I can't seem to lose any weight?

Options
There's probably a thousand other people out there who have asked the same question, but I can't seem to lose weight or get any smaller no matter what I do!

I train HIIT for about 20 minutes almost every day, and I train team handball every Monday and Thursday, but still I can't seem to lose anything. I eat as healthy as I can, I have cut out almost everything processed, and I average about 1200-1300 calories per day.

When I first started doing HIIT in January, I lost a pound, but then it just stopped again!

What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You'll get more responses if you open your diary
  • nadohs
    nadohs Posts: 7
    Options
    The body takes some time to adjust. First it has to shrink your bones since the body is preparing for less weight due to fewer calories. Bones take a long time to shrink and the body hesitates at this point since it takes a lot of work. It wants to make sure you're serious. Once the bones shrink you will drop weight and plateau again at the next level. Lose weight, wait for bone shrink, lose weight.

It goes weight, wait, weight.

Same is true for weight gain but in reverse.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yep- you should open your diary but please be prepared for very tough feedback. These forums are brutally honest but always w/ the best intention.

Also- I'm not an expert... so I'll wait for the PTs to chime in but is it a good fitness choice to do HIIT everyday? And are you doing the same type of HIITs? If you are then your body has most certainly adapted and you'll need to increase the intensity in order to see changes for sure.
  • HannahMargrethe
    Options
    So, I'm not really doing anything wrong, except for doing too much HIIT? I don't really know what I can replace it with, since there's like 5 feet of snow outside! :S
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Your calories are all over the place. I would recommend sticking to one calorie amount for several weeks before you can even begin to figure out how to adjust. It's difficult to make adjustments when there's no consistency.

The body takes some time to adjust. First it has to shrink your bones since the body is preparing for less weight due to fewer calories. Bones take a long time to shrink and the body hesitates at this point since it takes a lot of work. It wants to make sure you're serious. Once the bones shrink you will drop weight and plateau again at the next level. Lose weight, wait for bone shrink, lose weight.

^^For the love of God, please ignore this.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You should be eating around 1200 net calories, if you're only eating 1200 you may not be giving your body enough fuel. I recommend eating back exercise calories. and I disagree with the previous poster, I think it helps to vary your calories, keeps the body guessing.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

This is nonsense - Bones don't shrink.
  • HannahMargrethe
    Options
    So, if I burn around 300 per day, I should eat an additional 300 if I already have 1200? That makes sense. But then there's the question if I should vary my calorie intake... I honestly don't know what would be best.
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Unless you are not logging everything, it looks like you are ~800 cal under your MFP goal every day. You need to eat more, then your body will start to lose weight. MFP already puts you at a deficit of 500 cal for 1lb/week or 1000 for 2lb/week. If your are then cutting another 800 cal on top of that, you aren't feeding your body enough, it will fight back - preventing you from losing weight.
  • HannahMargrethe
    Options
    momof2winsplu: I hadn't thought of that.. I always feel full, so I figured that I wouldn't need any more than I have already eaten.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

LMAO that has to be a joke.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options

OMG funniest/stupidest thing I have heard all day:noway:
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This post actually made me shout out loud!. WTF? It's absolute nonsense - IGNORE.

• UponThisRock
    Options
    So, if I burn around 300 per day, I should eat an additional 300 if I already have 1200? That makes sense. But then there's the question if I should vary my calorie intake... I honestly don't know what would be best.

MFP is designed so that you have a set amount of calories you eat, and then if you do any exercise, you eat those calories burned during exercise. Your set amount is already below maintenance, so eating your calories burned during exercise should keep you at the same deficit.

Personally, I don't think this is the best way to set up a diet, but there you have it.
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Your diet seems very carb heavy. It may be worth swapping this for some more protein rich foods.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

OMG funniest/stupidest thing I have heard all day:noway:
    So, will I grow taller if I gain more weight? I certainly don't want to get any shorter. I guess I never noticed getting taller while I gained.
  • RileeMarie
    RileeMarie Posts: 113
    Options
    i have religiously been sticking to an exercise and calorie count program for 2 weeks now. to date i have lost 5lbs, 1" off chest, 1" off waist and 1.5" off hips. for me the inches are seemingly come off faster than the weight. someday's i can't reach my calorie count and going to take the advise from other post to buy certain high calorie foods. not sure if you are weighing yourself daily or even keep track of your measurement. i put up a poster board and keep a daily record of vitamins/shakes/exercise then circled the days of the month to do a weight/measurement. it's hard to not want to watch that scale, but if you do (for me) i only got frustrated with not loosing what i thought i had. but the tape measure tells me i am. good luck and keep up the good work. And drink water!!
  • oburley89
    oburley89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    this happened to me recently. i was doing fine in dropping weight, but then i stopped. i was eating 1300 cal/day, so i thought i wasn't fueling my body enough to keep up with all the exercise i was doing. so i upped my calorie intake to 1450 for a few days, then dropped it back to 1300 for a day or 2, then upped it again to 1400, which is where i am now, and i dropped 2.5 pounds doing that.
  • HannahMargrethe
    Options

MFP is designed so that you have a set amount of calories you eat, and then if you do any exercise, you eat those calories burned during exercise. Your set amount is already below maintenance, so eating your calories burned during exercise should keep you at the same deficit.

Personally, I don't think this is the best way to set up a diet, but there you have it.

Oh, okay. But what makes this a bad diet? I'm pretty much blank when it comes to all this, so...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

your bones SHRINK?! that is the best yet....