WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2012

Options

Replies

• frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness- I haven't had a chance to check in for a few days and I come back to find pages and pages! I started to jot down some notes, but I found I just missed to much. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your conversations. So many inspiring comments!
    Some many of you have done so well in the weight loss department- congratulations and keep up the great work. Good luck to those of you that are looking for new jobs, The right one will come along soon. Hopefully spring time will help the real estate market and those of you who have houses to sell will get the right offer.

Michele- You can return your Lands End purchase directly to a Sears store. No need to pay for shipping that way.

I have done fairly well with my February goals. I have lost the couple of extra holiday pounds that I gained. Once I was given the go ahead from my doctor that I could walk after my recent surgery, I have walked pretty much 45-60 minutes a day for the last 3 weeks. I missed only 2 days.

For March, I am going to try to lose another 2 pounds. I will be able to start back at the gym in another week, so I will try to get there at least 4 days a week.

Heres to a successful month ahead for all of you. :drinker:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to report on February goals or formulate March goals right now, so maybe tomorrow. I will think about March goals while I am swimming tonight.
    Just wanted to tell everyone to have a great March! It came in like a lamb in my neck of the woods.
    I will post the birthday list soon, so if you want added, send me a message.
    To anyone who is wondering about friend requests: feel free to send me one; just mention this thread so I know for sure who you are. Happy Wednesday! Mary
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot -- be back later.
    Linda
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,094 Member
    Options
    Had lunch out today with a friend at Applesbee's. I had their Dijon Chiken with Portabello Mushrooms from their under 550 calorie menu. Ladies, it was wonderful and MFP says it is 450 calories. It's so good, I would get it even if I wasn't trying to lose weight. So, it's a great choice when eating out.
  • scompton54
    scompton54 Posts: 116
    Options
    One of the things that I have noticed is that I often eat when I am bored/ unhappy/ generally unmotivated. When I am working out regularly, keeping engaged with something other than the TV or computer and being social, I have much more control of what goes in my mouth. In February I test drove two new book clubs and did a lot of skiing with my outdoor group.

My goals for March:

Continue to exercise at least 360 minutes per week
    Continue to log on daily and keep track of my food.
    Continue to keep alcohol consumption down to weekends and then in moderation
    Continue to check onto this board regularly because it keeps me motivated

Participate in at least two new social Meetup events
    Do one healthy and social thing per week....skiing, hiking, zumba, whatever
    Restart doing the quick evening tidy up so my house doesn't slip into disarray

I think that's enough for one month :)

Sarah
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Mostly just saving my place but wanted to say…

Thank you to Barbie for all her support with this thread. Ditto to everyone who contributes.

I got my copy of the Happiness Project in the mail. I’m looking forward to reading it.

Lisa, good for you for standing firm but in such a gentle way. It’s not easy I know but I think you’re doing the right thing. I held my tongue when my son was involved with his first girlfriend. They got married. I still held my tongue. Now they have two young boys and are divorced. Would it have made a difference if I’d said something? I’ll never know but it might and I would have done the right thing. I believe being honest is best and it sounds as though you’ve been so gentle about it. Hugs to you.

Realpure, the scale might not be showing it but I bet your body is. Imagine if you weren’t getting any exercise and weren’t watching what you eat. That scale would really be telling you things you don’t want to hear. What you are doing now is so much better than the alternative.

WickedCricket, 30 lbs lost and you’re at least maintaining. That’s huge! Pat yourself on the back.:flowerforyou:

Robin, one day at a time. That’s all we have.

Judy, great goals. Congrat on being in a healthy weight range. That’s wonderful and has got to be good for your back. :flowerforyou:

Janice, 10 lbs lost in February. Wow. That’s wonderful. :flowerforyou:

Goals? Hmm.

- Sarah reminded me about Meetup. Going to Meetup group meetings has made a big change in my life. I almost forgot about it. So, for March, I’ll continue to participate.

- I’ve signed up to be one of the organizers for walks with my favorite Meetup group. That will help me stay motivated. For March, I will keep on walking.

-I hear so many of you talk about steps taken. I’m not quite ready for a pedometer but I’m thinking about it!

- I’ll read the Happiness Project and see what I can apply.

- Most important of all, I’ll keep logging my food and touching bases with all of you.

I’m having a lazy morning. Time to get moving. But. Not. Quite. Yet! :happy:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

I've just got home from my dear friend Nick's funeral. It was a very lovely tribute to him and his two sons spoke eloquently and movingly of their father - it brought so many fun memories of him to mind. His wife kept herself together so well, until I gave her a hug outside the church when we both ended up in floods of tears.

Quite a few of the people who were there hadn't seen me for a good while - many not since I was over 300 lbs. It is always gratifying to get compliments and definitely made me feel a little better. When we got to the after-service reception, there were huge photo boards of Nick throughout his life, including several with me in. Wow, I was enormous!!! The only decent one of me was over thirty years old and I was skinny and wearing a pink leather mini skirt. It just so happens that I still have the skirt (a memento of my youth!) and it is now too big for me in the waist. Yay me!

One other photo that made me smile was one of my DH when he was 16. They were playing cricket at a birthday party and my DH hasn't changed one iota! He is still the same size .... how is that possible? I'm pretty sure that if I look in our attics I will find a decaying portrait of him. Grr, so unfair.

Anyway, I have waffled on a bit and now need to feed DH. I am having fasting blood tests tomorrow, so will try to get an earlyish night.

Have a good day please.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Barbie - thank you ever so much for starting the new thread

I weighed just for kicks from getting back from FL. I showed a loss, don't know how long that'll last, tho

Did an hour of a Jari Love DVD weight today. Tomorrow I'll take the water aerobics. Wonder if a minor miracle happened while I was away and the swimsuit got shipped. I'm betting that it didn't, even tho they told the BBB that it had

Lisa - I hear ya about the gal in your house. WE have had sort-of something similar. Denise is with a guy who we know abuses her but she doesn't see that. So I certainly feel for you. How did we handle it? Well, for one thing we moved to NC. Plus, I exercise and exercise. I would really work out hard when we were in PA, but I'm not working out that hard here in NC. Guess out of sight, out of mind. Unfortunately, as much as it hurts us, sometimes we just have to let the kids learn on their own. Knowing that you raised him right, he'll come back

I was originally going to go to the lunch with the Newcomers, but now I'm thinking twice about it. We need to give the cats the Revolution (for fleas and tics) and trim their nails. I need to get at least milk in the house and pick up the mail later today. Update: we had a leak with our washer, so I never did go. Lately, too many of their functions do you have to commit to, and I like having the flexibility of knowing that if something comes up, I won't be losing anything (money), especially if it's a fair amount of money.

There is this one lady, I think I told you about her, how she wanted to be vp after saying that she'd do it only if no one else wanted it. Well, she's in charge of their gala (which is kind-of like Newcomers prom). Now she's going to assign seats! I feel like I'm back in elementary school. Even in high school you didn't have assigned seats. But she's a real control freak. I'm just so glad that I'm not on this gala committee.

Welcome Grace - we're so glad you found us. Tell us more about yourself. Sometimes it takes a long time to see the results of your hard work. The important thing is how you feel, not so much the number on the scale. Let the MD chart that -- that's what you pay him for anyway. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat.

Sarah - you did great in Feb.

realpure - it sure does help to have nothing in the house when a stress binge occurs. That happened to me in FL, but there really wasn't much that I could have, which worked out fine. Guess that's one of the reasons I try to buy/make things that Vince likes but that I don't. You're so right when you said that getting healthy is very addictive. It is.

hate2bheavy - welcome! You've come to the right place for motivation, that's for sure!

yclayton - happy birthday to your son! You youngster, you!

Virginia - hope you feel better real soon.

Boonster - this IS a great place to be, on many different fronts. Women going thru the same things you are or have gone thru, be they personal or weight-related. I was just reading some blogs of 20-something's. I'm not a prude, but why do they find it so necessary to use foul language? As I've always told my kinds "small minds use small words"

frogmama - wow! you can return Lands End items to a Sears store? That's wonderful! Just wish our Sears had a larger petite department. I think they're doing away with it. Boo hoo! Thanks for telling me

Sarah - your post sounds like I could have written it. I know one of my problems is that I will eat when I'm bored, not when my stomach tells me that it's hungry. What a pain!

I've found some problems with using a pedometer. For one thing, when I clip it onto the waist of a pair of jeans, it never measures the steps. I've also found that sometimes it'll measure a step when I, say, pull down my pants to go to the bathroom. But then again, I do take steps in the a.m. before I put it on, so I guess it all evens out in the end. But I don't know about the jeans business.

Going to post this so that I mark my spot.

Michele
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,216 Member
    Options
    Happy March!

I have all kinds of ambitious goals for March, but will try to be realistic. I will be travelling to North Carolina for 9 days to play two concerts, give a master class and hang out with my mom. Luckily, she's a fitness and good eating freak and will keep me in line! She is 81 and going strong, an inspiration for sure.

So. Goals.

1. Exercise 6 hours per week - start putting in some miles outside! Keep progressing with the intervals program.
    2. Measure food portions more carefully to be sure they are accurate.
    3. Enjoy time with my son during his long school break this month. Or at least drag him out of his room!
    4. Keep alcohol down to my once weekly "free day", and one glass of wine on one other day. (Sarah - we sound like we're on the same track!)

I'm really encouraged tracking measurements, not just weight. Since December I have lost 4 inches on the waist, 2 from hips, and lots of other inches elsewhere. Feels great!

Enjoy the new month -- we're having another big snowstorm, but it's beautiful and the snowshoes are finally getting some work for this year!

liselyn
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Grrr! Came home from a most enjoyable afternoon running pre-trip errands to find our water well out again! I REFUSE to have a bad day :flowerforyou:
  • waferzdog
    waferzdog Posts: 29
    Options
    WOW - I can only imagine what your going through - but you did the right thing. If they are meant to be together, they will. How can you support someone you barely know? Your son will come around - you ARE is mother and he does love you. Hang in there.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    What a day. I had two grandkids this morning while their mama went to school. This is the last semester and then she's graduated! Yay! My livingroom became a huge tent for the 4 yr old and the 9 month old just wanted to be held because he's teething. All in all it was a fine morning. My youngest daughter came over with the newborn grandson and he just laid there and slept of course. :) All of 8 days old now I guess he's allowed to just sleep through the day.

After lunch thought I'd get some errands done and that's when the drama began. I was minding my own business. I had gone to the tailor's to drop off a jacket, went to the post office and bought stamps and on a whim decided to check out some of the spring decor at Hobby Lobby. I was sauntering through the store when they came stampeding down the aisle after me. I dashed around the corner and they were there waiting for me! I literally gasped and said "NO!" quite loudly, at least loud enough that it got the attention of the lady behind me (who was standing there in shock at what was going on). They drug me to the register and forced me to pay and then they literally took me to the ground, pried open my mouth and threw themselves in.... the mini Cadbury creme eggs got me.

and nobody even came to my defense.
  • yclayton
    yclayton Posts: 44
    Options
    What a day. I had two grandkids this morning while their mama went to school. This is the last semester and then she's graduated! Yay! My livingroom became a huge tent for the 4 yr old and the 9 month old just wanted to be held because he's teething. All in all it was a fine morning. My youngest daughter came over with the newborn grandson and he just laid there and slept of course. :) All of 8 days old now I guess he's allowed to just sleep through the day.

After lunch thought I'd get some errands done and that's when the drama began. I was minding my own business. I had gone to the tailor's to drop off a jacket, went to the post office and bought stamps and on a whim decided to check out some of the spring decor at Hobby Lobby. I was sauntering through the store when they came stampeding down the aisle after me. I dashed around the corner and they were there waiting for me! I literally gasped and said "NO!" quite loudly, at least loud enough that it got the attention of the lady behind me (who was standing there in shock at what was going on). They drug me to the register and forced me to pay and then they literally took me to the ground, pried open my mouth and threw themselves in.... the mini Cadbury creme eggs got me.

and nobody even came to my defense.

yikes! those cadbury eggs are vicious!
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm still here! I'll check back in a bit. Soooo much to read and it's only 3/1!:laugh:
  • kckramp
    kckramp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well I am almost back to healthy. I have even exercised the last 2 days. I did walk the dog most of the days I was sick. The best part of being sick was I had to go to the doctor. I had not been since April when I first started this weight loss journey. He was super excited by my weight loss. He shook my hand and congratulated me 5 times. Told me how impressed he was with what I had done. He ordered new blood work. I was borderline diabetic and taking cholesterol medicine. Well the office called and all of my blood levels are great. They told me to stop taking the cholesterol medicine and my blood sugar is great.
    February goals were to lose 2 pounds and I lost 2.6. I also wanted to complete the 30 day shred. Well almost there. I finished 25 days before I got sick. I was a little disappointed in the results. I was expecting to lose some inches on waist and arms but did not really lose any. It did make me stronger. One day I was doing another workout and noticed I was doing real push ups and I had never done that before.
    March goals: I would like to reach my overall weight loss goal but that is another 3.8 pounds, which is more than I usually lose I will be happy with any weight loss. I know I will get there fairly soon if not this month then next. I plan to exercise every day. I have to walk my dog and I like to do some other exercises everyday.
    Hope everyone has a great month and makes progress on their journey
    KC
  • brunsda
    brunsda Posts: 78
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people!! :flowerforyou:
    Ladies who are feeling ill - get well soon.

Janice - That was a great loss last month!d

Laura - thanks for sharing the recipe. I am hoping my son likes it.

Sorry I do not have time to respond to more posts tonight. I do read them and enjoy hearing what is going on.

I splurged today and ate at Logan's Roadhouse with my friend who is moving back to Connecticut next week. I'm really going to miss her.:sad:

Have a great month everyone!
    Dawn
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow....what an AMAZING Group of women we have here...so many emotions fill this thread that I know each of us has felt. Reading these posts and knowing that so many of you "get it" is such a warm and welcome feeling. I "caught a spot" this morning so I didn't miss anything...and 8 hours later there's lots to catch up on. :heart:

Lisa...I admire the way you are handling your situation. You've let your son know that his parents aren't always going to be there to bail him out o f a sticky situation. Our daughter's first boyfriend was a real butt...and as hard as we tried because she "loved" him...we could never warm up to him. They have to discover for themselves that it's not going to work. Keep the faith...:flowerforyou:

Welcome to the new folks and congratulations to those of you who met their goals for February! You're an inspiring group of women.

To those who are frustrated...hang in there...this too shall pass, and this wonderful group is right here to help you through it.

Marcelynh...Oh my...the vision of those Cadbury Eggs attacking you just made me laugh out loud. You've got to watch those things...it has something to do with the fact that they are laid by bunnies I think!

April 3rd brings me to the end of my "Shedding Pounds for Hounds" for which I had a pledge of 25 pounds at final weigh-in that day. I'm down 15 pounds, very motivated, want to make money for the Grey Muzzle Rescue Group...so my March goals are set with the vision of hitting my goal for them.

Lose 10 pounds by final weigh-in.
    Average 60 minutes of walking every day.
    Purchase & use exercise videos.
    Cut out all wine on week nights...eliminate the "1 glass of red wine is good for you" attitude, because typically 1 glass leads to 2 glasses...totally un-necessary calories.
    Finish "The Happiness Project"

On a bright note...I've head at least 3 people at work ask me if I'm losing weight this week...that's always an uplifting question:bigsmile: :blushing: :bigsmile: :blushing:

Have a wonderful evening ladies...thank you for all of your support, I could not succeed in this journey without you. :wink: :smile: :happy:

MEG
  • kleinbuenstorf
    Options
    Hello everyone!!!:flowerforyou:

Found you and I can't believe we are already at page 3!!!! :laugh:

Looking back at February:
    Walked 134 miles,
    lost 4 pounds,
    went to Yoga class every week
    and did a lot of garden work!!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Goals for March:
    100 miles in March.
    loose some more weight, the lower carb count is working for me, so I'm staying on that for a while longer!!
    and stay very healthy!!! :happy:

Thank you, Barbie for keeping us going!! You are an inspiration! :flowerforyou:
    Lisa, my thoughts and prayers are with you!! :heart:
    quileryoyo, I know you can do it!!! :happy:

Welcome to all the newcomers, this is a great spot!!:happy:
    Congrats to all the weight lost!!!:laugh:
    Re dedication is a very good thing!!!:drinker:

Wishing everyone an awesome new month and a wonderful evening!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Desiree
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Thanks for the comments my lovely MFP friends...I knew a lot of your would be able to relate to my situation with my son and his girlfriend... and even those who can't would offer support..... we will get through this and as several of you have said he needs to live his life and live with his choices and it is our job to just be there....unfortunately the circumstances of them having to live with us meant we had to be a part of it....I really wish we hadn't ....and I am actually prepared to lose him for a bit if that what he needs to do...I am confident that our bond is strong enough to survive and he will always love us as we love him.

I've just had a big morning at the gym and walking the dog...amazing how exercise gives you a much more positive outlook on life isn't it!
    :heart: :heart: Lisa
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

Happy March! Boy we are getting tons of entries the very first day. I am back on track after a week of bad choices. I am staying under my goal for the last week. I just wished I could get back to the low carb eating I used to. I can do it, I just have to say no to things like pizza at work, and a husband who wants potatos and pasta.

I slowed down on my walking in February, but started Kettle worx workouts which burn way more calories.

I am still running stairs every day at work.

I have stayed the same weight in February, but I think I gained muscle with Kettle worx weights.

My pants are looser, so even though I did not loose, I did go down one pants size.....yea!:bigsmile: