Favorite high-protein snack?

Options

Replies

• amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I actually just finished eating what I think will be one of my favorite snacks. There is work involved in creating this snack but I don't mind since you can make a large batch once a week. It is called Clean Eggs Muffins. It is a recipe I got from Oxygen.com
    I updated mine to include canadian bacon and cheese. Here is the nutritional information for the way I make it:
    Cal: 82
    Fat: 3
    Carbs:2
    Protein: 11

I made one batch of 12 last night. I took 2 for today and the rest is in the fridge.

Um, could you share the recipe?
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Grilled lean meats/poultry/fish.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Columbian coffee.... black with splenda..... 32oz.... Mmmm.... Keurig, I love you!
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg whites, raw almonds, almond butter, avocado, a green smoothie with some raw protein powder (my favorite kind is "beyond organic"), plain greek yogurt with a little stevia and vanilla, some baked tofu - those are all good and quick sources of protein.
  • cjdstephenson
    cjdstephenson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I so miss my peanut butter, thank you for the post. Is PBS not available in any grocery stores; not even Whole Foods?
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Eat something every 3 hours.

I like Pure protien bars, they have like 20g protien, 2 sugars and no carbs.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I actually just finished eating what I think will be one of my favorite snacks. There is work involved in creating this snack but I don't mind since you can make a large batch once a week. It is called Clean Eggs Muffins. It is a recipe I got from Oxygen.com
    I updated mine to include canadian bacon and cheese. Here is the nutritional information for the way I make it:
    Cal: 82
    Carbs:2

I made one batch of 12 last night. I took 2 for today and the rest is in the fridge.

Um, could you share the recipe?

I did a search for that recipe and they do look nice. Here's the site:

http://www.oxygenmag.com/Nutrition/Articles/Clean-Egg-Muffins.aspx

Looking at them and the ingredients I was thinking of making some stuffed peppers, maybe stuff it with scrambled egg, some lean ham, spinach, etc. Sprinkle a little low fat cheddar.
  • FollowMeFit
    FollowMeFit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The egg white muffins come from oxygenmag.com

Great magazine for women's fitness and clean nutrition. I highly recommend it.
  • alikat789
    alikat789 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I went to look up the recipe for the Clean Eggs. Yumm they look good, looks like i have a new recipe to try this weekend.

• Tlively13
    Tlively13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for ways to keep myself from being hungry during the day. What's your favorite high-protein snack, or secret to keeping the hungries at bay?
    eat 5 or six mini meals per day
    breakfast
    snack
    lunch
    snack
    supper
    keep it healthy
  • Tlively13
    Options
    I went to look up the recipe for the Clean Eggs. Yumm they look good, looks like i have a new recipe to try this weekend.

oxygen magazine is great
  • alikat789
    alikat789 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oops, guess other MFP's were thinking the same as me. :laugh:
  • FitBritt1
    FitBritt1 Posts: 14
    Options
    Yogurt, string cheese, peanut butter and beef jerky :flowerforyou:
  • Tlively13
    Options
    whey protein you can make smoothie with no added sugars and healthy, clean protein with no added junk. be sure you have isolate protein or organic.
    then concentrate has added fat you dont want
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll type the recipe. I am calling it Clean Eggs, Ham and Cheese Muffins

Servings: 12 (medium sized muffin pan)

14 Egg Whites
    4 Whole Eggs
    4 Oz Canadian Bacon
    1.5 Oz Cheese (I used Merlot Bellavitano Cheese , your calories / serving might be a bit lower with a low cal cheese)
    4 Oz pepper (I used red and yellow)
    1 Stock Green Onion
    0.5 tsp dried Oregano
    Dash of Salt and Pepper
    Oil Spray
    Recipe also calls for shredded carrots, zucchini, and parsley but I didn't have any.

Preheat oven to 375
    Dice / Chop vegetables, canadian bacon, cheese and mix in a bowl
    Mix Eggs with egg whites
    Spray muffin pan with oil spray
    Add a bit of the egg mixture to the muffin pan
    Add the ham/cheese/vegetable mix to the muffin pan. I used a spoon and eye balled the proportion.
    Fill the rest with the egg mixture (recipe says to fill all the way, I did this and it spilled over so you might want to fill it to a tad below the top.
    Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the muffins raise and are slighlty golden on top.
    This stays well in the fridge for up to 6 days or can be frozen. If frozen, put them in the fridge overnight before eating.

Calories: 82
    Carbs: 2

You can play with it and add / change toppings.
  • MariaMariaM
    Options
    Thanks Ladies! In the time it took me to type the recipe you posted the link!!

I wasn't quite sure if it was oxygen.com or oxygenmag.com. Thanks for the correction.
  • dsagaties1963
    Options
    when I go to oxygen.com for the clean egg muffin, it comes up with 2 but when I click the links it says invalid. You are talking about www.oxygen.com correct? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You Found the recipe thank you
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Celery with pb.....Cottage cheese mixed with yogurt.....low fat cheese.....protein shake with 1/2 banana....

Cucumber water or lemon water. Many times we are thirsty when we think we are hungry. Who knew. :)

Good thread. Thanks for starting it.
  • MariaMariaM
    Options
    when I go to oxygen.com for the clean egg muffin, it comes up with 2 but when I click the links it says invalid. You are talking about www.oxygen.com correct? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

I was referring to the Oxygen Magazine but had the website wrong. Here is the link that was posted by others.

I also posted the recipe for what I did in page 2

• mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the egg muffin recipe - it looks great for a snack.

I just tried a recipe from a MFP friend and its heavenly: Melt a tablespoon of peanut butter and mix it with a carton of non-fat vanilla greek yogurt. Just like custard - it was easy and delicious. The facts: 225 calories, 8 grams fat, 20 grams protein. I used it at breakfast because it's a bit too high in calories for a snack.