Favorite high-protein snack?

Options
ItsVJ
ItsVJ Posts: 107 Member
I'm looking for ways to keep myself from being hungry during the day. What's your favorite high-protein snack, or secret to keeping the hungries at bay?

Replies

• 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    Hard boiled egg whites, almonds, lots of water, a slice of stone ground 100% whole wheat bread with 1Tbsp peanut butter, 90 calorie special K bar, things like that. The last item is more of a treat than a healthy choice, but for 90 calories, I like it.
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese and greek yogurt, and fruit smoothie with a scoop of protein powder
  • Simona38
    Simona38 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese, chicken strips, protein bars [Quest brand - 20g protein and low in carbs].
  • naseak
    naseak Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just dicover vanilla flavoured cottage cheese, taste like a dessert but full of protein. An individual serving is only 110cal
  • Acmcneil0908
    Options
    I'm looking for ways to keep myself from being hungry during the day. What's your favorite high-protein snack, or secret to keeping the hungries at bay?

I like the yogurt honey peanut protein energy bar and chocolate protein shake. All from Aldi grocery store. Half a bar for morning snak and other half for afternoon snack. So far so good! Good luck!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I would avoid nuts. They are not high protein and they pack some serious calories due to their fat content. Yes, the fat is good, but if you're not aware of the calories, you could do more harm than good.

For high protein snacks, I suggest

protein brownie: Scoop of whey + 1/2 tsp baking powder and a 1/3 cup water. Mug + microwave for 45 sec on 60% power and 10 - 15 sec on high. Easy enough to do at work.

Beef Jerky - high sodium content but otherwise a good option that takes you a while to chew.

Plain flavored Fat Free Greek Yogurt w/ a scoop of whey.

Cottage cheese w/ scoop of whey

Or you could make something at home and bring with you. Protein brownies, protein cheesecake, etc.
  • ItsVJ
    ItsVJ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would avoid nuts. They are not high protein and they pack some serious calories due to their fat content. Yes, the fat is good, but if you're not aware of the calories, you could do more harm than good.

protein brownie: Scoop of whey + 1/2 tsp baking powder and a 1/3 cup water. Mug + microwave for 45 sec on 60% power and 10 - 15 sec on high. Easy enough to do at work.

Beef Jerky - high sodium content but otherwise a good option that takes you a while to chew.

Or you could make something at home and bring with you. Protein brownies, protein cheesecake, etc.

Great ideas - do you use/avoid any particular kind or brand of whey?? I've heard that some protein powders are full other sugar and other junk.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Smoothies. Mine are strawberries, a banana, 1 scoop non fat powdered milk, 1 scoop protien whey, 8 pieces of ice and a touch of water. Gotta have a blender. I add the powder last a little at a time so it wont stick to the sides. I've ordered some PB2 peanut butter powder so I can have peanut butter and banana smoothies and to cook with.

I've used EAS and Designer brands of protien and like them both. Read the label on them. Some claim higher protien but when you read the fine print its for 2 or 3 scoops and will cost more.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs with a tad of salt on it. Mmmmm!
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I also love apple slices with rf peanut butter.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs
    Lean Ham and Lettuce

I drink a few cups of tea a day with skimmed milk so I get a bit of protein from that.

I think I might need to find some other snacks that I might enjoy. It's hard resisting foods that are bad but taste so good lol.
  • Sofithomas
    Sofithomas Posts: 118
    Options
    I know nuts are calorific but they are really really good for satisfying you. Ever sincr i upped my good fat intake with nuts i have snacked less and list bodyfat. Give me 5 or so almonds and that keeps me going for a couple of hours!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I actually just finished eating what I think will be one of my favorite snacks. There is work involved in creating this snack but I don't mind since you can make a large batch once a week. It is called Clean Eggs Muffins. It is a recipe I got from Oxygen.com
    I updated mine to include canadian bacon and cheese. Here is the nutritional information for the way I make it:
    Cal: 82
    Fat: 3
    Carbs:2
    Protein: 11

I made one batch of 12 last night. I took 2 for today and the rest is in the fridge.
  • Legalchica
    Legalchica Posts: 462
    Options
    That is too easy.... :devil:
  • amyallenstockwell
    amyallenstockwell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just had a salad yesterday that I added the Safcol Salmon with Lemon and Dill (3.5 oz)Pack no refridgeration is 20 grams of protein. Added spinach a little feta cheese and a ff salad dressing. So for less than 200 cal and 20 grams of protein, I had a HUGE salad with lots of protein.

Egg salad with lite mayo, ff cottage cheese poppy seeds

HUMMUS! with carrots/cucumbers/colored bell peppers/ whole wheat crackers Yummy low cal and high protein!
  • mlynch422
    Options
    Clean Egg Muffins sound so yummy! I will have to try this this weekend - I'm sure my husband will love them also.
  • funmamaof4
    funmamaof4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As one of the other members posted, some good protein snacks are: cottage cheese with low-fat sugar free yougurt or greek yougurt, string cheese and a piece of fruit, protein shake such as EAS CarbVantage shakes (low-cal, low-surgar and fairly reasonable for a premade) and are easy to take with you and taste good, whole wheat english muffin with natural peanut butter, and an apple with a little natural peanut butter. If I'm craving sweets I'll have a homeade protein shake or EAS CarbVantage shake or peanut butter with an apple. The protein will curb your cravings and keep you full.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Clean Egg Muffins sound so yummy! I will have to try this this weekend - I'm sure my husband will love them also.

I would post the link to the recipe here but can't access the website from work. If you go to Oxygen.com and then to the recipes section and select Eggs, you should be able to find it.
    If you make them, make sure you don't fill your muffin pan all the way to the top. I did this an it spilled over a bit. Results were not too pretty but they were yummy.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options

Great ideas - do you use/avoid any particular kind or brand of whey?? I've heard that some protein powders are full other sugar and other junk.

You're right, there are lots of choices out there. I find that the best ones can't easily be purchased in your typical brick / mortar stores and if they can, they are a much higher price even when you factor in the shipping from an online source.

Here's a few that I use, which are good tasting, low calorie, high protein and few fat / carbs / sugar.

Trutein Vanilla or Chocolate
    Myofusion Chocolate or Cookies and Cream
    Dymatize ISO-100

The Dymatize I just got in last night so I've only tried it once. It has ZERO carbs and ZERO fat at only 106 calories per 25g of protein. The taste isn't as full/rich as those I mentioned above but if you're on a tight budget sometimes you've gotta make a cut somewhere right? I'm not talking price either.

The taste of the Dymatize ISO-100 was good I thought, but it doesn't work in the microwave brownie I mentioned unless you like eating rubber-bands.

I usually order from bodybuilding.com, their shipping is fast and reasonably priced. Their prices are comparable with other online sources, sometimes $1 or $2 higher. If you buy there, be sure to look online for a 10% off coupon code, they're all over the place.