guess that was not on the brighter side).

Hanging in there,

Jeannie
  • westernjoy
    Options
    Snow is really coming down. Animals feed and wood stacked. Was hoping for just evening fires, but looks like mother nature has other plans. Hummingbirds are alittle confused I think. They just sit on th feeder and look out at the snow.
    Well didn't lose last week. So I went back over my logs. Not enough greens.Haven't done the salad sister on a daily basis like before. So its salad everyday jb.
    I have been averaging 13000+ steps everyday. So I'm pleased with that. Squats are 25 a day. Just a few at a time. Knees won't let me do a lot. Better than nothing. Strength training going slow. But its going.
    Just wanted to let all newcomers know just move no matter what it is.
    Prayers are with all who are having a tough time.
    Congrats to all who are losing or having good things happen for them.
    Have a great day ladies
    Joyce
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling very discouraged lately. Between the time change, working on our wedding plans and deciding when and where we will be living after, I haven't been consistent with my workouts. I need that extra push to get myself going again. Can't seem to muster up the energy. I'm hoping by having you ladies around nudging me, I'll do better. Thanks!!
  • lsnyder15
    lsnyder15 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and have been looking for a group. Any encourgement is helpful.

I will be 54 this June:smile:
    Married - one daugther and 2 gandsons:heart:

March goals:
    *add extra day at the gym each week - currently doing 3 (body pump, body combat and yoga)
    *track my steps per day
    *healthier food choices
  • shepherdbl
    shepherdbl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone from warm Arizona. I am 65 so definitely qualify as 50+. Enjoy reading about your successes and trials and concerns. I pray for you when you add a concern. I do not have the time to respond to each post, but wanted to let you know you are encouraging me in my journey and I hope as you read these posts you are being encouraged as well. I have only been on MFP for a month so far at the encouragement of my 26 year old niece. Keep up your efforts. We can do this together. :drinker:
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Hi, everybody - what a great group this is!

For those kind enough to ask - what I'm trying to shape up for specifically is to be a able to look good (no, make that great!) in a bikini by July. That's when my husband is taking us to Hawaii for our 35th anniversary. And to show you why I want to look good, take a look at this:

MyMan.jpg

That's my almost 59 year old husband, and I would much prefer it if he had to act as bodyguard for me on the beach rather than the other way around.

And now, just when I posted in my blog that I was going to stop stressing about those stubborn last five pounds and start lifting to shape things up instead, I do my weekly weigh-in and I've dropped 1.4 pounds. My body just really really kills me sometimes. I think it's a practical joker at heart.

Mazaron - My bookstore didn't have New Rules in stock, but the manager lives right around the corner from another store that does and will bring it with him today - so at about 3:30 I'll have the book. Does it provide good lists of what equipment you need? I really am a total beginner at this, except for 2 and 5 pound hand weights.

Beth- Do you think you'll get good results with the kettlebell workout? They always look so interesting, I'm tempted to get one if I can find one cheap

Renny - So glad to hear your sister will be okay.

Meg - About the time change - don't you wish they would just PICK ONE ALREADY and stick with it. I don't mind the extra hour of sleep in the fall, but I find myself waking up an hour early for weeks; and when they put it forward in the spring, I'm a sleep-deprived zombie for a loooong time.

There are so many comments I want to make to others posts, and soooo much that is interesting to read, but I am at work, after all, and I think I should probably go do some.

Nice meeting all of you and talk to you soon (whenever the boss isn't looking lol).