I can't seem to lose any weight?

Options

Replies

• Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    The body takes some time to adjust. First it has to shrink your bones since the body is preparing for less weight due to fewer calories. Bones take a long time to shrink and the body hesitates at this point since it takes a lot of work. It wants to make sure you're serious. Once the bones shrink you will drop weight and plateau again at the next level. Lose weight, wait for bone shrink, lose weight.

It goes weight, wait, weight.

Same is true for weight gain but in reverse.

some men report that their bones appear larger after weight loss.
    It really is all about appearance, isn't it.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    some men report that their bones appear larger after weight loss.

Or a nice shave-down, either or.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    The body takes some time to adjust. First it has to shrink your bones since the body is preparing for less weight due to fewer calories. Bones take a long time to shrink and the body hesitates at this point since it takes a lot of work. It wants to make sure you're serious. Once the bones shrink you will drop weight and plateau again at the next level. Lose weight, wait for bone shrink, lose weight.

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    "Bone shrink" is probably THE most hilarious thing that I've read on the forums the entire time I've been here!!! :laugh:
  • Tlively13
    Tlively13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    if you are not strength training then I would suggest adding 1 hour 3x a week, skip a day in between. then cardio on the other days. if you still want to do cardio on your strength training days do it after you train cause the cardio depletes your muscles.
    pick m,w,f ot tthurs, sat for strength training, take a rest day. you prolly need to up your intensisty, your body adjust to doing the same workout all the time, so you need to switch it up every two weeks.
    You can start with 2 sets @ 15 reps pick weight that the last 5 reps are difficult.
    clean eating and yes you need to eat enough to be fueling you body.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    So, if I burn around 300 per day, I should eat an additional 300 if I already have 1200? That makes sense. But then there's the question if I should vary my calorie intake... I honestly don't know what would be best.

It's simple. Eat until 0 calories remaining. Right now it seems like you're missing the mark by hundreds.

Ditto. Follow the system for a month before you go trying to change it. Relax, eat and try to hit your numbers given to you.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I haven't read what everyone else wrote, but I looked at your log & your not eating enough! You need to maintain at least 1200/day. It says in your post that you do, but it doesn't reflect on your log.

I would suggest keeping a more acure log and after a week review it to see what it indicates. Focus on stayin within all of your goals. I would suggest more protien, less sodium/sugar/carbs.

This is what has worked for me. At first I lost initial weight, then I stopped and gain some back. Once I evaluated what it was I was eating and what the nutrition was affecting, it made it easier for me to make an overall change.

Also, vary your workouts. Your body will become accustom to the same routine, so you have to trick it by doing something new. I do cardio at 90%HR vs when it did it at a lower amount, it did little to nothing for me.
  • p1sweet
    p1sweet Posts: 2
    Options
    You might try doing a juice fast, every plateau my husband & I have had, juicing has got us past it. You'll need to switch to light exercise though, like walking but housecleaning inside might be comparable. Watch the documentary Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead if you haven't already. Good luck!!
  • nutandbutter
    Options

What did I just read?
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    I sincerely hope that the person who gave advice on "bone shrinking" does not openly give advice to many people or we have a serious problem! lol Who are you and why on earth did you think that was true?!
  • watts7787
    watts7787 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

This, by far, has been the funniest reply to that that I have read this far!! haha I just laughed very loud. :))
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options

PMSL !!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

This, by far, has been the funniest reply to that that I have read this far!! haha I just laughed very loud. :))

tumblr_lpyw2pNhaZ1r0w4bgo1_500.jpg?1319478951
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

This is nonsense - Bones don't shrink.

Well they do, but not in this context. Bones shrink with age, calcium loss, and osteoperosis. It has nothing whatsoever to do with you weight and/or body mass.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Well they do, but not in this context. Bones shrink with age, calcium loss, and osteoperosis. It has nothing whatsoever to do with you weight and/or body mass.

Gold star for this lady.

Bones do not so much shrink as thin out due to loss of calcium & protein but that is semantics really.

What this has to do with a weight loss plateau is as yet to be determined
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Gold star for this lady.

Bones do not so much shrink as thin out due to loss of calcium & protein but that is semantics really.

What this has to do with a weight loss plateau is as yet to be determined

:wink:
  • bingbongman
    bingbongman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There's probably a thousand other people out there who have asked the same question, but I can't seem to lose weight or get any smaller no matter what I do!

I train HIIT for about 20 minutes almost every day, and I train team handball every Monday and Thursday, but still I can't seem to lose anything. I eat as healthy as I can, I have cut out almost everything processed, and I average about 1200-1300 calories per day.

When I first started doing HIIT in January, I lost a pound, but then it just stopped again!

What am I doing wrong?

Cut the carbs; increase protein.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Be very concerned if your bones begin to shrink. Can you target which bones shrink? I would hate for one leg to shrink and the other not too lol.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Be very concerned if your bones begin to shrink. Can you target which bones shrink? I would hate for one leg to shrink and the other not too lol.
    How many times do we have to tell you people - you can't spot reduce bone shrinkage!!! :laugh: