WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2012

Options

Replies

• TeTeAngel
    TeTeAngel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I am doing good with the logging portion. Now to restart my walking. The mistake was to stop! I have been cooking and doing house work all day. I prepared food to take to work for my lunches. There is a new gym opening near my home the end of this month. In the mean time I need to be disciplined, come home after work, and put on a walking tape.

Good luck to all of you in achieving your goals.
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the friendship and support I have already received I am so greatful for the help I am looking so forward to this journey it is going to be diffucult I know but this makes it so much easier:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: We are home from a lovely weekend out of town. We stayed with friends. We had never been to their house and were delighted to see their beautiful property, interesting home, and comfortable guest room. They fixed baked chicken, roasted potatoes and salad for dinner. I was able to do my 100 squats and 17,000 steps each day but didn’t log food or exercise. I got to use their computer for a few minutes Saturday morning to log in to MFP. We had meals in restaurants and I was careful about what I ate but probably not so careful about portion control, but no desserts.

:bigsmile: I’ve read all the posts and have been thinking welcoming thoughts for the new members and cheering for all of you who are doing weight training. It is my new passion. The pets have been boarded all weekend and won’t be picked up until tomorrow morning so it’s very quiet here. :sad: I had to walk first with Jake and then alone this afternoon to get to my 17,000 step goal and I’ll have to walk alone again in the morning. Fortunately we won’t be going out of town again until the middle of April. :bigsmile:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: JipsyJudy, I love the image of you doing squats in line in the airport…..I’m not a “public squatter” on this trip I did squats in the stalls of several public restrooms.

:bigsmile: Blissfuldrake, I am so glad to hear that Vic is home safely.:bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    My life today is so great today it should have background music (maybe the Clint Black song “Spend my time”
    “I’m gonna spend my time like it’s going out of style….”
    March goals:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning no matter how cold, wet, windy, or snowy.”
    * Yoga three days a week
    *100 squats a day
    *strength training two days a week (three would be better)
    *17,000 steps a day

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! You are all so motivating. I have an 8k Saturday. My original goal when I signed up for it a few months ago was to run it. But I have been terrible about running, so now I plan on running 2 miles and walking the rest. Better than nothing I guess. Goals for this week:

run/walk three times so I know I can finish in the two hour limit!
    Stay under calorie count
    Try my new Zumba program (I have had it for two weeks and it isn't out of the package yet!)
    Read this thread everyday to stay motivated and get inspired

I hope you all have a great week!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Ahoy Maties :bigsmile:

Wind blowin' a gale this morning, we're in for some rough seas and pelting rain. It's cold again, too, they spoiled us with a few nice days of spring-like weather last week. Such teasers. Indoor aerobics here I come. Need to get back to it, anyway. You're all inspiring me to hop on the strength-training bandwagon, and boy do I need it. :tongue:

Special thought for Monday....Hellooo Salad Sistas! :drinker:

TeTe, friigirl, fitz1191, FitnSassy, and all of the other new people I've missed - :flowerforyou: - welcome and let me tell you a little about the "Salad Sistas Challenge". I need a reminder myself, so here goes nuttin'. The idea is to fix a large, satisfying salad (totaling 250-300 calories) once a day, say at noon time. Heaps of dark greens (the darker the better) like spinach, chard, and kale mixed with lettuce of your choice. Chop a varitey of vegetables to put on top of the greens, crunchy things like cauliflower, broccoli, onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery, cukes and radishes. I always add tomato. Once your plate of vegs is made (my plate = 60 calories), you can start getting creative with toppings. Sunflower seeds, or a sprinkling of nuts of any kind, feta or bleu cheese crumbles, mandarin oranges, garbanzo (or any) beans, cottage cheese, hard boiled egg, a bit of meat, maybe a few croutons, etc. Use the dressing of your choice. My old standby is extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar with a drop of dijon mustard and a clove of pressed garlic. Lately I've been thinning it with a tiny bit of water, just to make it go farther, then shake shake shake, shake your bootay :laugh:

Dawn, no kidding about the maps. Gosh it's so easy to get lost up there on the plateau. Terribly unexciting as well. :indifferent:

Barbie and Michele, mercy me you two are soooo inspiring with your workouts. :flowerforyou:

Meg, I had a chuckle about your hubby warning you that "butter will be involved" in the seafood medley. Tee hee :happy:

Oh goodness, look at the clock. :noway: I'd better get a move-on. Have a happy Monday everyone, here we go into another beautiful week - go grab some greens and let's get those potassium levels up there!

jb
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies.

I haven't had a chance to catch up or post for a couple of days, although I am dedicated to logging.

I'm having awful IBS trouble at present and my tummy is really bloated. It's funny because my waist is 24" but I have a horrible saggy, baggy bit below my waist. I hate it with a passion! No amount of exercise makes any difference to it. I just have to suffer the spanx et al.

If I was allowed to, I'd have a lower body lift like a shot. My doctor said no because of my heart surgery. Can you believe that I've had my new heart valve a year in two weeks? Boy, I've come far!!

One thing I am proud of is my legs - apart from my inner thighs. I was trying on some new shoes the other day and heard two of the shop assistants whispering that they would die to have legs like mine! Now that was a NSV! My DH always says I have great pins. Years of dancing and miles of walking.

Any way my gorgeous grandtwins are waking from their afternoon nap so I'd better post this.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • 09Demelza
    09Demelza Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello all on this thread

What a brilliant, inspirational bunch you are - thank you for sharing all your stuff.

In this month my goals are:

Keep logging in food diary
    Keep walking my puppy every day (15weeks old, Cockapoo, my first dog, gorgeous!) for one hour.
    Add other regular exercise - rowing machine in corner of room takes up too much space not to be used
    Start my new job (after 20yrs at home as a housewife and mum)
    Get better at posting and joining in threads on MFP

I have approx 8lbs to go (41lbs gone since May 2011) This will put me at my target weight of 63kg (apologies for mixing metric/imperial measures - I find it stops me obsessing about every ounce) and hopefully into a "safe" UK size 12 rather than borderline 12/14.

Wishing you all success in your goals for the month. :flowerforyou:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Monday, a bit overcast.

Welcome to all of you newbies:flowerforyou: you have found the best thread of encouragement on MFP.

Yesterday we went and saw This Means War, lots of laugh out loud parts:laugh: Then went to pick up my wedding ring at the jewelers and he had left a message that it needed more repair, so we left it and are waiting for him to call with an estimate of what the repair will be.

I still ache a bit from my kettlebell exercises on Saturday:ohwell: but will do them again tonight because I'm looking to see some changes in this body this year:wink:

Went a bit over on the sodium yesterday so today I'm really watching it and drinking plenty of water to get it flushed out.

Everyone have a good day, keep moving and drinking your water:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Ah, Monday

Nancy, what are you doing sitting on the couch with your computer and your coffee? It’s .8:23, you’re going to be late. Get up, get….Oh, right, Spring Break. Sigh of bliss. :smile: There’s a dusting of fresh snow on the mountains but the valley is clear. Only the snow-drops have braved the season, but we expect to see crocuses soon.

We have had three evenings of rich food and wine or beer, all associated with relaxing on holidays. :ohwell: I must now follow the example of Judy and others who have been on vacation and get myself back on the straight and narrow road. They do say that a little change in routine is good for a person, but given that it’s the routine that got me 40 pounds overweight, I doubt if it’s a good long-term option! I also doubt if I will see any losses on the scale this week.

Judy, your travel story set my imagination going. I’d love to be at South Beach in Florida (sounds very exotic) and watch the fitness freaks at play. Heck, I’d like to join them. Hope your flight home was uneventful.

Meg – congratulations on all the hard work that’s got your scale going in the right direction. :drinker:

Sarah, how’s the skiing in the east? Slushy spring rain here yesterday, but I’ll bet there’s still snow in the mountains. We’re going skiing tomorrow. Yeah!

DeirdreAMoore – you will have that bikini body, I am sure.:wink: Have fun with the weight lifting.

Kackie – My favorite place to take J’boy when he was a toddler was the small fenced playground at our Recreation Center. Fenced. :bigsmile: Yes! No escape, no parental (or grand-parental) panic zone.

JB, so pleased to hear you’re on your way down, and that chicken is toast (I mean roast….) I live in one of those exotic enclaves that does not observe the tyranny of daylight savings time. No lost sleep or missing precious hours of springtime for us! I hope you folks who lost an hour overnight :yawn: made it to your Sunday appointments on time.

Laura, my body aches in sympathy following your kettle-bell workshop. The instructor of our fitness circuit added kettle-bells to the routine. Oh baby that’s hard work. :explode:

Yclaton – Reading your story of the weekend with grandchildren and food – isn’t it interesting how, once we are more tuned into our bodies, we notice the impact of too much fat & salt much more? You’ll work it off in no time.

Michelle – You are a multi-talented one! :noway: First I learn that you do all kinds of exercises, then you play mah-jong, then you cook like a pro and now you sew too! Cutting down table cloths indeed. No wonder you don’t gain weight, you don’t have time to eat!

TeTeAngel – Yes, come home from work, put on the walking tape :glasses: and get out there. The only thing that works for me is to schedule my workouts on the way home from work, so I don’t actually get into the house until I’m finished for the day.

Barbie, I am going to look up the song “Spend my time like it’s going out of style…” :heart:

Tallen – good luck on that run. As they say, “no matter how slowly you go you are lapping everyone on the couch.”

Amanda, good to hear from you. Great “pins” indeed! Spanx aren’t the worst thing in the world, all things considered.

Have a great day,

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Wind blowin' a gale this morning, we're in for some rough seas and pelting rain. It's cold again, too, they spoiled us with a few nice days of spring-like weather last week. Such teasers. Indoor aerobics here I come. Need to get back to it, anyway.
    jb--are you from WA state by any chance--that's exactly what it's like here. Will Spring ever arrive? I miss my golf.
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Nancy! Thanks! That was just what I needed! I love this place!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    .[/quote]
    jb--are you from WA state by any chance--that's exactly what it's like here. Will Spring ever arrive? I miss my golf.
    [/quote]
    Issy, I'm your neighbor in Portland :wink:
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    The weather is the same here in Vancouver, BC, too. In fact, the wind was blowing so strong last night I didn't sleep a wink. :yawn: Talking a half day of my remaining 2011 holidays and - well, I was planning to go home and sleep - but I did say I'd pick up New Rules at the bookstore and look for a bikini, sooooo maybe the nap can wait. I'll sleep better tonight if I don't nap anyway, right? Shopping is just as relaxing - oh wait - I'm shopping for a bikini. This is NOT the way to relax! :laugh:
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It is a beautiful sunny day with above normal temps here in South Dakota. Even though with daylight savings time it is dark when I get up, I did get on the treadmill this morning and did some kettle worx workout. I had gotten away for the long work outs, but this week I am back on track.

Goal for March:
    Walk the treadmill 3x a week
    Kettle worx workout 3x a week
    Stay under 1500 calories

I really need to get back into loosing. I have been at a plateau way too long.

Have a great day ladies!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Talen, I have boundless admiration for you if you can run two miles and walk the rest of the 8K. By next year, you’ll be running the whole thing and more if you never, never, never give up.

:flowerforyou: Jb, thanks for the great salad description…we had the same weather up here.

:flowerforyou: Amanda, I, too, am frustrated and challenged by the jiggly parts that won’t go away. Parts of me get thin enough to feel my bones and other parts are like padding for contact sports.

:flowerforyou: Demelza, congratulations on the weight you’ve lost and your great goals……keep checking in with us each day and you’ll have the success you are seeking….I am a dog walker, too, and find it to be very satisfying exercise.

:flowerforyou: Laura, I love it when I ache from my exercise because it tells me that I challenged myself.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, I read something today that said that lunges were the best exercise for your butt, so I’ll be adding them to my routine….starting with no weights until I can do them without tipping over. Someday I want to be able to do them with weights on my shoulders like you do.

:flowerforyou: Issy, we had the same weather over here.

:flowerforyou: Deirdre, good luck on the bikini body…….where does one wear a bikini around Vancouver, BC? Are you going somewhere warm?

:bigsmile: Beth40, your goals sound great and attainable.

:bigsmile: The dogs loved their walk this afternoon. They would have walked longer but I had just finished my weight training and didn’t have as much energy as usual.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where it was drizzly all day, windy in the morning, and the power went out for over an hour so hubby built a fire to keep us warm.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,371 Member
    Options
    tallen - good luck on your run

Did 20 min of yoga this morning then an hour of extreme pump. Tomorrow I'm planning to do some incline intervals on the treadmill. It's this guy at the Y's birthday Wed. so I made him a Sunshine Cheesecake. Really, not low on the calories but he's a big guy so I think he can manage.

Demelza - good luck on your job!

Nancy - How I WISH I didn't gain weight! Thanks for the compliment. Really trying to be good today.

Last night a lady called and asked if we could have bunco on the 20th at my house. Me being me said "no problem". I have a board meeting at the Y (only 2 more to go, yea!!! that morning, then mahjongg, then bunco at night. I probably won't go to the Y meeting in May since we're thinking of going to see Bryan) Than after that I'm off that board!!!!

A few years ago I bought a pair of Reeebok KOBO IV white sandals. They are so light and waterproof, I'd like to get some more. Only I can't find pure white on the Internet. I'm trying calling Reebok. They are so very nice. Hope they can find them for me at an outlet.

Oh well...I'm over a bit on my calories for today. I cut up the fudge and the rice kirspie bars that I made for Jessica and I had to try some of them. So much for my good intentions.

Did I tell you about the result of my swimsuit debacle? You remember how I complained to the BBB and all. Well, I got *a* bathingsuit in the mail. Not what I ordered, but I had come to the conclusion that I would just be wiping that payment off, and I get a Speedo in the mail. Now it doesn't say "chlorine resistant" but even if it lasts only 4 months, at least I got SOMETHING for my money. Another lady who complained got hers. Honestly, I think they sent it to me just to shut me up, but whatever......

Jessica wants us to come up this weekend. I already portioned out some baby carrots, have chickpeas that I can take, portioned out some buffalo jerky, made some turkey sandwiches to take with us. I'll probably take some fruit and drinks, maybe some dried fruit, too. Right now I'm doing a load of whites so that I can start packing. Yes, we aren't leaving until Thursday, but no sense waiting until the last minute (like Vince did when we went to FL....lol)

Feeling sort-of lazy, maybe it was all those nibbles of the fudge, the rice krispie bar, and the magic cookie bar that got to me. I'm going to watch some TV, then probably get to bed.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies:

So sorry for being so out of the loop for the past while, but I will try to be more with it :tongue:

Our house has sold, firm :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: One stress down. Now we will just have to start trying to pack and that should be fun :laugh: The condo we have bought is nice though, I like it, it is big (1500 sq. ft), 2 bedrooms and a family room, but it is still smaller than here, so we will still definitely be downsizing :sad:

I had so many posts to catch up on. Happy Birthday to those I missed, sorry about that :flowerforyou:

I am looking forward to the new condo also because it has a gym and an indoor pool and that should help me with my exercise. I have been really slacking lately in the exercise department :ohwell: I have not been eating so well either, so I need to get back right on track and I hope to start right away.

We leave for our cruise in the Caribbean on March 24th and of course I never lost the weight I wanted to :frown: But for sure when I get home from the cruise, I have to get myself on a really strict program again.

My bosses are away again so I hope I can catch up on some paper work this week.

Take care, My Friends. I will try to get more regular with my posting again too.

Love, Cathy xx
  • brunsda
    brunsda Posts: 78
    Options
    Monday evening, sun is starting to set. So nice to have the light a little longer. The red bud trees are starting to bud. Love all those shades of pink. :flowerforyou:

Yvonne - Sounds like your weekend was overflowing with fun. Lily had so much success for her 1st show. How exciting!
    Michele - It sounds like your weekend was busy. I wish I had some of your energy!. you get so much accomplished. Could you maybe send me a little.
    Tallen - What a great goal you have of doing an 8K!. I bet reaching that finish line will be such a great reward! Looking forward to hearing about it.
    jb - thanks for sharing the salad sistas info. I was wondering about what that was. :laugh:
    Amanda - How wonderful to hear such a lovely compliment.
    Demelza - Congratulations on your weight loss success. You have some good goals set for the month.
    Beth40n2 - Sounds like you had a good workout. Your goals for the month may help you get past that "stuck" place.
    Cathy - I just did that whole packing and moving thing a few months ago. Lots of work and good for burning calories too. Enjoy your cruise!
    Barbie - Doing squats in the public toilet made me laugh.:laugh:

Have a great week everyone!!!
    Dawn
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies...:flowerforyou:
    Daylight savings time is kicking my butt. Alarm went off to walk on the treadmill, and as soon as my brain registered that it was "really" 4 am and not "really 5am...I reset the clock and slept another 45 minutes. We've just now finished dinner & cleanup and it's 8:30 pm. I did do 15 minutes on the treadmill this evening to ease my guilty conscience.:blushing:

Dawn...I'm with you....loving the "light later", but still adjusting to going to work in the dark again.

Michele...glad you got a bathing suit...sorry it isn't what you ordered. The squeaky wheel gets the oil...and that's okay when you're getting greased! Hula Hoop Wii sounds intriguing!

Barbie...I'm sure you're glad to have both your pooches back home with you. Something about pets completes a home.

Beth & Laura...please enlighten me as to what Kettle work is please...I am not familiar with it at all.

Deidre...sounds like you had a GREAT weekend...and a wonderful start to the week.

Nancy...enjoy your break...I'm so ready for one myself. Four weeks & hubby & I head to the mountains for a 4-day getaway. It can't get here fast enough!

JB...our seafood dinner Saturday night got bumped to Sunday due to my husband's screaming desire for wings. We went out for them, and I got a Greek Chicken Wrap that was very tasty. I managed to convince him last night that grilling and basting with butter/garlic was in our best interest. The Seafood Kabobs were excellent...and I didn't feel like I had totally sinned. I did melt him some extra butter so he didn't feel deprived. Your Plateau City story cracked me up...and made me realize it is a place we "all must go" at sometime during our weight loss journey.

Tallen Welcome...I'll be interested to see how you like your Zumba...I've been considering it myself.

TeteAngel & Fitz1191,SharryC, FitNSassy,FriiGirl.. Welcome..you have come to the right spot for support, compassion and humor! I love this group!

Yclayton...Weekends happen...and weekends with kids & grandkids are special. Just pick yourself up & brush yourself off...it will be okay.

Realpure...ahhh...you obviously are scoring high in the "Favorites Substitute" category..Enjoy it!

09Demelza...Welcome...to you & your new puppy! Lots of dog lovers here! Congrats on the awesome loss!

Amanda...You are such an inspiration. When I see your ticker with your weight loss it makes me KNOW that I CAN DO THIS!!!!
    Geri...I think the key is you are restarting...and I also think that the wonderful support of this group will keep you on track. I know that many of these lovely ladies have been together for a good long time. I get so much positive stuff from these ladies that I cannot see myself going backwards.

Kackie...I know you are totally enjoying your grand-babies! So happy for you!

To the rest of the crew that I missed...please know I read your posts...just running out of time to address each of you.

Weight Watchers weigh-in tomorrow...hoping for a better result than last week. We have a new leader as the old one got a different job. The new leader is a man...which I think will be very interesting. He's lost 125 pounds with weight watchers. Looking forward to gettnig to know him.

Healthy Tuesday to everyone!
    MEG
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I am in Texas right now and it is HOT!. I miss my nice cool wet PNW. I will be back to it soon enough. I had to eat a steak with all the trimmings tonight because it just wouldn't be right that my first visit to Texas (Ft. Worth in the Stockyards) didn't include cow. I am fighting a flu off and I feel like crap so its off to bed (I hate sleeping alone in hotels) I used to like to travel on business but I don't really care for it anymore. oh well. have a great evening ladies.

Robin (missing her Bodi boy and Ritter pup)