ADD/ADHD

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    For some reason, this comic makes me sad.
    Me too, because it's anti-treatment propaganda. Don't take your meds, kids, your inability to function as a normal human being is what makes you *special*. Bullsh**.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Me too, because it's anti-treatment propaganda. Don't take your meds, kids, your inability to function as a normal human being is what makes you *special*. Bullsh**.

I kind of took it more for an "innocence lost" kind of thing. But meds aren't for everyone and I'm pretty sure Binary didn't post this to start a debate on psychiatric meds. Why don't you just chuckle at the joke and keep it movin'?
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    My meds were sitting on my hands during church because I couldn't be still and wanted to mess with everything.

JM
  • scribe313
    scribe313 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

IlZ5Y.png

Makes me sad too, like the kid just lost the part of himself that made him unlike every other tool in the box.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Ha! My husband is the poster child for adult ADD. He was in his 30's when he was diagnosed and suddenly it all made sense. He has meds he takes when he really needs to concentrate but for the most part he doesn't medicate because he says he feels boring and fuzzy when he takes them. He will literally trail off sometimes in the middle of a sentence when something distracts him. I've gotten used to it and tease him now. 'Ooooh, look, shiny!' :tongue:
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    My wife has learned my train-jumping ways. She just laughs and tries to follow my never ending stream of jumping from track to track.

Pinup - You husband sounds a lot like me, but I've never bother being actually diagnosed.

JM
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    mental.gif
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    Pillow ninja! I was trying to catch what was pulled up on the computer monitor & read the poster behind.... I'm easily distracted!

JM
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    My wife has learned my train-jumping ways. She just laughs and tries to follow my never ending stream of jumping from track to track.

Pinup - You husband sounds a lot like me, but I've never bother being actually diagnosed.

JM

I do that in conversations but I don't really have trouble concentrating what I'm working on. I don't think having your thoughts move quickly is necessarily ADD/ADHD.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    <snip> For B_J :flowerforyou:

Makes me sad too, like the kid just lost the part of himself that made him unlike every other tool in the box.

It is sad.

I've tried meds for various issues. I am always best when unmedicated. It's a crutch. Go ahead and attack. I'm old enough to know myself.

If you complain about stuff, doctors give you a pill. That's what they do. For me, there are better coping tools.

• the_journeyman
    Options
    That's only one part of it, I leave a trail of items anywhere I go because I simply just get completely distracted and forget whatever I was doing. Often if I just jump track and you ask me what I said, I have no idea. Some days are worse than others.

JM
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options

IlZ5Y.png

This is why I stopped taking my ADHD medication. It's no fun. There are many other things you can incorporate to help remember, stay on task, and complete things.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    That's only one part of it, I leave a trail of items anywhere I go because I simply just get completely distracted and forget whatever I was doing. Often if I just jump track and you ask me what I said, I have no idea. Some days are worse than others.

JM

I forget where I put things too. I guess everybody can have a tendency to do these things sometimes. The difference is how it impacts your life.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    this is me!!! :)
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options

IlZ5Y.png

It is sad. Clown it's nice to know you have a little heart- even if it is kind of shriveled up and black.
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    It's a great impact, I've had to learn how to live with it. My parents (thank god they actually parented) helped me manage it. I had couldn't get stuff done, never remembered what I had to do for homework. At the same time I could give you every detail about something else that was completely unrelated to anything. School was tough because I couldn't control my brain. Without intervention I would have never been able to pass anything.

JM
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

JM

I know how your wife feels! We are very special, for putting up with your confusing ways :wink: I love my husband to bits, but a lot of the stuff he did used to drive me CRAZY until I finally figured out it's just how his mind works.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i have ADD and i just spent the last 30 mins drinking coffee and doing nothing. then i click on this. man i need to be more productive haha. must do worrrkkk.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

IlZ5Y.png

And this is exactly why I can't bring myself to put my son on meds.
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Has someone been talking to my co-workers? My nickname is actually squirrel to all of them! hahahaha.