WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2012

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
2492389kwdkszdtke.gif

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Welcome to the supportive thread that helped to change my life.

:flowerforyou: The title says Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

:flowerforyou: This is a supportive and encouraging group of women who have helped me along my weight loss journey and I know they will do the same for you.

:bigsmile: How did you do with your goals for February?

:bigsmile: What goals do you have for March?

:flowerforyou: Some of us set weight loss goals and others have goals that address exercise, healthy behaviors, or new attitudes.

:smile: I love the start of a new month because it is a clean page on the calendar ready for a new beginning.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

March goals:
*walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning no matter how cold, wet, windy, or snowy.
* Yoga three days a week
*100 squats a day
*strength training two days a week (three would be better)
*17,000 steps a day

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Replies

• 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Hey Barbie and all the 50+ ladies ....happy March!! Just thought I'd get in early and say hi to everyone....I am not really posting much anymore as I find it too hard to keep up with everyone...but I do check in from time to time and love reading everyone's stories and I have a few of the gals as friends so just use my newsfeed as support these days.

I'm still loving MFP and I just weighed myself and have now lost just over 8kg....haven't updated my ticker just yet as I always seem to fluctuate for a few days when I have a loss...but I'm a third of the way there so am feeling great!

I'm having a bit of a hard time of things at home at the moment....I've posted this on my newsfeed but perhaps someone here might have had a similar experience (maybe not)..... my older son (21) went over seas for 18months as an 18 y/o (never had a girlfriend before, never drank) and came back with a girlfriend 9 months ago.... we have tried to be really supportive and welcomed her into our home....but in fact we have found her quite challenging... not culturally (she is from Iceland)...but she has some fairly major self esteem issues, eating issues, she hit my son and broke his nose one time in a jealous rage after drinking, etc, etc...you get the picture..she is basically very manipulative of him and he doesn't seem at all happy although he says he is...and I really don't think he is using his brain to think these days but rather another part of his anatomy. Anyway she is going home in 4 weeks as she was only able to come here on a tourist visa....but they are going to apply for a defacto visa...and yesterday he asked if we would help with the application (she didn't ask mind you she was in hiding and made him come and talk on his own)....but I had to tell him that we couldn't support the application...that I would be lying to say i thought he was happy and it would be long term, etc etc...I tried to be gentle and not say everything I feel about her...also said i wouldn't do anything to stop them and that if they are able to work things out then that is great (not that I mean that)...but I did say that we wouldn't offer to have her stay in the house again.....

So as you can imagine things are a bit frosty here now.... not sure how we are going to get through the next 4 weeks...I don't know if he has told her...she spends most of her time upstairs in the bedroom and rarely comes and sits with us. My other son feels uncomfortable around them as well and is in fact going out a lot to his girlfriend's rather than be around here....and they were previously very close.

Sorry to have a big rant...particularly as I don't contribute much any more....but just thought all you wonderful 50+ ladies might have some words of advice.... I am feeling a bit miserable...part of me is just trying to not think about it as I really don't think they have much hope of getting the visa even if we did agree to help but certainly not without our help....and i also wonder if it will all just fizzle out when she leaves and he can get back to reality and his friends here (which she doesn't like so they don't see them much)...but in the back of my mind is just this horrible thought that what if he really does try and stick by her....it has just driven such a wedge in our family.

I'm trying not to resort to comfort eating....going to hit the gym instead!

So here's to a great March....happy losing everyone.

:heart: Lisa:flowerforyou:
  • Cando055
    Cando055 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to have found this thread for March and will claim my space in the wee hours of the first day. I am so tired of taking one step forward and two steps back that I really plan to make this the month to turn things around.

lisa, I feel for you. My children are 24 and 21, and it's hard to know when to give them space and when to intervene. Sounds like you have set perfectly appropriate boundaries. That is, you've been clear about what you can and can't do in the areas that affect you, and you haven't interfered or offered an opinion about the areas that only affect your son and his girlfriend. Give yourself a big pat on the back for that. Of course he's angry, but that's okay. You can be the north star. He can choose to follow it or not.

I hope to get to know this group better as the month progresses.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Happy March my friends. I'll be back later x
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Catching a spot so I don't miss anything!
  • OnlyGrace
    OnlyGrace Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have only been a member of MFP for a week now and have been looking for a group for support. It has taken a while for me to fine a group that I feel will fit my needs and this one seems to fit! I have had a struggle with weight all my life. I am a pro at weight loss but since I turned 53 things seem a lot different. Seems like my body just doesn't respond to the effort any more. I feel much better when a follow a healthy eating plan, my energy level is much better, but the scale is not moving. I really need support. Looking forward to being a part of this group and welcome any freind request!
  • scompton54
    scompton54 Posts: 116
    Options
    Happy March!!

lisa: you have handled the situation really well. Let's hope that distance makes the heart grow weaker.

mazaron: congrats!

I managed to complete my February goals

I'm down 5 pounds

40 hours of working out.....three hours of skiing a week sure helps

I did something fun, healthy and social once a week (skiing again plus yoga)

I will set my March goals later....have to get my butt in gear.

Sarah
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Glad to have found the March thread. I'm going to keep on track even though I'm getting discouraged. I have tried so hard and the scale is mocking me. I know some of it is mobility. My darn ankle still hurts if I do much at all, and I'm afraid to push too much and not be able to walk. Weights and squats, sit ups and lunges are my friends right now. I thought I'd have at least dropped 5 pounds by now.

Lisa, I don't have older children, but I have lots of older nieces and nephews. Sounds like you have done all you can do. My oldest nephew went way off track a couple of years ago and even married the "wrong" girl. It took a while for him to remember who he was etc...... long story short, he is back on track and much wiser now because of it. He has a good heart and in the end, it served him well. His Mom and Dad were heart sick though...... Good luck.

A confession....... stress eating is a stumbling spot for me. I know it doesn't help. But some days it is oh so tempting. I have NOTHING fun to eat in my house so that helps, but I wish I could just rise above it all.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    My goals for March are:

1) Be able to run on the treadmill for 30 min without stopping. I've been following a program since Nov and should be able to do this

2) lose another 4 pounds. I'd love to be down to 150 by the end of the month. I don't know if that is doable or not, but will be happy as long as I lose something. I usually hit a plateau after losing 5 or 6 pounds, so I'm sort-of expecting that to hit soon. But, I am proud of my progress so far and feel so much better than I did.
  • hate2bheavy
    Options
    I'm creeping closer to 50 everyday and could sure use the advice and motivation from other MFP friends. Glad I found this thread, I will check in often. My goal for March is to lose five more pounds. I seem to have hit a plateau (was previously in Weight Watchers)and can't seem to jumpstart my body again. Friend requests always welcomed :)
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ageists
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    OnlyGrace, I think I have had the same problem as you. In the last 3 years I've probably lost 75 pounds. Unfortunately, it was the same 5 pounds over and over again. But, I finally decided I was going to get the weight off and, since my highest, I have lost 11 pounds and hope the downward trend continues. So, if I can do it, so can you....by the way, I'm 52.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I posted the results of my Feb goals at the end of the Feb thread, it's all there.

I don't set a "numer of pounds to loose" goals because it's not really something I can control. I can control these things, though:

Goals for March:
    Exercise at least 35 hours. :explode:
    Run two miles in 20 minutes (treadmill), walk at lunch time when weather permits.
    Finish Phase One of New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, perfect my form doing lunges!
    Plan food during weekends and follow the plan. :drinker:
    Make the bed, put away my clothes, leave the kitchen tidy.
    Stay cheerful while driving J’Boy to school, even when he's grouchy.

The last two goals are the result of reading "The Happiness Project" - small things that make a big difference to my quality of life.

Have a great day, see you on the other side. :flowerforyou:

Nancy
  • vjhanson5
    vjhanson5 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All!

It's the first of March so I did my measurements and stepped on the scale this morning...WOW what an I opener. February was not a good month for me, worst over the past year. So I decided I needed to refocus on what I know has worked in the past so you'll be seeing my goals on here later today to get myself back on the right path. Until later, have a good day!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to have found this thread for March and will claim my space in the wee hours of the first day. I am so tired of taking one step forward and two steps back that I really plan to make this the month to turn things around.

I hope to get to know this group better as the month progresses.

This. I have issues, didn't think I did but I've been in the 160s for MONTHS. I had a tooth extracted & couldn't eat for 2 days and my weight got down to 161- and somewhere some demon came and shoved all kinds of fattening stuff in my mouth! I don't understand it. So now I like to think I'm back on track but am beginning to think I don't know myself at all.
    I need ... a kick in the rear ... or something. Anyway- I'm here- looks like I'll be here for a long time
    Here's to getting OUT of the 160s in March
  • yoyoung
    yoyoung Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Since I just started a week ago I am going to keep the same goals for March. Barbie, I love the walking dogs for an hour goal. I am on a 30 min dog walk a day goal right now and you inspired me to increase it. I have a little 3 month old Pomeranian. I love all of your posts. Lisa, I have a 28 year old and an 18 year old, I feel your pain. Being consistent has worked but it is so hard! I have been unable to do much excercise due to chronic migraines but you ladies will keep me inspired to keep trying. I started a new preventive for them today and it is supposed to give me more energy also so I am excited!:heart:
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    Happy March! I will be back after work, talk to you all later!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    February was a good month for me. I didn’t miss a day walking the dogs for over an hour every morning. I made the new weight training program a part of my life, added some new exercises, and increased the weights. I did 100 or more squats every day. I walked more than 16,000 steps every day and averaged almost 25,000 steps a day. Yoga is still a struggle for me. I seem to do better with activities that don’t require a mat and lying down.

My March goals are the same except that I’ve increased my daily steps goal to 17,000.

:heart: :bigsmile: Lisa, I don't have children so I don't really know your pain, but please stay in the moment and walk and exercise more to combat the feelings and worries

:flowerforyou: yoyoung, my dogs are active standard poodles.......in April I was walking them for 20 minutes each morning and I've gradually extended the time :bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    My life today is so great today it should have background music
    March goals:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning no matter how cold, wet, windy, or snowy.”
    * Yoga three days a week
    *100 squats a day
    *strength training two days a week (three would be better)
    *17,000 steps a day
  • wjrapp
    wjrapp Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ditto on sooo many comments before mine! I will be 53 in April and have suggled as many of you have between kids, weight gain, low engery, low metabolism, a husband who isn't as dedicated as myself...and I've come to one conclusion: Life can be hard and we can only control so much and we cannot control others, so we need to find support and encouragement where we can, offer what we can to others and try to realize what we can change and make an effort (for our own sake) to change what we can about ourselves.

I love that I found this thread...My goal for March is primarily to:

1. Show up and keep up with what I can (push myself when I need it)
    2. Don't be too hard on myself when I slip
    3. Remember that I didn't get overweight and unhealthy overnight (nor in just 6 mo) and I won't improve without effort and time
    4. Pat myself on the back for the efforts made and bullets avoided (kids and decisions......)
    5. Remember tomorrow is another day and I was fortunate to wake up this morning.....

And I'll probably be friending some of you very soon.....or friend me you like what you read...
    Happy March Ladies.....we can do this
    Wanda
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning my dear friends. February wasn't a good month for me so I have decided that March will be better. I have to get myself back in action. I will be back later to try to post more this month. Marking my spot.

-Robin, Bodi and baby Ritter
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hey Barbie and all the 50+ ladies ....happy March!! Just thought I'd get in early and say hi to everyone....I am not really posting much anymore as I find it too hard to keep up with everyone...but I do check in from time to time and love reading everyone's stories and I have a few of the gals as friends so just use my newsfeed as support these days.

I'm still loving MFP and I just weighed myself and have now lost just over 8kg....haven't updated my ticker just yet as I always seem to fluctuate for a few days when I have a loss...but I'm a third of the way there so am feeling great!

I'm having a bit of a hard time of things at home at the moment....I've posted this on my newsfeed but perhaps someone here might have had a similar experience (maybe not)..... my older son (21) went over seas for 18months as an 18 y/o (never had a girlfriend before, never drank) and came back with a girlfriend 9 months ago.... we have tried to be really supportive and welcomed her into our home....but in fact we have found her quite challenging... not culturally (she is from Iceland)...but she has some fairly major self esteem issues, eating issues, she hit my son and broke his nose one time in a jealous rage after drinking, etc, etc...you get the picture..she is basically very manipulative of him and he doesn't seem at all happy although he says he is...and I really don't think he is using his brain to think these days but rather another part of his anatomy. Anyway she is going home in 4 weeks as she was only able to come here on a tourist visa....but they are going to apply for a defacto visa...and yesterday he asked if we would help with the application (she didn't ask mind you she was in hiding and made him come and talk on his own)....but I had to tell him that we couldn't support the application...that I would be lying to say i thought he was happy and it would be long term, etc etc...I tried to be gentle and not say everything I feel about her...also said i wouldn't do anything to stop them and that if they are able to work things out then that is great (not that I mean that)...but I did say that we wouldn't offer to have her stay in the house again.....

So as you can imagine things are a bit frosty here now.... not sure how we are going to get through the next 4 weeks...I don't know if he has told her...she spends most of her time upstairs in the bedroom and rarely comes and sits with us. My other son feels uncomfortable around them as well and is in fact going out a lot to his girlfriend's rather than be around here....and they were previously very close.

Sorry to have a big rant...particularly as I don't contribute much any more....but just thought all you wonderful 50+ ladies might have some words of advice.... I am feeling a bit miserable...part of me is just trying to not think about it as I really don't think they have much hope of getting the visa even if we did agree to help but certainly not without our help....and i also wonder if it will all just fizzle out when she leaves and he can get back to reality and his friends here (which she doesn't like so they don't see them much)...but in the back of my mind is just this horrible thought that what if he really does try and stick by her....it has just driven such a wedge in our family.

I'm trying not to resort to comfort eating....going to hit the gym instead!

So here's to a great March....happy losing everyone.

:heart: Lisa:flowerforyou:

Sometimes we have to let our kids grow and make their mistakes and be there to pick up the pieces. Doesn't mean we don't love them, and we don't want what is best. Good Luck