National Self Harm Awareness Day

Options

Replies

• eatmeingo
    eatmeingo Posts: 134
    Options
    Now that I read that again I realize I might sound whiny or over sensitive. But I'm just a bit upset that such a positive thread is being made fun of.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I used to cut and I laughed at the picture
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Now that I read that again I realize I might sound whiny or over sensitive. But I'm just a bit upset that such a positive thread is being made fun of.

Well the thing is that people post stuff like that just to get a reaction. Not because he wants you to cut yourself.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    As eating disorders can be considered a form of self harm (and often include more "common" acts of self harm as a result,) I think this goes here.

Who's wearing orange today?

Hopefully this'll go over better than the posts about February being ED Awareness Month. Seriously people, show a little support.

I am aware and give full support, but don't have orange to wear

You can do something simple, like wearing an orange ribbon, writing "LOVE" on your arms, or drawing an orange ribbon on your wrist with some marker. :)

Cool ideas.......will do something! :)

I love orange!
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    Honestly it was not pointed at people, just the emo group, which I think is funny. It certainly was not directed at you.

...and on a sick side, i appreciate you calling me an *kitten*. :flowerforyou:

Oh my... :blushing:

But, seriously, thanks for explaining it a bit better. (Record shows I AM whiny and over sensitive and get upset over little things so the reassurance helps.)

Somehow I wasn't emo in school?? Maybe because the music sucked.

I was the weird kid who sat by herself and didn't eat lunch.
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that... picture.

I'm guessing you meant it as a joke, but -

1. That wasn't exactly appropriate.
    2, I'm not an 'emo' (or in any other category. I'm me. That is all)

It's not appropriate at all. I don't see how anyone can laugh at it. It's offensive and triggering.

I'm sorry. I'm totally supportive of your cause to bring awareness to the issue, but it seems to me that coloring on your old scars would be more triggering than a bad joke.

Because it's both a reminder to ourselves of what we've overcome/need to overcome, as well as covering them up. Which most people who self harm do, to hide.

Making a joke out of it, however, is triggering because most people self harm *because* they've been made fun of or picked on or abused physically and/or verbally.

That's how I see it at least. I'm not every person in the world, obviously, but that's why I find it offensive.

I would just like to add that this is exactly why I thought people would self harm, for the above mentioned reasons and have come to realize that it could happen to anyone. Every single person deals with the stresses of THEIR life differently. I also understand that some people will never understand unless or until they have ever been in this situation either as the harmer themselves or just a loved one of someone who has.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Honestly it was not pointed at people, just the emo group, which I think is funny. It certainly was not directed at you.

...and on a sick side, i appreciate you calling me an *kitten*. :flowerforyou:

Oh my... :blushing:

But, seriously, thanks for explaining it a bit better. (Record shows I AM whiny and over sensitive and get upset over little things so the reassurance helps.)

Somehow I wasn't emo in school??

I was the weird kid who sat by herself and didn't eat lunch.
    If you sniffed pixie stix and crunched captn' crucnch in your sandwich...I would have totally given you a valentines. LOL
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I cut for totally diffrent reasons than other people did,so maybe i just dont get it
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    Thank you for that... picture.

I'm guessing you meant it as a joke, but -

1. That wasn't exactly appropriate.
    2, I'm not an 'emo' (or in any other category. I'm me. That is all)

It's not appropriate at all. I don't see how anyone can laugh at it. It's offensive and triggering.

I'm sorry. I'm totally supportive of your cause to bring awareness to the issue, but it seems to me that coloring on your old scars would be more triggering than a bad joke.

Because it's both a reminder to ourselves of what we've overcome/need to overcome, as well as covering them up. Which most people who self harm do, to hide.

Making a joke out of it, however, is triggering because most people self harm *because* they've been made fun of or picked on or abused physically and/or verbally.

That's how I see it at least. I'm not every person in the world, obviously, but that's why I find it offensive.

I would just like to add that this is exactly why I thought people would self harm, for the above mentioned reasons and have come to realize that it could happen to anyone. Every single person deals with the stresses of THEIR life differently. I also understand that some people will never understand unless or until they have ever been in this situation either as the harmer themselves or just a loved one of someone who has.

Exactly. One of the reasons it's so hard to help is that anyone could do it, and most of the time people see the signs and never say anything.

I remember in high school, a girl actually went to the councilor about her cutting and the lady didn't do anything about it. No school therapy, no call to her parents to get her help. She just shrugged and told her to stop.

And that isn't right.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,098 Member
    Options
    good, I mostly posted for the OP. . .

• msrena
    msrena Posts: 21
    Options
    TWLOHA... LOVE THEM. ORANGE IT IS.
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    Mine mostly comes from the fact I also have an ED.

Ate at dinner? Hurt yourself. Get a cookie? Hurt yourself. Have something besides fruit? Hurt yourself. The list goes on.

I also abuse diet pills because "they're not working fast enough!" At least, that's how it started.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I read through this thread early this morning. I see the profile photo has changed, the food diary has changed, and the profile itself has changed. Either you are jerking our chain for attention or you need more help than you will ever get on MFP. I am surprised this hasn't been locked up yet. I joined MFP because the concept is based on a healthy approach to life including a HEALTHY diet and exercise.

And for those of you who will jump down my throat for being insensitive: How many of you are capable of supporting or counseling a person with self destructive disorder in a manner so as NOT to cause more damage? I can't imagine what it would be like to want to hurt myself in order to feel better, but I hope these people are getting professional help and not depending on MFPs "experts" for help.
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    Self-Harm isn't actually what most people seem to think it is.
    It'd be really nice if people didn't stigmatise or label it (I repeat, I'm NOT an emo!)

It's just a way of dealing with life in the same way people get angry, or cry in a corner, or talk to a psychologist, or smoke, or overeat, or take drugs.
    You're telling me you've never done any one of these? Or deal with life another way?
    It might not be the most productive way of dealing with life, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Just to clarify :)
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    I read through this thread early this morning. I see the profile photo has changed, the food diary has changed, and the profile itself has changed. Either you are jerking our chain for attention or you need more help than you will ever get on MFP. I am surprised this hasn't been locked up yet. I joined MFP because the concept is based on a healthy approach to life including a HEALTHY diet and exercise.

And for those of you who will jump down my throat for being insensitive: How many of you are capable of supporting or counseling a person with self destructive disorder in a manner so as NOT to cause more damage? I can't imagine what it would be like to want to hurt myself in order to feel better, but I hope these people are getting professional help and not depending on MFPs "experts" for help.

My profile has changed? Yes I changed my picture, but nothing else really. All this thread was for was to make people aware of what day it was. I'm sorry for explaining what and why I self harm, I won't talk about it anymore. I just enjoy sharing things I can't talk about IRL with people who may actually understand.

I joined MFP because I want to recover. It helps me stay on track, and there are people supporting healthy weight loss.
  • delilah47
    Options
    It'd be really nice if people didn't stigmatise or label it (I repeat, I'm NOT an emo!)

It's just a way of dealing with life in the same way people get angry, or cry in a corner, or talk to a psychologist, or smoke, or overeat, or take drugs.
    You're telling me you've never done any one of these? Or deal with life another way?
    It might not be the most productive way of dealing with life, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Getting angry, crying in the corner, taking drugs, over eating, cutting yourself, burning yourself... which ones of those are "right"? Professional help.
  • eatmeingo
    Options

Getting angry, crying in the corner, taking drugs, over eating, cutting yourself, burning yourself... which ones of those are "right"? Professional help.

You seem to think it's easy to get professional help. It's expensive and from past experiences, not very useful.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Other than a little over-sensitivity to a bad joke (which is completely understandable), I don't really see how the OP has warranted this. She didn't ask for help. She asked for compassion. Your post totally shows a lack thereof.
  • delilah47
    Options

My profile has changed? Yes I changed my picture, but nothing else really. All this thread was for was to make people aware of what day it was. I'm sorry for explaining what and why I self harm, I won't talk about it anymore. I just enjoy sharing things I can't talk about IRL with people who may actually understand.

I joined MFP because I want to recover. It helps me stay on track, and there are people supporting healthy weight loss.

You give us too much credit. I would venture to say most of us are shocked and don't really know how to react. That's why I think people who are trying to help you by giving advice could possibly be doing more harm than good. If I saw a person wounded with a bullet in their body, would I be able to take it out without killing the person? I wouldn't want to take that chance. I also wouldn't want to chance giving you advice or trying to understand why you feel the need to do what you do. A professional must help in either of these cases.

No further posts here.. good luck, I hope you find the answer. :flowerforyou:
  • eatmeingo
    Options

Other than a little over-sensitivity to a bad joke (which is completely understandable), I don't really see how the OP has warranted this. She didn't ask for help. She asked for compassion. Your post totally shows a lack thereof.

♥ Thank you.