objectified at the gym (rant)

Options

Replies

• sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    (just adding to your rant!) :smile: When I used to live in Los Angeles you would have genetically altered women strutting around the gym in their hot spandex skimpy outfit to get attention from the guys. I never saw them break a sweat. Every once in a while I would see them on the treadmill and of course their chest wouldn't move, since it was fake!
    So the TV isn't always where you see it...it can happen right in front of you! Thank God, now my gym is a more older crowd with people that are working out for health reasons! I'm glad to be out of L.A. where the guys also would be so concerned about their image!
    It is sad that everything is so visual. I'd rather be judged on my performance and strength, then looks! Even though I lost 36 lbs., people look at me and still say "fat, lazy"...Little do they know how hard I train!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Every creature on the planet struts it's stuff for the opposite sex, why are humans supposed to be different?
    The males of the species strut their stuff for the females. As far as I know nobody in the animal kingdom is making a living off the backs of another being. I'm not blaming anyone in particular. And there is nothing wrong with dressing to feel good about yourself. I'm just saying that as long as there are people out there that will allow themselves to be used then stereotypes will continue. IE. - if women promote themselves as sex objects then men will continue to view us in the same way. Be sexy for your partner....not every Tom, **** and Harry that turns on the tv., reads a magazine, or rents a video.

Edit: How funny! Richard's name is apparently a no-no. :laugh:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    (just adding to your rant!) :smile: When I used to live in Los Angeles you would have genetically altered women strutting around the gym in their hot spandex skimpy outfit to get attention from the guys. I never saw them break a sweat. Every once in a while I would see them on the treadmill and of course their chest wouldn't move, since it was fake!
    So the TV isn't always where you see it...it can happen right in front of you! Thank God, now my gym is a more older crowd with people that are working out for health reasons! I'm glad to be out of L.A. where the guys also would be so concerned about their image!
    It is sad that everything is so visual. I'd rather be judged on my performance and strength, then looks! Even though I lost 36 lbs., people look at me and still say "fat, lazy"...Little do they know how hard I train!

I live in Orange County and I'm a genetically altered female and I do break a sweat on the treadmill. My breasts actually do move and look too real for me to be quite honest.

I'm a little irritated that people keep bringing up implants as a problem or something that makes me objectified. They were MY CHOICE to buy and I didn't get them to make some guy happy. I think breast are VERY feminine and they were the best money that I ever spent. I was a little shallow in the gene pool when it came to that area so I remedied it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    IcePrincess:
    you aren't genetically altered, you're physically altered. (your DNA didn't change, just appearance)

here's why I think people bring it up:

I think it becomes a problem when a girl feels she has to be like the MTV images or else she feels bad about herself. When a girl feels like she has to have major surgery, with life-long implications, in order to feel okay, because she doesn't feel good about her own natural self. That part worries me, as a teacher, as a mother, as a woman. Major surgery is being taken pretty lightly in these matters, and that's worrisome.

I'm not judging you for getting implants. If you wanted them, and you got them, makes no difference to me. Doesn't have any affect on me or my life at all. If you are happy with your decision, then that's none of my business or concern, and every woman should be free to make a decision for herself in this area.

But I work with 7th graders, and I do see how much they are influenced by the images surrounding them, and it is heartbreaking for a young girl to feel she isn't good enough, or have poor self-esteem because of our society's preference for large breasts.

The phrase you used: I was a little shallow in the gene pool when it came to that area, so I remedied it. That sounds like you were "fixing" a "problem". That's a little :ohwell: , because you were perfectly healthy and acceptable as you were. It isn't like we are talking about repairing a cleft palate, or removing a tumor.

Again, I'm not judging you. My Mom and Sister both have 'em. I tried like hell to convince my sister of her beauty and worth and tried to talk her into changing her mind. But she didn't feel good enough about herself as nature made her. That makes me sad, because she is the most exquisite creature on earth, and it makes me sad that MTV told her she wasn't good enough as she was.
  • MissGorgeous
    MissGorgeous Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    my gym played...battle of the bods today... hahahahaha
    stupid show....google it....hilarious!
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    There are those who feel complete within themselves, and those who don't. I love my Plastic surgeon! a few years ago had a brow lift, upper and lower lids done and dermabrasion around my mouth. Why, because I no longer liked what I saw in the mirror, and finally some dumb waitress asked me to introduce her to my husband, she thought he was my son. I am totally happy with me! the implant set at the gym, I applaud every one of you. I hope your Surgeon did a fantastic job.

The nasty comments by those who never went to the Plastic Surgeon seem to be riddled with Jealousy if you ask me. I don't go to the gym because I am perfect, I'm sure no one does. but casting stereotypical statements like "fake boobs" etc. is alarming, Lots of women have implants due to reconstruction after cancer, or a single underdeveloped breast due to a birth defect. Judge not! Fix whatever you think you need to fix about yourself, be it at the gym or the plastic surgeons office, but keep your negativity about what you think about others to yourself, the world will be a nicer place for it.

As for me I plan on going out beautiful, in my own eye, not for anyone but me! Kicking and screaming to feel like the hottest old lady in town. Amen
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Momma- gimme a break.
    99.9% of women did not buy fake boobs to correct a birth defect. They bought em because they wanted to look like Pamela Anderson. Because that's what MTV told them was the definition of "hot".

Nobody made any nasty comments about plastic surgery, just concerns about little girls who learn very early that they are not all right the way they are, and must "FIX" things that are "WRONG" with their appearance. THAT is sad.

Correction of a defect is one thing. Committing to a lifelong series of surgeries in order to conform to MTV's idea of attractive is ANOTHER.

Daddy never looked like your son. sheesh.

Plastic surgery doesn't change anything except your outer appearance. If you don't feel complete within yourself before, you still are sthe same person afterwards. (Jocelyn Wildenstein...:huh: )
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I WANT MY MTV EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Money for Nothing
    by Dire Straits

Mark Knopfler great lead guitar and lead vocals
    rare combination
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options

Money for Nothing
    by Dire Straits

rare combination

were you objectifed by this song, Dave? :huh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Money for Nothing
    by Dire Straits

rare combination

were you objectifed by this song, Dave? :huh:

I may have been too stoned the first time I heard it to worry about such a silly thing
  • czewwhat
    Options
    Momma- gimme a break.
    99.9% of women did not buy fake boobs to correct a birth defect. They bought em because they wanted to look like Pamela Anderson. Because that's what MTV told them was the definition of "hot".

Nobody made any nasty comments about plastic surgery, just concerns about little girls who learn very early that they are not all right the way they are, and must "FIX" things that are "WRONG" with their appearance. THAT is sad.

Correction of a defect is one thing. Committing to a lifelong series of surgeries in order to conform to MTV's idea of attractive is ANOTHER.

Daddy never looked like your son. sheesh.

Plastic surgery doesn't change anything except your outer appearance. If you don't feel complete within yourself before, you still are sthe same person afterwards. (Jocelyn Wildenstein...:huh: )

You my beautiful daughter are on a quest to fix what you feel is wrong with you, ie your weight. So am I, who we are on the inside is not visible to people on the street, unless we actually interact with them. What we look like is. If Suzie spandex at the gym wants to look like Pamela Anderson, good for her! I will fix my flaw, overweight and flabby, because I want to for me and because I am tired of how others perceive me. being told by some sales clerk to go to Lane Bryant because we don't carry your size is just not good enough any more. Plastic surgery is a personal choice, the end. it falls under the noneya category. We only live once, be happy all! Shame on the parents that let their children watch MTV anyway!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I do not know any men that like anoreic D cup women...NONE

so you are doing the same thing you are complaining about

Well if you would look at the origin of my comments, you would see that it wasn't really about me complaining. To be quite frank, though I can see why women would be bothered by this, it doesn't really play a huge part in my life. I was simply commenting on the post to address the fact that it isn't as simple as she put it! And for anorexic D cup women, just because you don't know any men that like that... doesn't mean that don't exist. I know a few myself. I also know men that don't find it attractive. However, it is on the front cover of the swimsuit issue (a mens magazine) and several others. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the swimsuit issue is the highest selling issue for sports illustrated. So obviously men like it.

So read this as complaining, or read it as me stating facts. That is the beauty of the internet, the reader gets to add whatever inflection he or she chooses regardless of the originator's intent. :drinker:

Men aren't getting the SI swimsuit edition to see the skinny big boobed women... they are actually hoping to see the boobs and butts themselves. The skinny body is just a method of transport for the essential body parts. :laugh:
  • Kennie
    Kennie Posts: 31
    Options
    I think its all how you look at the videos. Im a former dancer (not THAT kind, get your minds out of the gutter haha!) and when I look at the *****cat dolls I feel very motivated. I am not going to walk around in a bikini to work (Im a teacher so it could cause controversy!) or slap my *kitten* and shack it for the world to see, but those girls are healthy and VERY talented dancers. I look at their videos and not only does their music pump me up while doing cardio but they motivate me to get toned again.
    Just my opinion :happy:
    For the other comments...I can be the biggest tomboy and love getting messy with tackle football in the rain and snow, but I also LOVE shoes and dressing up! I dont do it for anyone but myself because I think things look good or cute. When I feel I look good I feel wonderful!

My pet peeve at the gym is when you are working out and the guys stop and watch you... Im more concerned about that than the videos!
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I think its all how you look at the videos. Im a former dancer (not THAT kind, get your minds out of the gutter haha!) and when I look at the *****cat dolls I feel very motivated. I am not going to walk around in a bikini to work (Im a teacher so it could cause controversy!) or slap my *kitten* and shack it for the world to see, but those girls are healthy and VERY talented dancers. I look at their videos and not only does their music pump me up while doing cardio but they motivate me to get toned again.
    For the other comments...I can be the biggest tomboy and love getting messy with tackle football in the rain and snow, but I also LOVE shoes and dressing up! I dont do it for anyone but myself because I think things look good or cute. When I feel I look good I feel wonderful!

My pet peeve at the gym is when you are working out and the guys stop and watch you... Im more concerned about that than the videos!

Very good points! I agree!

I was a dancer too...no...not THAT kind :smile: And I love seeing Beyonce and others up there dancing. It definitely motivates me to not only work hard but to look good! I think Beyonce is one of the most beautiful women.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    [They'll wear high heels to accentuate their legs and lift their bums (which in animal behavior is an indicator of willingness to mate) - despite the fact that wearing high heels has been known to actually cause damage to bone structure in the feet and legs.

Just for the record, I wear heels because they make me feel pretty. :wink: And sometimes sexy.

I :heart: shoes....

*sigh*

I wear heels because I have a DEEP OBSESSION with shoes!!! In my next home I just want one room to display all my shoes on shelves! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

*sigh* I must be one of the only women who doesn't obsess about shoes. I have a couple pair I guess, but I really only wear a couple. I avoid makeup and anything associated with women making themselves "pretty". I think it's because I feel like people would laugh at me for trying to look pretty. I almost imagine them saying, "I don't know why she even tries, nothing can help that."

Sometimes I wish I had the money (because I'd have to expand my wardrobe too), knowledge, and confidence to get some of the prettier shoes I see. Then again it must save me TONS of time getting ready in the morning. :wink:

I'm not big on shoes myself. I am tall and the same height as my husband so I don't wear heels and I have size 11 feet ..so not much fits!
  • czewwhat
    Options

Oh no!!!!! I am guilty as accused, I stop and watch the Sammy six packs do their thing, am I objectifying them? I still say we all want to look good and I think we all want someone to notice it. Just wanted to drop that two cents.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    [They'll wear high heels to accentuate their legs and lift their bums (which in animal behavior is an indicator of willingness to mate) - despite the fact that wearing high heels has been known to actually cause damage to bone structure in the feet and legs.

Just for the record, I wear heels because they make me feel pretty. :wink: And sometimes sexy.

*sigh*

I wear heels because I have a DEEP OBSESSION with shoes!!! In my next home I just want one room to display all my shoes on shelves! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

*sigh* I must be one of the only women who doesn't obsess about shoes. I have a couple pair I guess, but I really only wear a couple. I avoid makeup and anything associated with women making themselves "pretty". I think it's because I feel like people would laugh at me for trying to look pretty. I almost imagine them saying, "I don't know why she even tries, nothing can help that."

Sometimes I wish I had the money (because I'd have to expand my wardrobe too), knowledge, and confidence to get some of the prettier shoes I see. Then again it must save me TONS of time getting ready in the morning. :wink:

I have four pairs of "work shoes" - two pairs for the summer (in brown and black) and two pairs for the winter (brown and black). I'd rather spend money on a toy (I want an inflatable kayak!!) than shoes, lol. Make-up - only if I have a meeting, then I'll swipe some mascara on with a little eye liner, otherwise it's au natural for me. I don't blow dry my hair or wear lipstick - chapstik is my favorite. I'm not drop dead gorgeous, but I get my share of looks. I like to think it's because of my natural beauty radiating outwards :laugh: , but in the end I don't really care. I know who I am and who I love, and either I like you and you like me, or not. Each to his own, and the world still goes round. :drinker:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options

*sigh*

I have four pairs of "work shoes" - two pairs for the summer (in brown and black) and two pairs for the winter (brown and black). I'd rather spend money on a toy (I want an inflatable kayak!!) than shoes, lol. Make-up - only if I have a meeting, then I'll swipe some mascara on with a little eye liner, otherwise it's au natural for me. I don't blow dry my hair or wear lipstick - chapstik is my favorite. I'm not drop dead gorgeous, but I get my share of looks. I like to think it's because of my natural beauty radiating outwards :laugh: , but in the end I don't really care. I know who I am and who I love, and either I like you and you like me, or not. Each to his own, and the world still goes round. :drinker:

I'm not big on make-up either, but on last count, I had nearly 40 pairs of shoes. I've bought 2 more since then.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify for everyone who dresses up for themselves ---- No, you don't.

You dress for the positive attention you receive. I'm not saying you are dressing to make men drool, but you are dressing for some reaction. For example, I like to dress nicely for work to see acceptance from other professionals. Nothing sexual about that at all, but there is positive reinforcement. You could be dressing to make a guy look at you, you could be dressing to be accepted by your kid at his football game, you could be dressing to be unnoticed in the crowds.

The way you dress creates an automatic reaction in others. You are dressing in one fashion or another to get (or NOT get) a specific response from others. Your perception of the way others see you is how you see yourself. Example: Anorexics think other people think they are fat. Another example: How many times have you dressed for an event, thinking you looked cute, only to get there and feel out of place (under OR over dressed) and don't feel so cute anymore? Much of this is based on your assumed perception others have of you.

Just my sociological point of view.

Edit: Feel free to tear this apart. I felt like letting that out, but not sure I care much to defend it. That seems like work. :laugh: Happy Hump Day!
  • czewwhat
    Options
    Just to clarify for everyone who dresses up for themselves ---- No, you don't.

You dress for the positive attention you receive. I'm not saying you are dressing to make men drool, but you are dressing for some reaction. For example, I like to dress nicely for work to see acceptance from other professionals. Nothing sexual about that at all, but there is positive reinforcement. You could be dressing to make a guy look at you, you could be dressing to be accepted by your kid at his football game, you could be dressing to be unnoticed in the crowds.

The way you dress creates an automatic reaction in others. You are dressing in one fashion or another to get (or NOT get) a specific response from others. Your perception of the way others see you is how you see yourself. Example: Anorexics think other people think they are fat. Another example: How many times have you dressed for an event, thinking you looked cute, only to get there and feel out of place (under OR over dressed) and don't feel so cute anymore? Much of this is based on your assumed perception others have of you.

Just my sociological point of view.

Edit: Feel free to tear this apart. I felt like letting that out, but not sure I care much to defend it. That seems like work. :laugh: Happy Hump Day!

Good point, but there are those of us like me who really don't care if we are over dressed, under dressed etc. I once wore my Suzie Wong, Mandarin dress to the Outback Steak House, I knew no one there would be dressed like me, I just love the dress, and I looked great in it. I am a person who makes me happy first. There are just not enough purple haired cat ladies in the world. You have a great Hump day too!