National Self Harm Awareness Day

Options

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yeah, wish I'd known about it earlier too, although I haven't been anywhere that people will notice. Maybe I'll do it tonight for tomorrow in the gym, see if anyone notices. Is this an american thing? or an International Day?
  • EmilyGetsSkinny95
    EmilyGetsSkinny95 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm going to draw a tiny orange butterfly on my wrist. I have friends who have/do self-harm, so this is a topic close to my heart. I don't always know how to show I care, that I'm concerned, that I love them, but if a tiny orange butterfly shows my support, a tiny orange butterfly it is.:flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I was not aware... but self-harm is bad... and ED's are bad too!

Go orange!!
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    I appreciate this. There is a lot of stigma over self harm and I still haven't found the strength to tell anyone yet. But I like that you're trying to raise awareness about it. Perhaps it will be less stigmatised one day, then I can admit what I do.

Thank you.

I will try and find anything orange that I can. My headphones are orange :)
  • KadenSmile
    KadenSmile Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support... I'm a 'recovering cutter', and sometimes forget that people do care...

So, thank you!

And yes, I'm wearing orange today
  • sdickerson71303
    sdickerson71303 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Im wearing an orange-ish top... well its between orange and red soo lets call it burnt sienna. But I do have an actual orange on my desk. That shows some support right.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    just drew some orange on me too!

Edited to add: would have worn orange but didnt know ahead of time!
    I work with kids/teens with a variety of struggles, and often self harm in one form or another is part of their daily struggle.
  • eatmeingo
    eatmeingo Posts: 134
    Options
    Yeah, wish I'd known about it earlier too, although I haven't been anywhere that people will notice. Maybe I'll do it tonight for tomorrow in the gym, see if anyone notices. Is this an american thing? or an International Day?

It's American I believe. Doesn't mean you can't show support otherwise, though! I have friends who write LOVE on their wrists and arms every time it starts to fade.
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    I appreciate this. There is a lot of stigma over self harm and I still haven't found the strength to tell anyone yet. But I like that you're trying to raise awareness about it. Perhaps it will be less stigmatised one day, then I can admit what I do.

Thank you.

♥♥♥ Keep on keeping on. It may have a stigma on it, like EDs do, but if we continue to let it be that, then nothing will ever be done about it. When people understand, there'll be more help. I know a girl on my tumblr who also suffers from an ED and she just got kicked out of recovery because her insurance ran out. This shouldn't be happening.
  • azazelrabbit
    Options

Thank you.

♥♥♥ Keep on keeping on. It may have a stigma on it, like EDs do, but if we continue to let it be that, then nothing will ever be done about it. When people understand, there'll be more help. I know a girl on my tumblr who also suffers from an ED and she just got kicked out of recovery because her insurance ran out. This shouldn't be happening.

I know. It's one of the many things that happen that people just don't know about or understand, but it still happens.
    I just think this thread is great because a few more people might understand Self-Harm and that makes the world a better place.
    Thanks for the support :)
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    Everyone who's posted, thank you again. :) I want to friend all of you!
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I know now, and have passed it on! :heart:

Orange highlighter heart on my wrist, love on the other. :flowerforyou:
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I didn't know til now!! I'll go put on some colors when I get out of work :D
  • erilynbmore
    erilynbmore Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I fully support this. It is very close to me. I have love written in orange on the scars on my arm.
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    I didn't know til now!! I'll go put on some colors when I get out of work :D

Thank you :)
    I fully support this. It is very close to me. I have love written in orange on the scars on my arm.

:) ♥ I want anyone who's hurt themselves to know they have my full support! Message me any time.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I didn't know about today. I didnt have an orange hi-lighter BUT I did have an orange Sharpie so I will probably be showing support tomorrow too. :flowerforyou:
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    I didn't know about today. I didnt have an orange hi-lighter BUT I did have an orange Sharpie so I will probably be showing support tomorrow too. :flowerforyou:

Thank you! ♥♥ Better late than never. :)
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post. Until last night I had no idea....

Going right now to find an orange ribbon.
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    Thank you for the post. Until last night I had no idea....

Going right now to find an orange ribbon.

♥ Thanks hon.
  • eatmeingo
    Options

I'm sorry. I'm totally supportive of your cause to bring awareness to the issue, but it seems to me that coloring on your old scars would be more triggering than a bad joke.

Because it's both a reminder to ourselves of what we've overcome/need to overcome, as well as covering them up. Which most people who self harm do, to hide.

Making a joke out of it, however, is triggering because most people self harm *because* they've been made fun of or picked on or abused physically and/or verbally.

That's how I see it at least. I'm not every person in the world, obviously, but that's why I find it offensive.