I can't seem to lose any weight?

Options

Replies

• Goalsforsusie
    Goalsforsusie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Eat a big breakfast!!!!
    You are not eating enough your body is holding on to the fat it is in staravtion mode.
  • ksiverts
    ksiverts Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The body takes some time to adjust. First it has to shrink your bones since the body is preparing for less weight due to fewer calories. Bones take a long time to shrink and the body hesitates at this point since it takes a lot of work. It wants to make sure you're serious. Once the bones shrink you will drop weight and plateau again at the next level. Lose weight, wait for bone shrink, lose weight.

It goes weight, wait, weight.

Same is true for weight gain but in reverse.
    This make no sense. Do not listen to this, you cannot shrink your bones, just your muscle mass if you don't take in enough protein!!! And eat more calories
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    So, if I burn around 300 per day, I should eat an additional 300 if I already have 1200? That makes sense. But then there's the question if I should vary my calorie intake... I honestly don't know what would be best.

MFP is designed so that you have a set amount of calories you eat, and then if you do any exercise, you eat those calories burned during exercise. Your set amount is already below maintenance, so eating your calories burned during exercise should keep you at the same deficit.

Personally, I don't think this is the best way to set up a diet, but there you have it.

Oh, okay. But what makes this a bad diet? I'm pretty much blank when it comes to all this, so...

I wouldn't say it's "bad," just a bit more complicated than necessary, in my opinion. Also, estimating calories burned from exercise can be problematic.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT as well -- I increased my protein and eat less carbs. Also are you challenging yourself enough in HIIT? Maybe up your weights -- You should be struggling to lift them as time goes on through the workout :) I also go over my 1200 limit in cals since I'm working out so much -- I eat about 1400-1500 now
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    The body takes some time to adjust. First it has to shrink your bones since the body is preparing for less weight due to fewer calories. Bones take a long time to shrink and the body hesitates at this point since it takes a lot of work. It wants to make sure you're serious. Once the bones shrink you will drop weight and plateau again at the next level. Lose weight, wait for bone shrink, lose weight.

There are a lot of new people here and I hope for the love of Pete, they use common sense. This advice sounds like something from a witchcraft book (for dummies).

For one thing exercise signals bones to replace cells making them stronger, not to shrink.

Besides that, you should log EVERYTHING you eat to get an accurate accounting of calories consumed. Sometimes guessing can be totally off.
  • HannahMargrethe
    Options
    So, all in all, I should up my calorie intake, and cut some of the carbs? It makes sense to me, so I'll try that! :)
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

If there a hall of fame archive for totally moronic replies THIS has to top the list it is like the Babe Ruth's of moronic replies Thank you for making milk come out my nose
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Buy a $20 food scale and weigh your foods.

Start weight training.

Take measurements.

Be patient. "It takes time for your bones to shrink". . . . :laugh: That was priceless.
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options

This is a JOKE, right?!! The LAST thing anyone of us wants to do is to shrink our bones!

Quite the reverse in fact. We need to be doing resistance exercise to INCREASE our bone mass to protecct us from osteoporosis in our later years. Retention of bone mass should be a lifelong goal.
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    Whoa as a P.C.A. Nurse let me first say:please understand that the person saying your bones"shrink"as you lose weight was confused or misinformed!!
    I agree with making your diary open to the public to get good ideas,suggestions,and tips.Sounds like the first problem is your not eating enough.Cutting processed food is great,working out is awesome-but if you don't get enough healthy calories your body does go into "starvation" mode.I seriously recommend eating a healthy snack every two hours in between meals-apples,carrots,popcorn,celery,cucumber,etc.Please remember to eat enough protein especially after a workout.Feel free to add me of you want-anyone:) oh and be patient this takes time to do right,keep up the great work.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    So, if I burn around 300 per day, I should eat an additional 300 if I already have 1200? That makes sense. But then there's the question if I should vary my calorie intake... I honestly don't know what would be best.

It's simple. Eat until 0 calories remaining. Right now it seems like you're missing the mark by hundreds.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options

Although the thought that bones will shrink or grow is pretty silly, Bones will actually get more dense/less dense depending on the load they bear. Osteoblasts are cells in the bone that create bone matter and Osteoclasts are cells in the bone that "eat" bone matter. If you begin bearing more weight (by gaining weight for example) the balance of Osteoblasts and and Osteoclasts will shift to make your bones denser and vice versa. That's why astronauts who spend a long period of time in zero gravity suffer from bone atrophy. That's also why some doctors suggest that older women with a risk of osteoporosis do resistance training.

BUT - I'm sure the change in bone density has a negligible effect on your weight :flowerforyou:
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

some men report that their bones appear larger after weight loss.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Up your calories... Only sedentary people should be eating 1200 calories a day. Your body is likely in starvation mode
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
    :flowerforyou:
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I really think that you aren't eating enough, when I upped my calories to include my exercise calories I lost weight better, more consistently. Also I got a heart rate monitor, a Polar FT4, so that I know exactly how many calories I'm burning.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

uh, wut?

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry hysterically.